TM Warthog & dcs a10c..

mastersetter

Well, finally took the plunge and have a tm warthog hotas on the way. Just wanted to find out how folks use this. Do you just use the default controls as they are, or maybe program some of the less used switches to some other controls?

Any other issues, feel free to let me know before it arrives.

Thanks ;)

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Plug and fly.

Nothing to configure. Warthog HOTAS simulates ... Warthog HOTAS so all switches and buttons are doing what is there to do, except for stick paddle perhaps or I missed something.

Only thing - not an issue - rather an observation - I ordered stick and throttle separately (totalled to the same price anyway), I did not like the throttle unit as it is strictly A-10C based and could not justify its price when I move away to the F-18C module at some point. It wasn't "generic" enough for me, stick on the other hand is pretty much similar to other A/C, plus TM is apparently making an F-18 stick that you can replace Warthog stick with so, for now at least I am using my X-55 throttle with TM stick. Awesome!

Edited by Gierasimov
addition

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Controls are ready to use on plug in. But i had some trouble with the axis commands, you should check that section out.

I dont use any dead zones or curvatures on it, but i heard some of the guys usin it. Its a personal preferance i suppose.

Ive changed only 3 buttons from the default setup. They were apu start and engine ignitions on throttle. I use those for night vision googles on/off and increase/decrease gain

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I don't mind the x55 at all, have had no issues with it. Just the throttle doesn't have some of the functionality I need for the a10c, and since I'm investing my time into dcs a10c I thought the next step was to get the proper hotas. Will see how it goes ;)

Hi,

As described above - check the axis / rudder / toe-brakes settings

The rest is default via plug & play

If you like to use it as a pattern - the zip contains my excel-sheet for the a-10c ( xls and xlsm )

I have set the Pinkie-Lever-Switch (stick button no 4) as MODIFIER-Switch for some extra functions

e.g.

Pinkie + MMCB = Active Pause on/off

Pinkie + TMS FWD/AFT/LEFT/RIGHT = Cockpit camera views (screenhot 2)

Well, finally took the plunge and have a tm warthog hotas on the way. Just wanted to find out how folks use this. Do you just use the default controls as they are, or maybe program some of the less used switches to some other controls?

Any other issues, feel free to let me know before it arrives.

Thanks ;)

Wow ms your so going to love it, I got mine as a two in one box package deal about 9 months ago. It's a beautiful piece of equipment and really well made too being quite heavy and solid construction. I had one minor fault after a few mths with the hat top switch not making a proper connection and the guy in the store kindly replaced the complete whole stick incl the base plate. I said you guys will get a replacement yea? And he said no TM don't replace them, they just refund and have it sent back, not sure what he's going to do with a throttle on its own tho. Anyway they're so awesome. I was battling with a crappy saitech $50 Joystick for ages until I saw these. The controls and switches are so perfectly placed and like the guys said, it's plug n play and your good to go and you can tailor buttons and switches to your liking. I use the big flapper at the front of the stick for zooming in and the little nose wheel steering button to zoom out and I also mapped the left throttle button for auto pilot and the slew control button I push for centre view. The big INCR and DECR lever type throttle friction to the right of my throttle doesn't do anything on mine but the wheel at the top does increase and decrease throttle friction. And there are a few switches which don't really do anything like L and R Fuel Norm to Override and the L and R Eng Oper IGN and MOTOR but thanks Kyle for that night vision tip, I'll be slaving that asap. Anyway ms, you won't regret buying it, it's a remarkable piece of equipment especially catered or should I say replicated for the A-10C that'll give you years of enjoyment, nice one man!

:thumbup:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

For my personal input:

I've left all buttons as their default mappings.

As others have noted, the slap switch (lever on front of stick) doesn't exist in the actual A-10C, so this is a freebie. In my case, I have this mapped to NVGs on/off.

On the real stick, the grey slider (labeled Friction) controls the throttle friction. On the TMWH, this function is actually located at the top of the throttle section, with a black rotary dial with duplicate labeling. The grey slider is another freebie, I have this mapped to Zoom View so I can smoothly zoom to whatever level I need at the time and leave it.

Without an extension on the stick, I found a curve of 15 on the pitch and roll axis to be helpful. Since adding the 12cm extension, all of my axis controls are flat.

• Like 1

Wow ms your so going to love it, I got mine as a two in one box package deal about 9 months ago. It's a beautiful piece of equipment and really well made too being quite heavy and solid construction. I had one minor fault after a few mths with the hat top switch not making a proper connection and the guy in the store kindly replaced the complete whole stick incl the base plate. I said you guys will get a replacement yea? And he said no TM don't replace them, they just refund and have it sent back, not sure what he's going to do with a throttle on its own tho. Anyway they're so awesome. I was battling with a crappy saitech $50 Joystick for ages until I saw these. The controls and switches are so perfectly placed and like the guys said, it's plug n play and your good to go and you can tailor buttons and switches to your liking. I use the big flapper at the front of the stick for zooming in and the little nose wheel steering button to zoom out and I also mapped the left throttle button for auto pilot and the slew control button I push for centre view. The big INCR and DECR lever type throttle friction to the right of my throttle doesn't do anything on mine but the wheel at the top does increase and decrease throttle friction. And there are a few switches which don't really do anything like L and R Fuel Norm to Override and the L and R Eng Oper IGN and MOTOR but thanks Kyle for that night vision tip, I'll be slaving that asap. Anyway ms, you won't regret buying it, it's a remarkable piece of equipment especially catered or should I say replicated for the A-10C that'll give you years of enjoyment, nice one man!

:thumbup:

Thanks looking forward to getting stuck in! Incidentally, the grey lever thing, I have seen folks use that as a zoom. For me, zoom function is critical, don't think I would be able to fly without it so I will be looking to do that ;)

Hi,

As described above - check the axis / rudder / toe-brakes settings

The rest is default via plug & play

If you like to use it as a pattern - the zip contains my excel-sheet for the a-10c ( xls and xlsm )

I have set the Pinkie-Lever-Switch (stick button no 4) as MODIFIER-Switch for some extra functions

e.g.

Pinkie + MMCB = Active Pause on/off

Pinkie + TMS FWD/AFT/LEFT/RIGHT = Cockpit camera views (screenhot 2)

Thank you for sharing, some great ideas there ;)

Ok, have the WH now. Dam this thing is heavy, I will have to do some work on my chair mounts, the x55 was so light compared to this thing. Both controls are now set and working well. I'm going to have to sell the x55 and see if I can get rudder pedals, I didn't need them before, now I do. The controls feel nice, the stick will take getting used to though as I don't really like a stiff spring but it will be fine. The throttle is great but the slew control is horrible, I have found some plans for a more accurate part so will see if I can 3d print something at work. Overall happy with the WH, and it will make dcs a10c that little bit easier to handle hopefully ;)

I'm surprised no one mentioned mapping the trim controls to the trim hat.

They're mapped to the view commands by default.

• Like 2

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I'm surprised no one mentioned mapping the trim controls to the trim hat.

They're mapped to the view commands by default.

The hat switch does show the views, but if you hit RCtrl and the hat switch you get the trim. That's for those without Trackir.

Buzz

Just an update, I have the tfrp pedal set now, seem to work well enough. As for the WH itself, I have seen some videos with the stiction issue, and I think mine has it. The stick movement isn't smooth and fine control in AA refuelling etc would be very hard with the poor way it moves. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this thing, as honestly the whole system is not that impressive at all.

Question, has anyone here performed a tear down, and sanding of the gimbal system? Worth doing or too risky?

I play A10c and still learning. Everytime when i do an instant action and get to the last task which is the columm DCS cuts out and get the message DCS stopped working. I have i5 processor, 16gb RAM and Geforce GTX960. I also have the warthog hotas. Can someone please help

TM Warthog & dcs a10c..

I did the tear down and regrease. I also clamped my spring reducing about two full turns to lower the center force and reduce overall friction. I run a custom profile with all buttons mapped to DX and some curves on my axis. This allows me to have a single profile for all planes and assign buttons in dcs and not in the profile.

Here is the video you wanna use to guide you: https://youtu.be/OQOOoPdmRl8

You don't need to sand the spherical parts too much, it's mostly the pins and the rectangular opening causing friction. Make sure to test it as you go. For me I'd added a little bit of stick rotation play, maybe 1-2 degrees more then the initial 1 degree. No additional play on X & Y though. The result is really nice and I can now do much better gun runs and refueling is much easier then before.

Another thing I did is replace the 3 position policy light switch on the putter left side of the throttle. I found a nice drop in mil spec replacement and it now switches much better and doesn't stay stuck in one position as it used to.

It's sad that they didn't take care of all these issues at a design level, us tolerances metal pins and higher quality switches. But now that I modded that I am really happy with my stick. The programmable profile is also great and adds infinite possibilities !

Edited by BlackSharkAce

Thanks bsa, I had that video lined up ;) I did the tear down this morning. bit nerve wracking, and took me ages to sand the pins down to an acceptable state. The o ring was also damaged, and pinched through the top, so I removed it, did the mod, sanded all parts, greased up & re assembled. Fortunately all is working fine, and I have recalibrated using the tm app. The stick does move much better now, so I'm happy with it. I also did the slew mod on the throttle, using the 3d model available online. This works a little better now too, so I can concentrate on getting used to the controls, and get more seat time ;)

TM Warthog & dcs a10c..

Thanks bsa, I had that video lined up ;) I did the tear down this morning. bit nerve wracking, and took me ages to sand the pins down to an acceptable state. The o ring was also damaged, and pinched through the top, so I removed it, did the mod, sanded all parts, greased up & re assembled. Fortunately all is working fine, and I have recalibrated using the tm app. The stick does move much better now, so I'm happy with it. I also did the slew mod on the throttle, using the 3d model available online. This works a little better now too, so I can concentrate on getting used to the controls, and get more seat time ;)

Nice, glad it worked out. I haven't tried the slew mod, you got a link to the 3D model ?

Sure..

https://tazintosh.com/en/thrustmaster-hotas-warthog/

This is the mod I used. I had 3 sets made, I ended up using just the replacement insert as I can use the slew OK as is, with the finger grip on top, it's very easy to hit it accidentally as it stands out in the grip. But even after this it still not great, the sensor they have used for this is terrible, and you can see how TM replaced it for the t1600 throttle, which has a much better slew control, but it is all we have.

Someone else may have said it (didn't read all the posts), but it is plug and play with the exception of the trim hat. That seems to always default to views for me so I have to go set those to trim functions. Aside from that the TMW and DCS A-10C are like peas and carrots.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed something about the slew control. If TAD is SOI, the cursor moves well in all directions, no issues. But with TGP as SOI, the movement is inconsistent, and starts/stops all the time, erratic almost. This is something Edouard commented on in his website also. Anyone else notice this?