We need the D Variant

Dannyvandelft

Meh; there were only like 40 -Ds ever made. I'd rather developers focus on more widely-used aircraft, or DCS will just become Digital Experimental Combat Simulator.

How many sparrow hawks were made? It could be that’s what some of us really want. I get the historic perspective and understand the appreciation some have for the A/B. The current HUD is very limited and it seems like a real step back after flying the Hornet. I still enjoy it, the module is just an bit more analog than I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In what way does the Sparrowhawk surpass the AN/AVG-12?

MTBMA and MTBMF were much improved. How else the later Sparrowhawk might otherwise be better operationally than the earlier Kaiser HUD is a better question for the guys who spent their careers looking through it.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

We hear you guys and appreciate the interest but as has been said there's just a lot that's still classified about the -D Tomcat. We're missing a lot of info on the mfd menus and more critically lack most info on the upgraded AN/APG-71 radar making an accurate simulation of the -D very difficult.

The same applies for the upgraded P-TID -B as we miss critical data on the P-TID functionality.

We hear you guys and appreciate the interest but as has been said there's just a lot that's still classified about the -D Tomcat. We're missing a lot of info on the mfd menus and more critically lack most info on the upgraded AN/APG-71 radar making an accurate simulation of the -D very difficult.

The same applies for the upgraded P-TID -B as we miss critical data on the P-TID functionality.

How about a 2004 F-15C from Langley?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Someone mentioned in a different thread Heatblur's not doing an F-14D due to a lack of data. The A-6 is also off the table as a flyable aircraft; it'll be available in AI only.

Since when did anyone say the A-6 was off the table. Heatblur said ai for sure and flyable if they can sign some deals. It was left unclear if those deals were with ED or the IP holder.

Since when did anyone say the A-6 was off the table. Heatblur said ai for sure and flyable if they can sign some deals. It was left unclear if those deals were with ED or the IP holder.

The OP may have been referring to my post in another thread, which indicated that thus far HB has only definitely committed to an AI A-6. Flyable A-6 is subject to very many conditionals of uncertain timelines and probabilities of fruition, including securing licensing. If you have been around DCS for long, you probably are bit a too wise to reduce that to the "WE ARE GETTING AN A-6!" end of the spectrum, even if the "A-6 is off the table" end of the reduction spectrum is not really accurate either. Though, again if you have been around DCS for long, you might actually find yourself looking there. IMHO, until HB declares development, it's just hypeware. YMMV. Now, I am going to slip into my promised AH-64 and see what things look like from there ...

How many sparrow hawks were made? It could be that’s what some of us really want. I get the historic perspective and understand the appreciation some have for the A/B. The current HUD is very limited and it seems like a real step back after flying the Hornet. I still enjoy it, the module is just an bit more analog than I like.

Some points:

The HUD in the F-14B isn't "current", it is what that particular model used at its time.

How is it a step back, if it is a completely different aircraft, from a different time ?

The F-4 Phantom II only had a moving gunsight reticle at the HUD when first appeared, does that makes its HUD a step back ?

No it's only specific characteristics, for that aircraft at that time.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hopefully Iran scuttle their F-14's soon, then said things might be declassified.

That said I don't quite understand what they would get out of the information considering they're operating much older models. So why the F-14D's systems are still classified are beyond me.

For myself, the bits I like about the Tomcat are the archaic bits. The fairly naff hud, the wonderful steam gauges, the radar display that looks like a late 1970's arcade machine. The handling that seems more like a WW2 fighter than something from the early 70's. It makes it what it is. If people want it to look and fly more like a Hornet, the cynic in me says, well why not fly a Hornet? I bought it, gave it a handful of flights, then hung it up. For whatever reason, it does nothing for me. And thats despite loving the thought of zapping a harpoon into some poor warship.

Of course, that doesnt mean people shouldnt get what they want. Im just wondering how the economics of this could possibly add up. it would take X amount of time to develop a sparrowhawk Hud, it would take y amount of income, if its not free, to buy. And its going to appeal to a z amount of the population. Same with the D. Is there really going to be THAT amount of people wanting it to pay what would I would guess be near full price for an air-frame that doesnt really do an awful lot more than what the B model does? I dont know. I personally wouldn't bother, but then I have the B model already.

Im left with the feeling if Heatblur ever build a D, it would just be competing with itself for sales for the A and B model (a similar problem I guess Razbam faces if it ever does a Harrier B+).

Of course, if it was free, Id probably fly it. And then go right back to the A or B, because its not like a Hornet. That in the end is why I fly a Tomcat, that and to annoy Dick Cheney. :)

Thats before we even poke the classified bits with a stick, which I gather are not easily surmountable. Im not disrespecting all these threads about 'We want a D'. I want a Hawker Hunter, but you just have to be realistic about these things.

*laughs in Su-25T as well* icon_redface.gif

I'd take the D, but I'd prefer the B with Sparrowhawk over it actually. However before that, let's get the regular A & B finished and the Tornado IDS into early access at least luna-trcv.png

Is the Torando confirmed? I remeber reading about the development of the Tornado like 2 years ago and then never heard anything from it.

How about a 2004 F-15C from Langley?

F-15C started to receive AESA radars APG 63(V2) in year 2000 so simulating this would be different.

But non-AESA F-15C shares lot of commonalities with Hornet, both were designed by McDonnell and Hornet's radar is a smaller version of Eagle's APG63. Coding non-AESA F-15C after the Hornet will be rather easy for ED.

We need the D Variant

For myself, the bits I like about the Tomcat are the archaic bits. The fairly naff hud, the wonderful steam gauges, the radar display that looks like a late 1970's arcade machine. The handling that seems more like a WW2 fighter than something from the early 70's. It makes it what it is. If people want it to look and fly more like a Hornet, the cynic in me says, well why not fly a Hornet? I bought it, gave it a handful of flights, then hung it up. For whatever reason, it does nothing for me. And thats despite loving the thought of zapping a harpoon into some poor warship.

Of course, that doesnt mean people shouldnt get what they want. Im just wondering how the economics of this could possibly add up. it would take X amount of time to develop a sparrowhawk Hud, it would take y amount of income, if its not free, to buy. And its going to appeal to a z amount of the population. Same with the D. Is there really going to be THAT amount of people wanting it to pay what would I would guess be near full price for an air-frame that doesnt really do an awful lot more than what the B model does? I dont know. I personally wouldn't bother, but then I have the B model already.

Im left with the feeling if Heatblur ever build a D, it would just be competing with itself for sales for the A and B model (a similar problem I guess Razbam faces if it ever does a Harrier B+).

Of course, if it was free, Id probably fly it. And then go right back to the A or B, because its not like a Hornet. That in the end is why I fly a Tomcat, that and to annoy Dick Cheney. :)

Thats before we even poke the classified bits with a stick, which I gather are not easily surmountable. Im not disrespecting all these threads about 'We want a D'. I want a Hawker Hunter, but you just have to be realistic about these things.

Para A response:

I do fly the Hornet, then I fly in a Tomcat that is handicapped by a HUD that could be more capable and stay within the range of a B variant in the time frame DCS extends to. Lots of folks want an F-4 Phantom (me too) but what does it do that other models don’t. Do you want the most capable F-4 or the least capable variant. I vote for the most capable variant within the timeframe of DCS world.

I would love to have the F-14 A/B, B+ and D to learn in-depth the history of the aircraft more fully.

Para B response:

Yep, it has a different role than the Hornet, still want the most capable variant possible since they are flying in the same airspace.

Para C response:

There are items that are still classified in the Hornet that have been omitted and it is still a viable module for the environment.

Edited by Fusedspine33

F-15C started to receive AESA radars APG 63(V2) in year 2000 so simulating this would be different.

But non-AESA F-15C shares lot of commonalities with Hornet, both were designed by McDonnell and Hornet's radar is a smaller version of Eagle's APG63. Coding non-AESA F-15C after the Hornet will be rather easy for ED.

RAZBAM already announced they are doing an F-15E

A 2004 F-15C from Langely had Link-16, JHMCS, AIM-9X and the AN/APG-63 (V)1 which isn't AESA. Its the perfect F-15 replacement in DCS

Edited by Xenovia

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]