In-game eye distance is wrong! How to correct?

Nooch

You're right, after having played several hours with the oculus now I would definitely advise you to wait for the next gen. Right now the resolution is awful, so bad in fact that you cannot even read inscriptions in the cockpit and even in general, it's a big immersion killer. If you then add up the fact that everything out of the center of the image is blurry, plus the stereoscopic vision that feels uncomfortable right now, man... I don't know if it's actually better than a normal screen with Track IR...

It all boils down to personal preference and perception.

I got my Rift on Jan 15, and just can not go back to gaming on a monitor. I tried and it lasted about 15 minutes, my Track IR is officially retired and put away.

While this first generation has some well known shortcomings, for me I am so immersed into what I am doing I hardly even notice them. And many of the instruments I can manage to read.

A disclaimer though - I am a single player only guy and have no trouble flying with icons when needed. I am trying to work on my spotting skills to maybe eventually get to where I can fly more without them, would be a challenge though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You're right, after having played several hours with the oculus now I would definitely advise you to wait for the next gen. Right now the resolution is awful, so bad in fact that you cannot even read inscriptions in the cockpit and even in general, it's a big immersion killer. If you then add up the fact that everything out of the center of the image is blurry, plus the stereoscopic vision that feels uncomfortable right now, man... I don't know if it's actually better than a normal screen with Track IR...

I would not advise anyone anything in VR we are all so different .... your opinion is very valid though.

I speak from an experience with the rift, similar to yours.

Yet in-game, my left eye and right eye images don't align properly. They seem too far apart resulting in double vision, discomfort and even eyestrain after long sessions........ .... can I do anything about it? Is there anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Yup, I experienced it and sent my Rift back to Amazon when they first came out. My opinion THEN would be the same as yours NOW.

But to put it in perspective, I was using 4 monitors with the main being UHD and 50" and the others all 1920x1080 running HELIOS. I also wear glasses.

Later after VR lens brought these out, https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/ I purchaseD them and tried again.

There was some double vision for the first week or so until the eyes became used to it. What helped is that I would focus at something near in the cockpit and then focus outside at 'infinity' and back close again...

I can happily read all gauges and inscriptions without using the zoom on any of the 4 rotary airframes.

Very occasionally I sometimes get double vision especially when tired but a couple of focusing exercises normally sorts that.

Target spotting with the in cockpit monitor in the KA50 & Gazelle is not the same as having it exported solely to a 32" HD monitor though :)

For me, VR is so much more a enjoyable experience than 2D... After 2 months the 50" UHD has been given to the wife for the spare room, 2 monitors put by along with track IR - and the last monitor I only use for DCS ME and the NET.

Mostly I fly rotary wings in MP environment.

Everyone is different.

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

I found that what's working best for me right now is to make two quick five minute breaks every hour of VR flight and also avoid reading kneeboard checklists and stuff like that. At least that's what I did last time and I did not experience too much eyestrain at all. Stereo vision still feels awkward though. I guess that's something I'll have to get used to cause I can't do anything about it. :noexpression:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stereo vision still feels awkward though. I guess that's something I'll have to get used to cause I can't do anything about it. :noexpression:

Yup breaks are important especially until you are well used to it.

Different cockpits effect me different, a bright HUD can make it awkward and force double vision, I always adjust mine down....

I always adjust the seat down too if the sight hardware is in your face that helps a lot too...

I'm least comfortable 'eye' wise in the Prop cockpits...

SIGBLOCK.png

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've done some additional research and I might not have been completely wrong in my first post. It indeed seems like the IPD scale is fixed to 64 mm no matter what you do and therefore is wrong for most people.

It's important to note though that this is coming from the Oculus runtime itself so ED should not be taken as responsible for this. Many threads (outside of the ED forums) have already been created. Because the threads (at least the ones I've read) date back from last year, the Oculus devs might have fixed the issue already. I don't know yet.

Here is just one of the threads but there exist many on the subject.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]