How do I slew the Walleye?

Cintra

Hi all.

So I cannot get my walleye to slew around so I can select a target. The process I follow is as follows:

A/G Master Mode -> Select Walleye from left MFD twice until the video input comes up -> Select left MFD with the sensor select switch -> Uncage.

After this I attempt to use my Target Designator Switch that I use for controlling my RADAR to slew the bomb view, is this incorrect?

I have managed to make it work when the bomb was released but now it seems I'm unable to get passed this point.

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

Talk about the walleye, been using it lately. If you use it with datalink, it's fine if you redirect the bomb to lock another target early and let it stay locked. But trying to fly the bomb to the target is another thing altogether because I think the camera is always looking forward-down. So it never really flies to where the camera is looking unless you constantly adjust its flight right up until impact.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Talk about the walleye, been using it lately. If you use it with datalink, it's fine if you redirect the bomb to lock another target early and let it stay locked. But trying to fly the bomb to the target is another thing altogether because I think the camera is always looking forward-down. So it never really flies to where the camera is looking unless you constantly adjust its flight right up until impact.

Assume that's right. Without a locked target the trajectory of the Walleye is not stable straight. Maybe It's because it still is a bomb not a missile? A bomb falls following a parabola. If there is no lock you also have to trade some energy and keep steering to keep it on a straight line to the target. The JSOW has real wings and does a better job. The Walleye is a different thing with less lift.

EDIT: you said you have to steer it till impact. So you do not get a lock before? I also steer a lot till the TV picture shows a nice shape and locks.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

You have to consider it is still a gliding bomb. I've hit targets 20 NM away from the launch point no problem, but you need to start with a lot of speed and altitude to do so.

350 knots at 35k for my little experiment.

I usually lock the TV on the target with the TGP help and then when it is on flight I move the camera up so the bomb keep flying as straight as possible. Watch out not to pitch the bomb up or down too much.

You can move the camera freely to search for the target and when you think you are close enough then lock on it and the bomb will slowly pitch down to hit the target from above.

It is quite good against ships.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I watched RedKite's tutorial. If the white box (camera angle) is in the double line cross hair (bomb axis) while steering the bomb (datalink), then the bomb is flying nicely to the target. If the box is below (bomb is fast), then it is in overshoot tendency because what you see in the cross hair is with a camera angled down position, and vice versa. It's better to lock onto the target when you can.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

I watched RedKite's tutorial. If the white box (camera angle) is in the double line cross hair (bomb axis) while steering the bomb (datalink), then the bomb is flying nicely to the target. If the box is below (bomb is fast), then it is in overshoot tendency because what you see in the cross hair is with a camera angled down position, and vice versa. It's better to lock onto the target when you can.

I think, the WE only actively steers if it has a lock. Otherwise it is either just going balistic or it is still trying to steer to the last locked target ... I'm not yet sure of which variant is actually true, though.

You have to consider it is still a gliding bomb. I've hit targets 20 NM away from the launch point no problem, but you need to start with a lot of speed and altitude to do so.

350 knots at 35k for my little experiment.

I usually lock the TV on the target with the TGP help and then when it is on flight I move the camera up so the bomb keep flying as straight as possible. Watch out not to pitch the bomb up or down too much.

You can move the camera freely to search for the target and when you think you are close enough then lock on it and the bomb will slowly pitch down to hit the target from above.

It is quite good against ships.

With the Walleye, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but never managed to get a lock at a very big target (Cargo ship), until at 6 or 7 miles near, and 6000 to 7000 feet altitude...

Either with Datalink or TGP... so I must be doing something very wrong.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

With the Walleye, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but never managed to get a lock at a very big target (Cargo ship), until at 6 or 7 miles near, and 6000 to 7000 feet altitude...

Either with Datalink or TGP... so I must be doing something very wrong.

Sounds ok for me. The Walleye doesn't lock at larger ranges than you mentioned. TGP helps to get the initial direction where you should launch the Walleye at. But you have to steer it towards the target till it is close enough to recognise a distinct shape to get a lock.

Sounds ok for me. The Walleye doesn't lock at larger ranges than you mentioned. TGP helps to get the initial direction where you should launch the Walleye at. But you have to steer it towards the target till it is close enough to recognise a distinct shape to get a lock.

Hello,

Yeah that aspect of keep sleewing the Wallleye after release I was forgetting - I've to spend more training with it.

But @Eviscerador mentions 35.000 feet in his post... does he mean release altitude, instead of lock altitude ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Walleye not slewing

I don't think it can lock what you can't see in the walleye video. It needs a good contrast. Also, slewing the walleye (with datalink) all the way to impact isn't the best way to use it the walleye. I find slewing it to lock up a target ASAP (while in flight) then letting it guide itself to impact is better.

I usually use waypoint designate, then uncage the walleye and it will slew to the waypoint and lock a target if it is able to. Then upon release of the walleye, it will fly to the target it has locked up. But if no target was locked up, it will fly 'aimlessly' but in the direction of the waypoint and you will have to steer it to lock up the intended target at the waypoint.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN