Modern-aircraft DCS pilots: What do you prefer over the older aircraft?

Jamesp1

Yes, flight model is ok but system model is bit simple.

Its still really good plane to use, only bad AI and bad missile/sensor modeling makes it frustrating sometimes.

For me modern planes are way to go because hide and seek with sensors requires more planing than ww2 style furball. :smartass:

Yes I agree with you.

I was wondering the same until I read the DCS write up:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/f-15c_dcs_world/

'The DCS Flaming Cliffs F-15C includes a professional level flight model'

I too like electronics, air to ground/air to air radar and weapon delivery systems, sophisticated NAV and avionics systems all built into a fast fighter. I've been sitting on the fence trying to figure out which plane I want to invest in the learning curve.

One thing that I don't like is not having an English cockpit, the learning curve is a lot quicker when you can read and understand without a translation sheet.

Interesting thoughts here...

If you want to ease into something I think the F15C is probably a good starting point. It has enough modeled that you won't be completely overwhelmed and you can get in the air and accomplishing things pretty quick.

I was wondering the same until I read the DCS write up:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/f-15c_dcs_world/

'The DCS Flaming Cliffs F-15C includes a professional level flight model'

I too like electronics, air to ground/air to air radar and weapon delivery systems, sophisticated NAV and avionics systems all built into a fast fighter. I've been sitting on the fence trying to figure out which plane I want to invest in the learning curve.

One thing that I don't like is not having an English cockpit, the learning curve is a lot quicker when you can read and understand without a translation sheet.

Interesting thoughts here...

F-15 systems modeling is good enough that you can learn and execute proper tactics with it. Simplified modeling mostly means that you have harder time navigating around, can't modify systems settings as much and lack some smart functionality in the weapons systems that would make it even more simple to use or more effective in certain situations.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

The era of planes begins with first plane with jet engine in the service.

So called "planes" with rotor (except helicopters), making "pyr pyr pyr pyr" is big *yaaaaawn*.

The explanation cannot be given by me as it is too much to be written. Let's say I just think so.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I fly the P-51D with a group of great gents on Sundays and hop on BF quite a bit, so i very much understand the contrast. Although, still a novice, I've been learning more and more, and this has led me to an interesting revelation. While prop driven combat is a battle of energy, Modern jet combat is a battle of energy and distance control. Its the addition of distance and closure that I've been focusing on in my sessions, as this very closely resembles the sport of fencing (or I guess any martial art, but I used to fence competitvely.) There are also some other aspects of strategy that one most take into account before the engagement begins, because after is usually too late. The other night I was a single ship egress from the AO due to my fuel state. I, in a mirage, was being chased by 2 mig-29s and without using my afterburner (because of low fuel state,) I knew they would catch me. So I dove to a valley and broke right while popping flares and with a lit after burner. After my burst stopped, I chopped the throttle and reversed my direction with a Spilt-S. I followed the valley for 60 second or so, without emitting with my radar (as it would give away my position). I turned towards the last known location of the two ship and climbed in full burn, after another 20 seconds or so I flipped my radar on, achieved lock and took out the 2nd Mig. I'm sure he had no idea what hit him. The flight lead did take notice and turned back on me. I dove back into the Caucasus mountains and egressed to Sochi for rearm and refueling.After reviewing the tacview replay the flight lead had tried to follow me through the valleys after the engagement but was caught by a friendly ingressing to the AO. But the tactic worked; drawing the Migs off to the north with pretty lights whilst flanking on their southern side. I'm not very good, but that was a very good moment. Modern jets aren't better or worse than their ancestors (gameplay wise), rather they open up different tactics which makes the whole flight and fight more challenging!

I enjoy both equally, & lately I've been flying the WWII birds more and more (109 and the Spit). I love the hands on feel.

However, I enjoy BVR and 'tactical' combat a whole lot too, and I also enjoy the feel of the planes. The surprisingly good flight models of some jets are really fun.

One other thing to consider, with the visibility issues in DCS, having radar, RWR and other great sensors takes a lot of guesswork out of the fight. This is not an unimportant point. It also adds another layer of challenge, as sometimes you can use dissapearing 'tactics' and sort of steal away from people who will have a hard time seeing you even within visual range.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I like the hands-on approach flying the P-51, but I like the navigational aids that you get with the newer craft, particularly the A10C and the KA-50. I'm not a huge fan of BVR - the concept is neat but I don't think it translates to fun gameplay. Therefore I've found myself playing the Ka-50 more than any other aircraft right now. I can fly hands on with Flight Director, or let the autopilot do its work; the avionics are solid (though I hate that ABRIS isn't connected to the other waypoint thingy ... PVI something) if a bit clumsy to use without a keyboard like the A10 has; and it's a good platform for modern weapons like the VIKHRs for tank busting and a reasonably powerful gun. All in all, I really dig the Ka-50, my only complaint would be that it doesn't have heat sensors to pick up targets at night, and in general finding ground targets with labels off is difficult. (could be an artifact of the game itself and resolution limitations however)

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

I'm not sure about too much a learning curve since there's SO much left out that we don't have to learn, mainly talking about aircraft systems and limitations. We only have to learn a small amount to get up and flying in here.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals