HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Performance is very good. As good as my Lenovo because just as many pixels were being rendered in the Lenovo with SS. Motion re-projection definitely smooths things out right next to the ground when looking out the side of the canopy. I have run it both on and off.

Wow, that’s crazy clear. How’s the performance, I take it motion reprojection is being used?

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Guys, I said all along that the 2 big plus points of the Reverb over the VP were resolution and (almost) total removal of SDE. The sharpness in terms of detail is excellent. But, there were quite a few other issues than I just couldn’t live with.

There was no blurriness on the Reverb in 1903 for me - but let’s not go down that road again!

Ah, gotcha. I thought you had said there was not that much difference in clarity.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I was trying to record a few seconds through the Reverb lens with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone a few minutes ago to give folks on my squadron an idea of what I am seeing. It turns out (without it mounted) to be very difficult to hold the headset and phone by hand and get a picture in focus. :cry: It gives one an idea at least. One lens doesn't give much of a sweet spot. My Lenovo Explorer is so fuzzy by comparison. Colors looks fine.

Better in Full Screen

that's a great through the lens shot. But one advice, try not to get so close to what you're filming. Try your best to do it from the seated position so everyone can get a feel for what it looks like from a seated-in-the-cockpit view.

But it is crazy clear. LOL

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yeah I've got steamvr, but not wmr for steamvr, just the version that comes with Windows. Seems to run OK.

Interesting. When I did what you did, DCS came up as a 2D app inside the WMR portal. I wonder if you got the WMR in Steam already installed?

Do a search in Steam store and see if it says "install" or "use"

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Pretty sure it's a USB power issue - try plugging a powered USB 3.0 hub between the headset and the PC.

Self-powered hubs aren't always enough to run a VR headset, depending on all the other stuff you're running with a USB connection. I was having all kinds of intermittent issues with my CV1 on a self-powered hub, so I tried installing an Inateck PCIe USB card with a direct connection to my rig's power supply and it solved all of my issues with USB power. Not a hiccup since then. Found the suggestion in the Oculus forums.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The interesting thing about your S9+ attempt there Secoda, is that it is demonstrating very well what I believe people refer to as the blurriness if the IPD is incorrectly adjusted? WOuld you say that's correct, Hansangb? Cause the center field is very sharp, but the edges are very much blurry. Or is it due to something else?

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

I was trying to record a few seconds through the Reverb lens with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone a few minutes ago to give folks on my squadron an idea of what I am seeing. It turns out (without it mounted) to be very difficult to hold the headset and phone by hand and get a picture in focus. :cry: It gives one an idea at least. One lens doesn't give much of a sweet spot. My Lenovo Explorer is so fuzzy by comparison. Colors looks fine.

I wonder if one of those cheap little USB endoscopes you can buy on Amazon would work well for that. I have a couple of them I use at work for getting part numbers and serial numbers off of things in aircraft that I would normally have to remove from the panel to read the data plates. Those endoscopes get right into the small spaces and focus really well on things that are really close.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The interesting thing about your S9+ attempt there Secoda, is that it is demonstrating very well what I believe people refer to as the blurriness if the IPD is incorrectly adjusted? WOuld you say that's correct, Hansangb? Cause the center field is very sharp, but the edges are very much blurry. Or is it due to something else?

My initial thought was that it had a decent sweet spot. And it's software only adjustment so you can't really change the physical focal point anyway.

My IPD is 65 which is pretty much in the middle of the road, I believe. I'll make a point of looking a little off center and report back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Ah, gotcha. I thought you had said there was not that much difference in clarity.

I felt that the LCD panels of the Reverb lacked ‘pop’, dynamic range and colour contrast compared to the OLEDs of the VP. I also felt there was a king of soft haze over some terrain, but in terms of pure res and SDE, the Reverb was a clear winner!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

My initial thought was that it had a decent sweet spot. And it's software only adjustment so you can't really change the physical focal point anyway.

My IPD is 65 which is pretty much in the middle of the road, I believe. I'll make a point of looking a little off center and report back.

So How is the spotting aspect for you ? Much improved? Like distance wise ....

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Yes, it improved. My test mission file with carrier, and planes 5 & 10 miles out are easier to spot. But I'll do an exhaustive review after I get done tweaking my settings. This was basically, plug it in and go slack-jawed with clarity. :D

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yes, it improved. My test mission file with carrier, and planes 5 & 10 miles out are easier to spot. But I'll do an exhaustive review after I get done tweaking my settings. This was basically, plug it in and go slack-jacked with clarity. :D

Rgr that! Thanks

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Where the heck are you guys getting the Reverb? I haven't seen it available anywhere.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Interesting. When I did what you did, DCS came up as a 2D app inside the WMR portal. I wonder if you got the WMR in Steam already installed?

Do a search in Steam store and see if it says "install" or "use"

It's already in my library so it must have been a black ops install when I installed steamVR.

A small pie is soon eaten

I spotted the carrier at 20 miles. Wow that's a big surprise! :D

I am very happy with the new headset!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I spotted the carrier at 20 miles. Wow that's a big surprise! :D

I am very happy with the new headset!

Nice! Mine should be in tomorrow may have to call out sick Thursday :smilewink:

USA....I saw that, but if you do a live update it says coming soon, shipment expected on the 27th

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Pretty sure you can't go wrong with StarTech either. You should be fine. :D

TO ANYONE HAVING RANDOM ISSUES WITH FLICKERING, TRACKING DISCONNECTS, performance issues :

I've just connected the headset to a powered StarTech PCI-E USB 3.1 card and it has made a very significant improvement in terms of stability.

For the first time the headset tracks in every direction smoothly (before it was basically a matter of luck as to whether it would work fully), the disconnects and flickering seem to be totally eliminated based on the last 30 minutes of flying. overall performance is much better now. I can't recommend this addition highly enough. For the sake of another £30 or $30 I think you'll have a MUCH more enjoyable VR experience.

A small pie is soon eaten

I always try to research vendors on the web.

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/NextWarehouse

Based on these ratings, I would carefully consider my options before placing an order.

Shit that's not good

that's a great through the lens shot. But one advice, try not to get so close to what you're filming. Try your best to do it from the seated position so everyone can get a feel for what it looks like from a seated-in-the-cockpit view.

But it is crazy clear. LOL

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vr-news-hp-reverb-second-gen-headsets-are-on-the-way/8165/345

Lots of through-the-lens shots by BeachAV8R, they all look amazing. No doubt the Reverb is the best-in-class right now.

This is the sim bar, by which all future HMDs will be compared.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Will there be any indication from HP or anyone that's selling these units to let people know the cable design has been redone? Last I heard the engineers were making changes to the headset cable and it's connection.

I figure by the time it is available to freely purchase on Amazon in US these maybe the revised units.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz