Probe and drogue refueling.

Did some SU33 AAR yesterday its kind of frustrating that the Tanker doesnt trail the hoses when he clears you precontact like real life. Also IRL they trail the hoses and then leave them out till they have finished refueling.

I know you guys are busy but if this could be fixed eventually it would be great.

Summary

Tanker on track trails the hose when 1st chick arrives.

Cleared pre contact is a position about 20ft behind the drogue ( hard to do if the drogue is not trailed).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 2 weeks later...

OK did a bit of night AAR yesterday made a video .

Summary as well as putting the drogue out so you can actually go to the pre-contact position can we have lights around the basket. They are pretty dull in real life but they do make it easier to spot the basket in your peripheral vision, all western drogues have lights for night work and surely the russians have something similar.

Finally is there a way we can defeat the AAR autopilot mode if you watch the video you can see I constantly have left Aileron in to fight the Autopilot as the tanker is in a turn.

Thanks

Windy

GTX 1080 Has its uses

OK did a bit of night AAR yesterday made a video .

Summary as well as putting the drogue out so you can actually go to the pre-contact position can we have lights around the basket. They are pretty dull in real life but they do make it easier to spot the basket in your peripheral vision, all western drogues have lights for night work and surely the russians have something similar.

Finally is there a way we can defeat the AAR autopilot mode if you watch the video you can see I constantly have left Aileron in to fight the Autopilot as the tanker is in a turn.

Thanks

Windy

there are refueling lights built into the 33. left alt+r. also western planes have lights on their refuel ports and probes for the same reason.

and from what Ive seen, thats how the system works. as soon as you extend the probe, what is basically an auto level autopilot kicks in. its set up so you only make the correction needed and re center the stick. typically drogue refueling isnt done while turning for a few safety reasons. in addition, drogue refueling in general is considerably harder than with a boom since you dont usually get position lights for a basket. just the lights on the basket pod which I think shows if you are closing or opening distance?

you do have on your hud a steering circle guiding you to contact position when in refuel mode. if you combine that with auto throttle with a tanker flying tracks and not orbits, its honestly not that hard to do. easier than most western planes have it

as for an override... havnt tried. MAYBE the autopilot override command or overriding the fcs? (cobra switch) untested myself though so no guarantees

Edited by tekrc

Sorry this request was an attempt to get the air to air refueling in the game more realistic.

Maybe I should have started with the fact that I have 10 years of Probe and Drogue refueling experience in real life.

Western Drogues have lights on them.

Probe and drogue refueling is not considerably harder than than boom at all.

We refuel in a turn a lot it is not a safety problem and is a required in real life thanks to Airspace limitations.

On Western drogues there are marking on the Hose to show you how far to push the drogue in and where the ideal position is they just aren't in the game.

I was trying to Make things better.

Finally I have no clue wtf is going on with the SU33 refueling autopilot. IRL the tanker speed changes slightly up and down thanks to the air mass you are flying in and him entering and rolling out of turns. You are constantly adjusting the throttle for this just like close formation. I would love to her from a russian pilot to know if they really use the autothrottle and autopilot it as in the west we fly the jet completely manually for AAR.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Sorry this request was an attempt to get the air to air refueling in the game more realistic.

Maybe I should have started with the fact that I have 10 years of Probe and Drogue refueling experience in real life.

Western Drogues have lights on them.

Probe and drogue refueling is not considerably harder than than boom at all.

We refuel in a turn a lot it is not a safety problem and is a required in real life thanks to Airspace limitations.

On Western drogues there are marking on the Hose to show you how far to push the drogue in and where the ideal position is they just aren't in the game.

I was trying to Make things better.

Finally I have no clue wtf is going on with the SU33 refueling autopilot. IRL the tanker speed changes slightly up and down thanks to the air mass you are flying in and him entering and rolling out of turns. You are constantly adjusting the throttle for this just like close formation. I would love to her from a russian pilot to know if they really use the autothrottle and autopilot it as in the west we fly the jet completely manually for AAR.

never seen the drogue lights myself. Ive only seen the refueling lights on the plane being fueled so thats what I mentioned and since we have that already I pointed it out to those that dont know

most definitely is more difficult than boom. its something my uncle who flew A-6s mentioned more than once on the subject. with boom refueling, you fly up to position and the boom operator handles the rest of the hookup as shown in several videos. while pilot still has to hold position after, the hookup is more difficult. in drogue fueling being off by about a foot contacting the basket or just rough air can cause lots of issues such as breaking the fuel line which also appears in video online and happened to one of the pilots on his wing. deviated too far and it broke off instead of detaching. if this happened on a boom system, the operator would simply disconnect to avoid damaging the boom or the receiving plane. some of of the risks of drogue fueling simply dont happen in boom fueling. he also mentioned the tanker racetracks that were used. wide ovals with long straits and waited until on a straight leg before attempting hookup to reduce chance of issues and makes it easier for the pilots

thats what I was told. I dont know what or when you flew so I cant speak for your experiences.

weather or not a type of fueling is harder or not I imagine would be up to that pilot's opinion more than anything. so that part is pointless argument to start. I was more saying more things can happen

as you pointed out the 33 fights you the whole time you are in a turn... so straights would probably be preferred over orbits and in reality too if this is accurate.

for the record this isnt meant to contest your validity. more explaining where I got info for what I was saying and reasoning for thoughts

Edited by tekrc

No man not trying to do that, was trying to get them to fix it thats all. I refuelled of the KC135 with the BDA over kuwait now that was hard work but what I did notice that there is way more allowable movement area with Probe and drogue once you are in than with the boom judging by the area I had to keep the bda drogue in. I was 92-2002 the drogue setup may have improved since your uncle did it.

I discussed it at length with a buddy who flew F16 and F111and we came to the conclusion that its easy to conect with the boom but harder to maintain contact.

Never had a problem tanking in the turn tho I will confess I did spokes the basket once but I figure thats not too bad in 10 years. I really want them to trail the hoses when you say you are going to the tanker so you can actually go to the pre contact position.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

No man not trying to do that, was trying to get them to fix it thats all. I refuelled of the KC135 with the BDA over kuwait now that was hard work but what I did notice that there is way more allowable movement area with Probe and drogue once you are in than with the boom judging by the area I had to keep the bda drogue in. I was 92-2002 the drogue setup may have improved since your uncle did it.

I discussed it at length with a buddy who flew F16 and F111and we came to the conclusion that its easy to conect with the boom but harder to maintain contact.

Never had a problem tanking in the turn tho I will confess I did spokes the basket once but I figure thats not too bad in 10 years. I really want them to trail the hoses when you say you are going to the tanker so you can actually go to the pre contact position.

uncle was definitely earlier. he was telling stories from the 70s wasnt in any later than 85 not sure about entry.

I agree it could work a fair bit smoother than it does. though I dont want the basket rolling out from someone calling 100nm out etc. I like how the 135 does it where once youre close enough the boom deploys after initial contact.

side notes I also realized the 78M doesnt tell me his altitude when I ask to rejoin like the 135 does? would be nice

also the 78M has 3 baskets and used to use all 3 in fc2. what happened since then where we can only have the wing baskets fueling? guessing a realism thing? which makes me wonder why it has 3. this has been mentioned but dont remember seeing anything official for a response

Yea not sure we got the 2 working , in reality I never saw 3 chicks refueling we only ever did 2 at a time the center basket was reserved for big aircraft, so on the VC10 I never used the center one. The probe and drogue just needs a bit of tweaking,

GTX 1080 Has its uses