Locked at 45fps with ASW off

Sandman1330

Im not getting anymore that 45 FPS and can't turn off ASW either. Running RTX 2080 ti too.

Same here. I was able to turn it on/off on my old rig, but oddly not the new one.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I read on another forum that they managed to get it to work by turning off reprojection in steam. Even though steam wasn't even on & DCS was not using steam it was causing it to lock to 45fps.

Only problem is its no longer possible to turn off reprojection in steam.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I read on another forum that they managed to get it to work by turning off reprojection in steam. Even though steam wasn't even on & DCS was not using steam it was causing it to lock to 45fps.

Only problem is its no longer possible to turn off reprojection in steam.

you have to turn it off via an options file, i believe.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

you have to turn it off via an options file, i believe.

OK i will have a look for that.

Performance is really terrible atm & my GPU card is only 50% utilized but struggling to hit 45fps.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

• 2 months later...

Still having issues, except now at 40 vice 45 for a Rift S.

Tried to help out the team by submitting FPS numbers as they requested, but I’m locked solidly at 40fps. OTT and debug tool both confirm ASW is off, and the artefacts are gone.

I read that steamvr needs to have reprojection disabled as well, but it was an older post and that option no longer exists in steamvr.

Anyone crack this nut yet?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings

go into defaultvr.settings open with notepad++and change to this:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "off", 

instead of auto use OFF..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings

go into defaultvr.settings open with notepad++and change to this:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "off", 

instead of auto use OFF..

Thx, unfortunately this isn't it. I'm using Oculus, rather than WMR - I don't even have MixRealityVRDriver installed.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Thx, unfortunately this isn't it. I'm using Oculus, rather than WMR - I don't even have MixRealityVRDriver installed.

Well I thought you said where using SteamVR and needed to turn off MRP??

but this works for WMR and Steam VR..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

It’s ASW I’m trying to turn off (and everything tells me it is off), but something is still locking me to 40fps on Rift S. I had read a reddit post that said it might be steamvr since DCS runs over steamvr.

Well the thing I disabled was from SteamVR. ASW is disabled in the GUI.. anyhow that is how to turn off Motion reprojection.. I guess it is only for WMR headsets then?

It’s ASW I’m trying to turn off (and everything tells me it is off), but something is still locking me to 40fps on Rift S. I had read a reddit post that said it might be steamvr since DCS runs over steamvr.

Why would it lock at 40? Wait, is Rift S an 80MHz panel? I guess it would make sense if that were the case.

But do the keyboard numpad shortcuts now work?

CTRL+Numpad1: Disable ASW, go back to the original ATW mode

CTRL+Numpad2: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW disabled

CTRL+Numpad3: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW enabled

CTRL+Numpad4: Enable auto-ASW (default, use this first)

But the above *may* require a registry setting.

HKLM\Software\Oculus VR, LLC\LibOVR

DWORD AswEnabled key and set it to 1.

If you're not familiar, you can google for it and there are step by step instructions. The above is for Rift, but I have to believe Rift S works the same way. But the registry location might have changed.

And *finally*, The Oculus Tray Tool by ApollyonVR (google for it) should still work with the Rift S. Again, it works with Rift, so I'll go on a limb and say it works with Rift S.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yes the Rift S is 80 Hz.

Yes the same keyboard shortcuts still apply regarding ASW.

Yes the Oculus Tray Tool still works for Rift S (what I am using to turn ASW off).

The last Steam VR update I got last week hurt my VR performance (in another sim that requires it), I switched to Open Composite and got my performance back possibly even little better than originally had before in that sim,

DCS supports my Rift S natively of course so I am not using Steam VR for it as I don't have Steam Version of sim,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

ASW is definitely turned off, I’ve used the keypad, OTT and the debug tool. Further, the telltale squigglies go away.

I’m grasping at straws with the steamvr theory based on a reddit post, but I think it’s a red herring as I also do not use steamvr, it isn’t even running when I play DCS.

Yet, something is locking me to half frame rate (first 45 with CV1, now 40 with S)

I’m stumped! I may put in a ticket with Oculus...

Edited by Sandman1330

ASW is definitely turned off, I’ve used the keypad, OTT and the debug tool. Further, the telltale squigglies go away.

I’m grasping at straws with the steamvr theory based on a reddit post, but I think it’s a red herring as I also do not use steamvr, it isn’t even running when I play DCS.

Yet, something is locking me to half frame rate (first 45 with CV1, now 40 with S)

I’m stumped! I may put in a ticket with Oculus...

Yes i thought this also some time ago & went down the same route of trying to figure out how to switch it off in Steam. Took me a while to figure out if you use Oculus it will not run steams version of ASW its automatically disabled.

This is not just related to Oculus and ASW. I have the same situation with being locked at 45 and 30fps using SteamVR with Motion Smoothing (ASW equivalent) switched off.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Dont know if anyone already gave an answer. Turn off vertical synchronization in DCS and in graphic controllers. should be ok then when u turn off ASW

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Dont know if anyone already gave an answer. Turn off vertical synchronization in DCS and in graphic controllers. should be ok then when u turn off ASW

It’s definitely off in DCS, I need to dig into Nvidia CP and elsewhere to see if it’s being overridden somewhere...

Here, may it help.

On picture: I have it turned on in global settings. Got it disabled for DCS only in specific application settings .

1462290864_Beznzvu.thumb.png.a49ae393a25a204db9c341a677d1e384.png

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Thx Wexler, I just have to find time to try it out!

Maybe is just ATW (Asynchronous TimeWarp) It is like Vsync and cannot be disable.

I thought the same, but after some research it seems ATW works by filling in dropped frames on a frame by frame basis, rather than always replacing every second one like ASW. It doesn’t work by locking the frame rate, so that shouldn’t be it.

I’m thinking vsync, but I also think I’ve already verified it’s off in the past. Hoping to check nvidia CP tonight and see if it’s gone back on or something...

FPS is related to your render time. At 90fps you need to be able to render the image in no more than 1/90 of a second, or in other words 11ms. Pull up the Application Render Time HUD. I think you'll find that your GPU render time is pegged around 22ms.

And it probably is. Render time is correlated with motion sickness independently of FPS. It has to do with the difference between where your brain expects to see something, and where it actually sees it. If you rotate your head 20 degrees, an object in your field of view should rotate 20 degrees in the opposite direction at the same velocity. If there's a lag -- the thing only rotates say 15 degrees -- there will be a mismatch, and your brain will report vertigo.

World-to-eye latency occurs at the speed of light, so it's practically instantaneous. But your retina-to-brain latency is about 90 milliseconds, and you have a little wiggle room there. Oculus has found that you can tolerate up to about 20ms of latency to the retina before you start getting sick.

So I imagine there's a strong motivation to crank your settings until you get to about 20ms, but no more. If you do that, you can expect your FPS to be somewhere around 45 or so.

That said, 45 is kind of "sticky," even with ASW off. It'll stay at 45 through a range of render times, say 20-24ms something like that.

So, even with ASW off, the render time is much more granular and I feel it's a better variable for benchmarking.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Maybe is just ATW (Asynchronous TimeWarp) It is like Vsync and cannot be disable.

FPS is related to your render time. At 90fps you need to be able to render the image in no more than 1/90 of a second, or in other words 11ms. Pull up the Application Render Time HUD. I think you'll find that your GPU render time is pegged around 22ms.

And it probably is. Render time is correlated with motion sickness independently of FPS. It has to do with the difference between where your brain expects to see something, and where it actually sees it. If you rotate your head 20 degrees, an object in your field of view should rotate 20 degrees in the opposite direction at the same velocity. If there's a lag -- the thing only rotates say 15 degrees -- there will be a mismatch, and your brain will report vertigo.

World-to-eye latency occurs at the speed of light, so it's practically instantaneous. But your retina-to-brain latency is about 90 milliseconds, and you have a little wiggle room there. Oculus has found that you can tolerate up to about 20ms of latency to the retina before you start getting sick.

So I imagine there's a strong motivation to crank your settings until you get to about 20ms, but no more. If you do that, you can expect your FPS to be somewhere around 45 or so.

That said, 45 is kind of "sticky," even with ASW off. It'll stay at 45 through a range of render times, say 20-24ms something like that.

So, even with ASW off, the render time is much more granular and I feel it's a better variable for benchmarking.

Interesting!

I’d still like to figure out why I’m locked to half frame rate though, whether we look at frame time or FPS, I’m still capped at 40, very consistently and seemingly independent of where I look. I’d expect it to improve if I look at sky, but still no change. I’m going to try messing with Nvidia CP settings.

Interesting!

I’d still like to figure out why I’m locked to half frame rate though, whether we look at frame time or FPS, I’m still capped at 40, very consistently and seemingly independent of where I look. I’d expect it to improve if I look at sky, but still no change. I’m going to try messing with Nvidia CP settings.

I just remembered what fixed it for me. Are you Also getting low GPU utilisation as well when ASW is off? Set Nvidia profile to default. Make sure your memory is set to correct profile in my case I had turned off xmp(needs to be on). One of these things fixed it for me.

Edited by nrosko

Interesting!

make sure you're not cpu limited, turn shadows off and set vis range medium, get your CPU render time down to 7 or 8 if you can. If so your FPS should climb into the 50's or 60's if you climb out or go out over the water. Oculus tray tool allows you to turn ASW on or off on the fly, sometimes you have to toggle it back and forth to get it to "take"

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

make sure you're not cpu limited, turn shadows off and set vis range medium, get your CPU render time down to 7 or 8 if you can. If so your FPS should climb into the 50's or 60's if you climb out or go out over the water. Oculus tray tool allows you to turn ASW on or off on the fly, sometimes you have to toggle it back and forth to get it to "take"

I am CPU limited, I know that already. It just seems odd that it's exactly 40.

Though the other day, after disabling ASW it was at 40 for awhile, then started to fluctuate back up to 50-60. I then turned ASW back on (as an experiment), and it dropped to 40, then would not go back up once I disabled ASW again. Strange.

And yes, I am 100% sure ASW is actually disabling, as I know what artefacts to look for that indicate it is on (The squigglies and such).