VR IMPROVEMENTS

javipamp

Really don't understand this thread. I have seen significant improvements since the last update to the point where I am running a solid 45fps with MSAA x4, SSAA x1.5, Anis 8x and PD 1.0 with high textures and reduced shadows. If there are more improvements to come this will be even more amazing. Thanks ED for the ongoing development!

I haven't seen any gains in performance at all. In fact today was the first day I logged in to play and my FPS was so bad that it was unplayable. Not sure what is going on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen any gains in performance at all. In fact today was the first day I logged in to play and my FPS was so bad that it was unplayable. Not sure what is going on.

Have you tried to lower your OC on the CPU. When I go at or above 5Ghz everything except DCS runs great. Lowering it to 4,8 Ghz actually increased my performance by a fair margin. DCS is really picky about overclocks.

For reference, I run at pixel density 1.8 and msaa 2x (shadows flat, vis range medium and the VR mod) at a locked 45 fps in the hornet (GPU usage about 90%). Motion smoothing in steamVR disabled, otherwise the fps would drop to the mid 30's now and then.

Every bit of text is fairly good readable (with some effort here and there, leaning a bit in). The immersion when landing on the carrier is incredible, so easy to find the landing spot in VR with the ability to see depth and getting a feeling for the height. Never ever I'm going back to 2D.

Edit: I have the VIVE lens mod installed. This has made a HUGE difference in clarity. Bigger than any software setting I can think of.

Edited by MainSail

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

I also think the type of flying you are doing matters a lot.

Flying CAP in a Hornet at 26,000ft is a lot easier to get good looking 45fps than it is with an Mi-8 at rooftop level flying through a densely populated Iranian city.

Another setting change that might help people on PG - You can set the terrain texture to low and lose very little if anything at all visually. It's indistinguishable from high for me.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

And I'm really hoping the work that ED is doing to optimize DCS (proven doable by Kegetys mods) and Vulkan will go long way. That and Pimax+ like improvements.

oh, what mods are these and what do they do?

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Infact I was very surprised that DCS adopted VR so early in the first place and with much more attention, I never expected it, so you guys should be actually happy it's even doable, it is the bleeding edge already, but you don't want to bleed out, right.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The VR improvements are in work. Once we believe they are close to release, we will make an announcement. Based on history, we now avoid any time estimates until we are very certain.

Thanks!

WoW thanks Matt. Looking forward :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Infact I was very surprised that DCS adopted VR so early in the first place and with much more attention, I never expected it, so you guys should be actually happy it's even doable, it is the bleeding edge already, but you don't want to bleed out, right.

Hence why I have all the DCS modules and likewise IL2. The only way we are going to experience such VR experiences is by supporting the devs in their efforts. It`s already an amazing experience and worth the price, but it has even more great potential with continued development.

Hence why I have all the DCS modules and likewise IL2. The only way we are going to experience such VR experiences is by supporting the devs in their efforts. It`s already an amazing experience and worth the price, but it has even more great potential with continued development.

Well as for continued development, I'm sure the 3 modules I got a few days ago are going to come handy, so I already sweeped my front porch too if anyone's asking, I admit I wouldn't be as loud right now if I wouldn't own any modules.

But the VR Improvements just have to "come" with proper context, with the proper community understanding.

I'm not saying necessairly that ED would need to do some kind of official disclaimer, but they have freedom to do so or not.

I would rather point my argument more to the community around here, to keep the excitement realistic, so that these VR improvements don't sound exaggerated as if you're going to fly out of the room all of a sudden if you just download this 35.6 Megabyte update, and then everyone's going to pile up hours before the update and strain the servers (well okay that's what p2p is for). And even more importantly, that it doesn't sound as if it's all about ED and their work and as if everything depends on them, the perceptions have to be grounded with technicalities of VR.

I'm asking for this community to also strive for what the product is striving for, distinguished from the standard western mainstream gaming, where random comments fly around, attention span at it's lowest, to be careful and to be specific with the customer criticism and hold to higher standards so that there is no falsely attributed blame, as that may discredit the rest of the valid stuff.

And you can only fit so many presents under one Xmas tree, some things just have to stay in Santa's attic for next time. (basement is sometimes compared to hell, so not that haha)

I mean I don't want to hold back excitement where it's appropriate, this is some kind of upkeep system, being realistic and more conserving more than half the time, so you have the excitement and hype for the times when it's really warranted.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

1). You feel like you are in the world/cockpit. It truly is incredible.

2) Depends on the headset. The rift/Vive need external sensors that typically come with the headset.

3). I would probably wait until rift 1.5 or valves reportedly new headset comes out next year. These should give a big jump in tech over current gen headsets.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't count on anything drastically changing the VR scene, and don't count on waiting for a future dream to pay off any time soon. Do a search on "VR sales", there's nothing positive being reported, quite the opposite. Going the same direction as our controllers, a few good small producers left standing at great expense and greater wait.

The stuff out there is pretty damn descent for what we're doing, some who remember the old full motion mil sims, cost millions, big as a building with the awful graphics, in their day top of the line, they're junk compared with what we get to play with.

I'd like to see more scaling sliders for more settings to tweak the game much finer.

The next generation or update might be just around the corner, I'd wait, Oculus Rift level specs are still same for many years now.

Edited by Worrazen

The next generation or update might be just around the corner, I'd wait, Oculus Rift level specs are still same for many years now.

Why wait? You never know when/if updates are going to happen. I had a Rift and loved it, and then I bought a Vive Pro, and I love that even more!

Sure, something else will come along at some point in the future, but enjoy VR now on DCS. After all, if you buy something like the Rift, you're only going to lose £100 or so when you sell it. Small price to pay!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Why wait? You never know when/if updates are going to happen. I had a Rift and loved it, and then I bought a Vive Pro, and I love that even more!

Sure, something else will come along at some point in the future, but enjoy VR now on DCS. After all, if you buy something like the Rift, you're only going to lose £100 or so when you sell it. Small price to pay!

Indeed... if we all waited for "Tech", we'd be waiting for the wheel... Live in the now, Enjoy!!! ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I am considering buying a Oculus VR headset especially for DCS World. I just had a few questions. First, is the VR images presented in 3d? Second, can the headset be used without remote tracker? And lastly, should I wait until next year for next generation VR Headsets?

Have you considered your hardware always good to make sure it's going to work okay.

Rift is likely best value for money with the least demand on hardware, highr res is always better but that comes at the expense of requiring higher end hardware.

One sensor works fine for DCS assuming a sitting position mine sits on top of my PC speaker works a treat so you don't have to set up a room scale situation unless your going to slay dragons between using DCS. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I really hope they fix this 1.6 max PD thing soon. Its a killer.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

As limited as the current tech is, if you can afford the gpu needed to run it correctly, then you can afford Oculus... go for it.

If you have financial concerns, stick with conventional tech.

VR isn't cheap, but it isn't excessively priced either considering the cost of all the other hardware you need to fully enjoy a sim like DCS World: decent PC with plenty of RAM and a strong gpu also with plenty of RAM, throw in a HOTAS, rudder pedals, and a TrackIR. If you can afford all that, $300-$600 for some sort of Oculus/Vive package isn't a big stretch and will repay itself with an amazing experience.

But if the thought of buying a $500+ gpu scares you, spending another $400+ on a VR headset is probably an unnecessary expense. I fly VR roughly 50% of the time for immersion, but still switch back to conventional tech for the sake of much better graphics quality and resolution, often critical to flying complex/dangerous missions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I fly VR roughly 50% of the time for immersion, but still switch back to conventional tech for the sake of much better graphics quality and resolution, often critical to flying complex/dangerous missions.

Can you give us an example of this type of mission, and what it is you can’t do in VR?

Personally speaking, the only time I use 2D is when I’m learning a module and need to refer to documentation.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Can you give us an example of this type of mission, and what it is you can’t do in VR?

Personally speaking, the only time I use 2D is when I’m learning a module and need to refer to documentation.

The key words are "personally speaking". There are countless posts on these very forums about what graphics settings to use to keep the frame rates up to at least 45 because achieving the ideal 90 fps at a steady rate is simply impossible. People sacrifice everything from shadows to pixel shader quality trying to get smooth fps AND decent anti-aliasing without shimmering terrain.

When I play in 2D, I don't have to sacrifice anything. Graphics settings are maxed to enjoy all the new tech brought by 2.5x and the new terrain. One setting I refuse to use in all of my flight sims is icons. They absolutely kill immersion for me. DCS World notoriously has visibility issues whether it is with a distant aircraft that might easily be spotted in real life even if only as a small speck but blends into the sky or doesn't even register as a single pixel in the DCS graphics engine. The contrast between an aircraft flying over terrain is horrible, even when the aircraft's colors clash with the terrain. Never mind trying to spot ground targets. Now take that problem and throw it into a VR headset that cuts the pixels per degree of view in half or smaller than what a 1080p monitor provides.

Yes, I can fly any mission in VR, but they are no fun if the fps is low or unsteady and I can't see the enemy or distinguish them from my friends. If I turn on icons, I kill the very immersion that VR is suppose to give me in exchange for crappy graphics. Some missions/aircraft modules work fantastic in VR, others do not. It is your choice to fly most of them in VR, it is my choice to fly about 50% of them in VR. I am sure there are others who use VR less than me if at all despite having tried it. It is a personal preference.

To really make me happy, VR would have to simultaneously expand the field of view, double the pixels per degree of view, and run the graphics at full quality at a steady fps, preferably 90+. Hardware limitations alone guarantee that's not happening anytime soon even if the market support was good enough to justify developing next gen PC hardware. But market support has been lackluster. VR for PCs seems to be going the way of 3d LED TVs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you give us an example of this type of mission, and what it is you can’t do in VR? ... .

Anytime I need to input coords given by radio. The Enemy Within campaign is a good example: in one mission you get 3 target locations in a single radio call.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

The key words are "personally speaking". There are countless posts on these very forums about what graphics settings to use to keep the frame rates up to at least 45 because achieving the ideal 90 fps at a steady rate is simply impossible. People sacrifice everything from shadows to pixel shader quality trying to get smooth fps AND decent anti-aliasing without shimmering terrain.

When I play in 2D, I don't have to sacrifice anything. Graphics settings are maxed to enjoy all the new tech brought by 2.5x and the new terrain. One setting I refuse to use in all of my flight sims is icons. They absolutely kill immersion for me. DCS World notoriously has visibility issues whether it is with a distant aircraft that might easily be spotted in real life even if only as a small speck but blends into the sky or doesn't even register as a single pixel in the DCS graphics engine. The contrast between an aircraft flying over terrain is horrible, even when the aircraft's colors clash with the terrain. Never mind trying to spot ground targets. Now take that problem and throw it into a VR headset that cuts the pixels per degree of view in half or smaller than what a 1080p monitor provides.

Yes, I can fly any mission in VR, but they are no fun if the fps is low or unsteady and I can't see the enemy or distinguish them from my friends. If I turn on icons, I kill the very immersion that VR is suppose to give me in exchange for crappy graphics. Some missions/aircraft modules work fantastic in VR, others do not. It is your choice to fly most of them in VR, it is my choice to fly about 50% of them in VR. I am sure there are others who use VR less than me if at all despite having tried it. It is a personal preference.

To really make me happy, VR would have to simultaneously expand the field of view, double the pixels per degree of view, and run the graphics at full quality at a steady fps, preferably 90+. Hardware limitations alone guarantee that's not happening anytime soon even if the market support was good enough to justify developing next gen PC hardware. But market support has been lackluster. VR for PCs seems to be going the way of 3d LED TVs.

Of course it’s all a personal preference. I was simply asking what you couldn’t do in VR, that’s all! Personally, I have no issue with a solid 45 fps in VR, nor the resolution that high PD gives me on my Vive Pro, but, each to his own.

Anytime I need to input coords given by radio. The Enemy Within campaign is a good example: in one mission you get 3 target locations in a single radio call.

Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t you input coords in VR?

I think he wants to write down the coords on a sheet of paper before he enters them in his nav-system.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S