Wheel Brakes

Dino Might

Without pedals there's simply no way to 'configure it properly'!

I put the brakes on a rotary and only use 1/3. Combined with the chute the F-5 is easy to land

Reducing the braking capability to 1/3 has the same effect ;) And with the new (low) thrust model I don't even need the chute :)

Even with toe brakes I rarely push more than 50-60% and then only gradually. I don't like the smell of burning rubber! :)

With a key/button all you can do is tap tap tap....

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing back this thread from the dead. But I’m not sure if the wheel brakes are considered “fixed”. I bought the F5 a couple of weeks back and have noticed the ice rink behavior of the tires/brakes. Even when loaded up with stores, the tires dont grip enough to resist skidding when using the W key at taxi speeds. When going faster, the plane can be sliding sideways at speed without taking damage. IRL i would expect blown tires, collapsed gear etc, if you’re sliding sideways for 10s of meters with full stores.

I realize that the real plane may not have the best braking capacity, but I doubt an engineer would design a brake system that would so completely overwhelm the tires capacity to grip in perfect conditions. I dont think the problem is the lack of anti skid, as most planes are capable of braking firmly (once weight settles) without the activation of anti skid. In the case of this F5, the tires never seem to bite to any usable degree.

From a gameplay perspective, the W key is still not very usable, and I dont have an axis option. I realize it’s been 3 years since the last post, but hopefully brakes/tires will be looked at in the next update.

I bought the F5 a couple of weeks back and have noticed the ice rink behavior of the tires/brakes. Even when loaded up with stores, the tires dont grip enough to resist skidding when using the W key at taxi speeds. When going faster, the plane can be sliding sideways at speed without taking damage. IRL i would expect blown tires, collapsed gear etc, if you’re sliding sideways for 10s of meters with full stores.

I believe that you are having wrong expections about blown tires and collapsing landing gear.

That said, if you have only on/off brakes (like I do), slowing down the F-5 without drag chute isn't a nice experience.

edit: just tested and (at least) with the latest beta directional control with full braking has become noticeable better! :)

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070