What Map?

BuzzU

Hopefully the Straight of Hormuz map will come along for the Hornet in a decent timeframe.

I guess it could happen before the Hornet is available, who knows?

In the mean time the Caucuses should be acceptable for Carrier Ops.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Hopefully the Straight of Hormuz map will come along for the Hornet in a decent timeframe.

We posted at the same time. Ok, that's what I was thinking too. I wanted to see how others felt.

Buzz

I know, but it's a Navy plane and i'm sure that's how most of us are going to use it. I'd prefer the F-16 if I was going to take off from land.

The Marines operate their F-18s from land bases around the US as well, so they are perfectly capable of land operations.

Specs:

1tb HDD

AMD FX-6300

16gb DDR3

Nvidia GTX-1070

Oculus CV1

You could also place a carrier in the English channel n the ww2 map. :thumbup:

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The Marines operate their F-18s from land bases around the US as well, so they are perfectly capable of land operations.

And F/A18 Export operator as well use it from land bases.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Yes, but if it wasn't for the Navy we wouldn't even have the F/A-18. I'll always think of it as a Navy plane and use it that way.

IF F/a18 is released prior to Straight of Hormuz,

Plant a Nimitz Carrier in the Caucasus Black sea, or even in the ww2 map English channel will work for carrier ops.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

True, but I did not mention Normandy as OP said it was the wrong period...

But we will definitly see missions with carriers and F18s over Normandy..

Doesn't bother me, I will fly it there no problem.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• ED Team

Buzzu, it is only your own imagination that limits you :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Kev..........Who would we be attacking on the Normandy map?

Even wags said the reason why Normandy map is being sold seperatly from the ww2 units is for simmers who are interested playing on the map with post ww2 aircraft or combined arms assets.

Considering we have had so many fictional scenarios in Caucasus, I dont see why you cant do the same on the Normandy map.

One could easily pretend you are fending off a Warsaw pact invasion or something, and that this is the last stand ( they breached fulda gap and have reached the coasts of France)

That's just 1 idea.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

True, but I can only fool myself so much. wink.gif

+1. Pushing it further than some hypothetical scenario like Operation Unthinkable actually taking place and going wrong resulting in front lines being back to the positions from '44 is probably as far I could bend my imagination. MiG-15 and Sabre would fit such scenario but anything further than 1'st generation jets requires a lot, I mean a lot of imagination. Besides of Normandy airfields being not exactly best suited for the modern jets I would constantly scratch my head trying to figure out how the hack is the GPS working.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

+1. Pushing it further than some hypothetical scenario like Operation Unthinkable actually taking place and going wrong resulting in front lines being back to the positions from '44 is probably as far I could bend my imagination. MiG-15 and Sabre would fit such scenario but anything further than 1'st generation jets requires a lot, I mean a lot of imagination. Besides of Normandy airfields being not exactly best suited for the modern jets I would constantly scratch my head trying to figure out how the hack is the GPS working.

GPS is working, Think because its modern day era, use imagination that environment hasnt changed much since ww2, and that those are temporary strips built FOr helicopters Ground attack aircraft, and for emergency landing for fighters. Well it sort of works, You can have a flight plan but mapping doesn't exactly work ( its black background). I dont think ED has made an actuall map for GPS's

Aircraft like the A10 and Su25 were every much designed in mind to be able top operate from poor quality airfields or hastily prepared landing strips. IN part to operate closer to freindly forces and going in the assumption that main airfields would be primary target, and easy to locate if Cold war went hot. Even Russian fighters like the Mig29 and Su27 were designed with more rugged landing gear compared to western counterparts, So they too could operate from such strips. The Viggen. Also another aircraft that was designed with ease of maintainability and rugged gear to operate from austere conditions.

I dont need to have a compelling back story. I still found it entertaining to fly In Normandy with modern aircraft, just to experience a New map as well the new lightning and Water effects.

In any case if you take much issue with playing modern era aircraft Normandy, Good OL' Caucasus remains a viable modern day scenario. Carriers can be placed in the Black sea.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Straight of Hormuz is the ticket. Whether it's released before, simultaneously, or after the Hornet is a mystery at this point. I can't remember Wag's exact words, but he has mentioned SOH as a map catered towards carrier ops.

I would imagine the updated Caucasus map will also be a prime candidate as well.

Without knowing how close to the merge we are it's hard to say if we'll have the Hornet or the maps first. The AV-8B and F-14 will both be looking for a carrier ops home as well so I'm sure there will be a method to the madness release wise.

Lol F/A-18c catapulting from the Nimitz and chasing BF-109 above Normandie's beaches.... I'm not surprized, I've seen something similar but with F-14 and Zero...

No one said it has to chase down a BF109.

one could have Redforce airfields that are further inland normandy and Mig29s and Su27's deploy from them.

A new cold war that goes Hot ;)

Defense of Fulda gap failed. This revelation caught nato entirely by surprise. Ruskis are near the shores of Normandy

soviet-armor-assault.jpg

attempt to prevent another "dunkirk". make an attempt to Defend the last amounts of mainland Europe. IF sucessfull, Counter offensives begin.

Fail? and the red curtain extends over rest of mainland Europe with England and US being the last free reamaining Nato countries.....

If failed?

Scenario 2. 1 last shot.

Nato pushed back to England. This is the very last stand.

Modern day battle of Brtain. Soviets want to mount thier own Operation Sea lion. Defend UK airspace from Russian Fighters trying to provide AS because they want to launch thier own "operation sea lion"

leyzjuN.png

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Straight of Hormuz is the ticket. Whether it's released before, simultaneously, or after the Hornet is a mystery at this point. I can't remember Wag's exact words, but he has mentioned SOH as a map catered towards carrier ops.

I would imagine the updated Caucasus map will also be a prime candidate as well.

Without knowing how close to the merge we are it's hard to say if we'll have the Hornet or the maps first. The AV-8B and F-14 will both be looking for a carrier ops home as well so I'm sure there will be a method to the madness release wise.

I sure hope the plane comes first. We have a map.

• Like 1

Buzz