Retiring Rookie Introduction - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Radial9

Reputation power: 0
Radial9 is on a distinguished road
Default Retiring Rookie Introduction

I don’t see a place for intro’s here so I’m hopeful I can just post this here. Retirement is soon looking me in the face. Two years ago I hung up my flightsim hobby after a major hardware issue after flying for over ten years. I am a real pilot, although not current and have not flown in 15 years. Looking around I made the call when the old system crashed not rebuild. So, I have been out of computer flying a few years now.

Now LMT has come out with P3Dv4. The future looks much better! Today I pulled the trigger on a nice new system, very similar to what David OC and a few others on the hardware build board just built. It will be a few weeks before it comes together. I have built 4 systems over the past 12 years, but I have never tried to OC a system. I’m going to try to do so on this one.

So… I stand here with crumpled up aviator hat in hand and see if, over the next month or two, I can have an additional resource to get me up and running. A place to come to when the feces hits the oscillating device, which it no doubt will, multiple times I’m sure.

Although I have flown mostly piston ac the past decade online, mostly the MAAM DC3. I was, and will be again, an active member of DC3 Airways. Thousands of hours all over the world. One of the nicest bunch of COF’s you could ever fly online with. I’m thinking of reaching for other new flying horizons along with the usual DC3 Multiplayer flights I join in on weekly.

And to the point of why I’m here… I dabbled a few frustrating years with Jane’s Longbow Apache many years ago. The A10C and Black Shark here are REALLY drawing my attention. I have spent a few weeks here in the shadows reading and watching YouTube to learning a bit more of the DCW world. There is no doubt once this system is built that A10 and I will be spending some serious time together over the next few years. I have ordered a nice joystick, so I guess the fall down the rabbit hole has begun.

I’m mature, I’m patient, I RTFM and know it is going to be a LONG climb to anywhere near proficiency. But hey, I’m getting ready to retire and I hope to have some serious time to dedicate to the efforts.

Down the road some, after this build and dozens of hours of A10C flight training, I might be looking around for other COF’s (certified old farts), and of course brazen young bold pilots, with which to fly with. Might have to have a look over the P51 and Spitfire too, being especially fond of piston slappers.
Thanks for reading! Again, I see no noob intro site so I thought guides and tutorials was a good place to start. Look forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,

Radial9
Radial9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
JINX_1391

Reputation power: 3
JINX_1391 will become famous soon enoughJINX_1391 will become famous soon enoughJINX_1391 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radial9 View Post
I don’t see a place for intro’s here so I’m hopeful I can just post this here...Look forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,

Radial9
Welcome Radial9! I hope you find what you're looking for in DCS and virtual aviation. This community has a ton to offer and I hope you find yourself a part of it.

Now that you're down the rabbit hole don't hesitate to reach out. There is a wealth of greatness in the DCS community and everyone is willing to help. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that the TF-51D comes free with the free download of DCS: World (if you already didn't know).

Again welcome - and cheers!

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C
module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS
or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."
-Pyromanic4002
JINX_1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
OnlyforDCS

Reputation power: 13
OnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really nice

The Spitfire is an absolute joy!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
MegOhm_SD

Reputation power: 12
MegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really nice

Welcome Radial9!

You will find plenty of help and advice here in this great community.

Exciting times ahead for DCS...Have patience with the transition.

<S>
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench, ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 65" Samsung 4k 8 Series, Oculus Rift!, Win 10

Last edited by MegOhm_SD; 06-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.
MegOhm_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Home Fries

Reputation power: 14
Home Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really nice

Welcome Radial9.

You'll find that DCS has almost everything to scratch your flying/fighting itch (short of multi-engine transport), whether it be seat of the pants flying, systems management, low level strike, and also the best helo sim on the PC. If you ever had any interest in rotary wing flying, get the huey and start learning. You'll find a significant learning curve with a very rewarding experience once the proverbial light bulb turns on. Rotary wing is a fun challenge for real-world fixed wing types, so I highly recommend it.

Best,
HF

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Radial9

Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for the delay in getting a post back up. The site is having some issues remembering me and my passwords. I think I have it worked out. My new dedicated flight sim computer is going together nicely. Should be done and ready for software in a week or so. Have spend many hours reading posts, manuals and tutorials to begin the learning curve climb. I'm taking notes as I go and will just slowly try to get questions answered and if I can't find the answer will post. Trying to decide now how much $$$ to drop on a flight stick. LOTS of opinions. I don't think I will be doing any other stick flying outside of DCS. I use, and have used, CH products for years and love them. I have 1000's of hours in the DC3 with them. Will be seeking advice on a stick here soon. The Warthog looks temping, especially since I will be staying in DCS. Just want to make sure it will be the right choice for the piston slappers and maybe the Black Shark too. Thanks again!!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Home Fries

Reputation power: 14
Home Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really nice

The hog is a great choice for a stick, especially if you want to fly the A-10C. However, if you're comfortable with CH and its programming language you can do a lot there as well. It all depends. I have a Cougar and Warthog (got the hog later), and I use a Sidewinder FFB2 for the Huey and Mi-8.

DCS will recognize all of your controllers, so you can use the WH for the tactical, CH yoke if they make a flyable C-47 or P-38 etc.

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Radial9

It says much about a community when members, who appear to be quite involved in the community as well as RL, take a moment to welcome a complete noob. Thank You! All of you. It’s appreciated.

I have a stack of boxes sitting next to me. All my components are here for a top shelf dedicated FS build. I have to leave on a business trip so the build is going to have to wait a week or two more. All in good time.

I’m going to wait to buy a stick and throttle. I spent a bunch of time on Home Fries pages looking over the work you have done. Pretty impressive. WAY over my head at this point. I need to work on getting ANY of the planes in DCS up and down without refolding any metal. I absolutely LOVE that Navy Aviator signature! Read it to the wife on the lani early this am over coffee. “Yup… met a few of them over the years.” I will give your rotary craft suggestion some cogitating… thanks.

I come to a flight stick decision with no previous preconceived bias or fondness for stiffness, functionality, or layout. At this point it might make sense to lean toward a TM Warthog. Especially since I see scripts and layouts for most all the piston slappers in DCS as well as the A10C.

Is there a rumor of a DCS C47? That would be as good as it gets as the saying goes.
Again, thanks for the outstretched hands. Always makes it easier to move forward into the unknown here.

Cheers,

Radial9
Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
mkiii

Reputation power: 5
mkiii will become famous soon enoughmkiii will become famous soon enough

To be honest, I haven't really found the need for scripts in DCS for my TM Warthog, although I do use one for another sim.

The A-10 practically runs out of the box with a WH, as you might expect, since the stick and the sim are designed for each other.

What I would recommend is something to get your stick off the desk though. Some people have posted many & various ways to do this, with floor mounted long extensions being the extreme end, and desk clamps to get the stick base.

I have just bought a Monstertech desk mount for the stick (the throttle sits on top of my PC to the other side). They are expensive, but do give you the flexibility to have the stck where you want it, and at a reasonable height.

As Homefries mentioned, a lighter stick can be more useful for the more nimble stuff. I just keep an old Saitek X-52Pro for those occasions.

As for a C47? Not sure, but it looks like at least one person is doing a mod... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE10nx2Hu2k
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
FragBum

Reputation power: 3
FragBum has a spectacular aura aboutFragBum has a spectacular aura aboutFragBum has a spectacular aura about

hey you guys most of those aircraft have the rotor on the wrong axis,..

Cheers Radial9 sounds like your getting ready for some serious SIMing