[REPORTED]IGLA SA-18 Threat

Oscar Juliet

If you don't know the Igla will not spike your missile warning receiver. Its a bug.

My question to everyone is can we mod a fix in since this isn't patched? I've seen many fixes/mods that were temporary until ED got to fixing something. So I'm wondering if this has been done or if someone can do it.

Many great missions out there that have those threats. Sucks to get smacked by one when you had no idea it was coming.

Edited by BIGNEWY
TITLE

I whole-heartedly support Oscar Juliets statement. Not even once either during SP or MP has a russian MANPADS triggered the MWS for me, and friends report the same findings.

During 1.5.5 I made a simple SP training mission where I placed an A-10 at 3000ft and moved the MANPADS in a circle from 12 all the way around back again. I then moved the scenario so I could start messing around with altitudes a bit better so I got shot between everything from below to from above (and combine that with from all "o'clocks" ;P). It took me a "few" hours to do all this, but not even once did the MWS alert me.

After 1.5.5 I've done a simpler and quicker tests (mainly getting fired shot from where, according to IRL documents, there shouldn't be any blind spots) and still, no warnings even in 1.5.7 stable-branch.

In MP no matter what version I've just never gotten any warning and any dodges has been pure luck, but I've never done any systematic REAL tests in MP.

Other systems does warn it's just the frikkin' MANPADS for me.

It depends heavily on MWS field of view and angle to the missile.

I dont know if this is intended or not, but the warning is working only under determined angle of view.

But is working. Here is a video with a first warning and no warning after.

XZPUpBMGC-I

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

It depends heavily on MWS field of view and angle to the missile.

I dont know if this is intended or not, but the warning is working only under determined angle of view.

But is working. Here is a video with a first warning and no warning after.

XZPUpBMGC-I

What you are showing in this video does not happen for myself or any of my pilot's who fly with me. We fly a modified version of Bactria that is available on the ED site.

There are many Igla's on that mission buried in the woods so we often get fired upon. Unless another pilot is looking for smoke we never have an indication of a launch. No missile warnings ever.

I've seen someone flying by an area just like you are, they get shot and smacked out of the sky because they never got the warning.

This controlled test seems to work. It doesn't for us in a practical mission. Something is breaking it or causing it not to work properly.

I wish it wouldn't be overlooked. Even in the control sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Everything else works for launch warnings but not this.

are you sure your MWS is on? maybe you overlooked that?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Well im not sure why the warning is not working always but as you see in the vídeo the SA-18 is triggering the MWS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

It probably is a bug, but keep in mind you shouldn't be treating the MWS as the primary defense against MANPADS. Always fly with a buddy and keep a good lookout, as you're already doing. The MWS should complement mutual support and good SA, not replace it.

I do believe certain people are not capable of reading posts.

Of course my MWS is on.

The video shows there is some sort of problem.

I know this isn't the only way to watch Igla threats as I'm not only a lead with a decent group but I explained how we currently find the threats.

It is a bug that needs to be addressed and has been reported on multiple occasions.

The purpose of this thread was to find out if it could be fixed via mod.

I was able to trigger my MWS three times in a row from the same SA-18 twice with the same mission.

And also with the same mission some times i´m only having two out fo three, one out of three and once none.

So something is happening under the hood but still i dont know if this is a bug, or another thing.

What is interesting is that in 10 consecutive test with the same mission like the video i´ve posted ALWAYS at least once the MWS was triggered in three launches so i cant understand why you never experienced the MWS working ever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MWS is reliable against all other threats including some non threats like TOW missile launches on the ground. So for it not to be reliable against one of these I would like to find out why?

We placed many of these in the desert on a mission in 2.1. Only one launch warning out of several last night. It is very hit and miss.

ED will need to address it as a bug or provide documentation as to why it is not a bug.

We had another thread on this that didn't go anywhere. I don't get ANY MWS warnings from MANPADS when the wings (and therefore the wing sensors) are pointing towards the threat, but I do get warnings from shots ahead or behind me. The blind spot certainly grew and there's been no explanation for it.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer