buying from DCS v. other vendor...

fitness88

From all that I have heard from Steam users, the disadvantages of using it are never outweighed by the benefits....

I think that a lot of the younger folks use steam because it's sold in a shiny package with a bunch of "perks". Many of the older people prefer to just do it the simple way.

How old are we talking? I'm 38 and I much prefer Steam.

All of my games are on Steam. They all get updated automatically at speeds that max out my 100Mbps connection.

I think standalone is more viable for people who only play DCS or play it all the time.

Recently, I tend to play once or twice every few months. I don't want to have to manually update my software when I feel like playing.

I also quite like the Steam overlay and friends list, but the main reason is Steam's automatic updates and speed.

Saying that Steam users are impressed by shiny things really does nothing to help the situation.

Some people prefer Steam. Their reasons aren't even important. Let's not alienate them.

From all that I have heard from Steam users, the disadvantages of using it are never outweighed by the benefits. I hear complaint after complaint from it's users about update issues, compatibility issues, late release issues, serial number issues, etc. There always seems to be problems.

For the life of me I could never see why anyone would go through a middle man when you can go directly to the source.

I think that a lot of the younger folks use steam because it's sold in a shiny package with a bunch of "perks". Many of the older people prefer to just do it the simple way.

+1

I have Steam. Never have been impressed by them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Steam is a way to access games centrally BUT, they are a nightmare if something doesn't work. IL2 Cliffs of Dover, played it once, hasn't worked since. No help, no refund, no good. Ship Sim Extreme, worked once or twice, then just stopped. No help, no refund no use. After that unless I cannot get it anywhere else I buy exclusively from the developer. All my DCS content is direct. X-Plane 11 directly. There is no advantage to using a third party over the developer directly.