Software used to develop modules

Devil 505

This is primarily a serious question to any devs, ED or third party. What software are you using to create modules? I know the new engine is on the way, but myself and the team I am putting together wanted to start creating our own module. I am in the process of getting a team together and we would like to know what base software is needed to start working a module into 2.0? This info would be much appreciated.

I would think 3DSMAX is being used for 3D models. I am not a programmer or a 3D artist, however the one I have found is requesting this information. Thanks for the help gents. If this endeavor continues down the path I hope its going, we would like to bring some new and interesting things to DCS.

Regards

Robert

You can use whatever program you want but is needs to be imported into MAX to be exported [ as an .EDM format ] into Game Engine.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Gentleman,

Greatly appreciate the responses. The 3D artist I am talking to said he works with cinema4d and has no options to save the file as .EDM format. He would like to know if there is any conversion programs he can use? Thanks guys.

You can create the model in any software you please than can export in a format that 3dsmax can open. You will need someone with access to 3dsmax to export it as .edm.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

To Import a .3DS you'd also have to re-do materials and animations in max as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

You "Should" be able to export a Cinema4d Model / animation / materials etc as a Filmbox format file, (.fbx). This will import directly into 3dsMax, and bring in almost everything you need. Tweaks will still need to be done, but most of the hard work can be avoided.

Using .3ds files is not very useful these days. There are severe limits on what it can handle, not least the polygon count, which is limited to 65535 triangles per mesh. This may work for you if you intend to do simple objects, but it is a lot easier to get a model to the almost complete stage in your app of choice before importing it into Max. Especially if it is rigged up and has LODs. The painful transition to Max probably aught to be done sooner rather than later. Your artist might even like it.

I use Modo in my day-to-day modelling, and have no (major) problems importing finished, textured models into Max / Maya via .fbx files. I did a quick test of an aircraft model exported to .fbx, imported into Max and loaded it into Model viewer OK. I just wish I had more time to play around with this stuff. it would be nice to see some of my models in DCS, even if they were just AI driven.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We've (A-4 community mod) experienced a bunch of bugs with going Blender -> .FBX -> 3dsMax -> .EDM

Basically, inverted faces, missing vertexes, and other wierd artifacts. The conversion from .blend also takes a REALLY long time on large scenes/objects, and is prone to just crashing sometimes.

While we'd love to see a Blender-compatible .EDM plugin, not sure it'll ever happen. Would definitely open up DCS:W to a lot of new content though, given the $0 barrier to entry.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Look here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95985

I think minimum you'll need msbuild 2014 which is part of Visual Studio to write some connection to DCS. Apart from that you could use punch-cards if you'd like :)

Realistically I think 100% of us devs are using Visual Studio as our main development environment and probably everyone has developed their own system. I am still hoping someone would create an interface for FlightGear though.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

• 2 weeks later...

“you could use punch-cards if you'd like”

That’s funny! I used to have to use them back in the early 80’s when I was in the USAF. What a real pain in the a$$ they were...

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64