2.5 Video Settings - VR Quality/Performance Balance

StrongHarm

DCS has a hook for ASW and a specific implementation of it. You can turn it off and on within DCS without touching OH.

I don't know why you bring up OH. I already said I don't run it unless I want to run something from it. It's a storefront is all. just like Steam isn't Steam VR. Speaking of Steam VR which runs OpenVR and which Oculus also supports-when you run an OpenVR title in the Rift you can toggle ASW. This is because it's part of Oculus's software. ASW is always on by default unless you tell it otherwise.

I haven't read anything suggesting DCS has a specific implementation of ASW and would certainly be interested in any link you could offer regarding that. It certainly isn't necessary for them to do so, but if true, I see no advantage in it, as DCS artifacts as badly as anything I have seem when it's running.

Edited by dogbite

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read anything suggesting DCS has a specific implementation of ASW

That would be news to me as well... those keyboard shortcuts afaik have always applied to the Rift software/runtime.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If I turn are off the whole picture is distorted with movement

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That could be because you have graphic settings too high and the CPU/GPU can not keep up, this is what ASW normally takes care of. Presumably ASW throttles back some of the processing so you don't get that effect normally.

I have been experimenting with leaving some GPU headroom I.E. not pushing GPU to *100% and running 45FPS and so far it's very smooth and tracks movement 100% with little to no noticeable lag.

* GPU usage varies between 70 and 90% with peaks to 95% plus, interestingly if it hits 100% I get a micro stutter. As an observation when I pushed the GPU and relied on ASW I was getting regular micro stutters now with current settings so far I haven't had one in Caucusas and NTTR I do get them occasionally in Normandy with current settings.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I don't know why you bring up OH. I already said I don't run it unless I want to run something from it. It's a storefront is all. just like Steam isn't Steam VR. Speaking of Steam VR which runs OpenVR and which Oculus also supports-when you run an OpenVR title in the Rift you can toggle ASW. This is because it's part of Oculus's software. ASW is always on by default unless you tell it otherwise.

I haven't read anything suggesting DCS has a specific implementation of ASW and would certainly be interested in any link you could offer regarding that. It certainly isn't necessary for them to do so, but if true, I see no advantage in it, as DCS artifacts as badly as anything I have seem when it's running.

I don't have "sources" to prove my assumption that DCS code affects ASW within DCS. My assumption is based on how engine code typically works. I could be wrong. ED may be using defaults, or Oculus may not provide switches.

I avoid discussions on the boards these days because intelligent discourse often devolves into argument. I will say that my intent with this thread was simply to provide a full analysis of my findings rather than keeping it to myself. It wasn't to prove anyone wrong or to engage in debate. I have conclusively found that on my system (with settings in OP) I see artifacts with ASW off. I outlined precisely how to reproduce what I'm seeing with a practical test (see post with Stevie Wonder gif). I also found that with ASW on (with settings in OP) DCS looks and performs great with no artifacts using that same test. The only thing to dispute, I guess, is whether I'm being honest about what I'm seeing. You could try the settings and the test and see if you get similar results. If you post your analysis and tests in another thread, link it here. I'll be happy to try it out to see if I get better results. Taking the time to share your findings is a good way to contribute to a (potentially) great DCS community.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I don't have "sources" to prove my assumption that DCS code affects ASW within DCS. My assumption is based on how engine code typically works. I could be wrong. ED may be using defaults, or Oculus may not provide switches.

I avoid discussions on the boards these days because intelligent discourse often devolves into argument. I will say that my intent with this thread was simply to provide a full analysis of my findings rather than keeping it to myself. It wasn't to prove anyone wrong or to engage in debate. I have conclusively found that on my system (with settings in OP) I see artifacts with ASW off. I outlined precisely how to reproduce what I'm seeing with a practical test (see post with Stevie Wonder gif). I also found that with ASW on (with settings in OP) DCS looks and performs great with no artifacts using that same test. The only thing to dispute, I guess, is whether I'm being honest about what I'm seeing. You could try the settings and the test and see if you get similar results. If you post your analysis and tests in another thread, link it here. I'll be happy to try it out to see if I get better results. Taking the time to share your findings is a good way to contribute to a (potentially) great DCS community.

I for one appreciate your efforts.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

QUOTE]

To be fair you made the statement "DCS has a hook for ASW and a specific implementation of it" That sounded like statement of fact rather than an assumption. There are plenty of facts on the Oculus site on how ASW works. If you want to make assumptions and avoid disagreement, you might at least put it out that way. No animosity intended. Just sayin. Peace.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I tried it again last night, cycling through the different settings:

CTRL+NumPad 1 - ASW off

CTRL+NumPad 2 - Force 45 fps, ASW off

CTRL+NumPad 3 - Force 45 fps, ASW on

CTRL+NumPad 4 - ASW auto

I can confirm I get artifacting as described by others with any ASW on setting. ASW off will give me motion blur if I'm below 90 fps (which is most of the time).

Neither setting is ideal, so I turn ASW on/off as needed or depending on which aircraft I'm flying.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Sounds like a good compromise. Under what circumstances do you typically turn ASW off?

CTRL+NumPad 1 - ASW off

CTRL+NumPad 4 - ASW auto

I can confirm I get artifacting as described by others with any ASW on setting. ASW off will give me motion blur if I'm below 90 fps (which is most of the time).

Neither setting is ideal, so I turn ASW on/off as needed or depending on which aircraft I'm flying.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Now I'm trying to remember if I ever tried it with Left CTRL. Hmm, I'm sure i must have. Will try again in a few days.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Are there alternative ways to turn ASW On and Off if we don't have a numpad? (i.e. a tenkeyless keyboard)

Yes, you can use a registry setting. See this reddit link:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yes, you can use a registry setting. See this reddit link:

Thank you! S!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 2 months later...

Added to Science section:

More about Deferred Shading.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on my post above. When I launch F-18C Carrier landing quick mission, using settings from the first post of this thread, I'm at around 32fps. This is with EVGA 1080ti... What kind of frame rates are you guys getting?

Just to follow up on my post above. When I launch F-18C Carrier landing quick mission, using settings from the first post of this thread, I'm at around 32fps. This is with EVGA 1080ti... What kind of frame rates are you guys getting?
According to the wmr dev portal since I'm playing in VR, mostly high settings, pixel density 1.5, shadows low, msa X2 the portal reported frames of 35fps.

System is an i7 8700k, 1080ti and 32gb ram. Although I feel this is incorrect as gameplay, tracking, everything seems smooth so I don't pay much care to the fps numbers.

If you are on a monitor and getting 32fps it should be laggy.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• 9 months later...

CTRL+NumPad 1 - ASW off

CTRL+NumPad 4 - ASW auto

Hi,

you got a hell of a rig and are also fighting with those issues... Well, then I think I could give up.

Have got an very strong rig too, but fighting the exact same issues! :-(

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X@ 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, SSD, Gforce RTX 2080 8GB.