Rift S tracking issues after 1.38 update

Redshift

Oculus have pushed 1.38 as a mandatory update and I see no way to avoid it or to revert back. It has caused tracking issues in the Rift S with judder on head movements which may not be present on game launch but becomes evident after a few minutes. The problem then becomes apparent in other apps including Oculus Home. Others have reported this in other games. It was apparently reported in 1.38 betas but still they decided to push it to stable.

(Yes, THAT Redshift)

Not having a problem on my end <knocking on wood>.

Been running 1.38 since it was available in the PTC.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

All smooth for me too...running 1.38 PTC

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I had the problem on beta, reverted to stable. I’ll have to try and avoid this stable update!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Have you tried turning off ASW not ideal but I have to do it a lot on my mobile rig if it can't maintain close to 40fps it does weird crap and judders.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Have you tried turning off ASW not ideal but I have to do it a lot on my mobile rig if it can't maintain close to 40fps it does weird crap and judders.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

When I had the problem, that didn’t help. It was an issue with tracking, when you move your head it judders really bad, but otherwise was ok

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

+1

Just received the forced update to 1.38 - totally f*@ked my tracking! Same issue as reported by others who are affected - micro-freeze/stutter when moving head about.

That's me out unless I can find a way to hack 1.37 back in or it gets ironed out by Oculus.

EDIT: I seem to have fixed it!!

- DL'd & ran the Oculus installer, ran the repair function which re-installed all the Rift gubbins (still 1.38, no firmware reverts).

- On a whim I 'removed the device' in the software & re-ran the HMD setup, however, I used a different USB port/controller on my MB (I believe it was plugged into a USB 3.1 gen2 port. Now standard 3.0)...

Low & behold, fired everything up expecting no change whatsoever - Wrong! Tracking was back to being smooth as silk!

I'm not quite sure which particular part of the process fixed the issue, but in this particular instance, on my machine, something squashed the gremlin!

I'm not saying this is a staunch fix for everyone...but might be worth a shot if you've not tried it so far.

EDIT 2: Also found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/c1wd9y/possible_fix_for_138_rift_s_stutter_problem/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Which would also tie into the above as I believe the USB 3.1 gen2 port I was using is indeed on an ASMedia controller.

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Sorted.

It turns out to be a USB port issue. My B450i motherboard has 4 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back, in two groups of two. One pair are marked "VR ready" in the manual and the other pair are not (!). When I switched the cable to a "VR ready" port the stutter and jitter went away.

(Yes, THAT Redshift)

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Just wanted to bump this up - this was never an issue for me until a few days ago with the 1.4 update.

I'm on an older Z97 board (4790k) and DCS was unplayable for me (image would hold on the hmd and when turning my head the new area would appear black) until I shuffled some of the usb's around to make use of the chipset usb ports (top most ports).

If anyone else is having these issues, give it a go.

I ended up swapping a couple of button boxes and my keyboard receiver over to usb hubs, removed a usb expansion card and am getting a much more stable system on the whole. This shouldn't be necessary though - apparently it's just the Rift S usb cable that needs to be relocated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]