Restarting the Yak.

Ron Attwood
Go to solution Solved by MisterMac,

If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing. "Chuck Yeager"

Didnt you managed a Good landing ? :-D

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

I obviously haven't explained it very well. I'll try again. I have landed, very nicely. Taxied to the ramp and turned off my engine whilst I waited for a friend to join the server. Friend arrives and I attempt to restart the engine. Which it will not do!

How's that?

EDIT: No fool like an old fool. First ensure that the pneumatic system knob is rotated fully aft.

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 1

It was a joke, cant help you man. Mostly when this happens to me, i try to start from Ground power, then repair.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Oh, I probably got it now :-) Try the ground power. Maybe weak battery (Accumulator)

would it turn over? maybe air supply was depleted. flaps and gear need to be in neutral position, they leak air, I'm pretty sure I have restarted before, I will check when I get home.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The engine starter is pneumatic, which means it requires air pressure. Air pressure in the canister is expended by doing multiple engine starts and operating the flaps and landing gear. When you can't restart the aircraft, what's the air pressure indication you have?

No shortage of dead-horse floggers here :) , but it's good to see everyone trying to be so helpful . Note post #3 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The engine starter is pneumatic, which means it requires air pressure. Air pressure in the canister is expended by doing multiple engine starts and operating the flaps and landing gear. When you can't restart the aircraft, what's the air pressure indication you have?

It was my understanding that the air pressure wasn't effective right now (the air never goes down).

Or is it working ?

It was my understanding that the air pressure wasn't effective right now (the air never goes down).

Or is it working ?

If it wasn't working, the valve would have no effect. As it definitely determines whether or not the engine will start, the air system by definition is working.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If it wasn't working, the valve would have no effect. As it definitely determines whether or not the engine will start, the air system by definition is working.

Yes, sorry, I was refering the pneumatic system.

I meant that at the moment the air pressure related to the pneumatic systems never goes down as they should (if I understood the system correctly).

For example, in the Mig-21, if you don't get your gear lever to neutral, you will soon be out of air and not able to brake after landing.

Shouldn't it be the same in the Yak ?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro this. But I recently got the yak and have run into this same issue i think. I take off, and land at a different airport, taxi and park, and then shut down for refuelling and repairs (if needed, which is usual so far). once I am refuelled and all that I go through start up and the engine wont start, it will not turn over. I am not sure if I have missed a step or what but I have been really scratching my head over it. every time I try to restart the engine I run into this issue. I am hoping that somebody here can help me out with a solution.

To turn over the engine you need air pressure in the main air system (left needle on the gauge). When you switch off the engine, close the air valve on your left/behind to save your compressed air in the main air balloon.

Edited by Toriy

• Solution

Hey Toriy, thank you for the advice. I checked the air gauge and it was good, and i fiddled with the air valve. no luck.

However, I believe I found the solution. Prior to my testing and trying to resolve this, whenever I would restart the engine I would prime the cylinders several times and could never get the engine to start. I think I was flooding the engine or inducing hydro shock. I tried restarting twice today WITHOUT priming the cylinders, and the yak started both times without problems.

It should be noted that I did prime the main line to get the fuel pressure where it needed to be, but again, I did not prime the cylinders.

I am not sure if this will help anybody else, but I am happy that I have learned this, it was such a simple solution that had me stumped for days.

• Like 1