Ok... got the F16... now what?!

Herkyman

It was on sale, so why not. Went to youtube and found a few videos where they review it and recommend it. So why not?

Go in to training... only 2 missions. I can start the plane, I can taxi and take off.

Now what?? Where do I learn how to do anything else... where do I learn how to land... dog fight.... ground attack... etc? Where do I learn how to use and set up the MFD's?

And then to top it off... my controller throttle will not work with the simulation. Have to use NUM PAD + and - to throttle up or down... WTF?

It fly's pretty! But that is all I can seem to be able to do now...

For the F16 a startup, takeoff, landing and a few ground attack training lessons are available. In order to understand A-A systems , the TGG, the radar, navigation systems and so on you can either watch youtube tutorials or read the F16 guide for DCS. It is not too hard to learn those things without training missions. Just create a custom mission with the mission editor and try new things after or while watching the tutorial.

This is the link for the guide: https://srv13files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-F-16C_Early_Access_Guide_EN.pdf#page105

Here is a link to the youtube tutorial series from Wags:

Ka 50 - MIG 21 - FW 190 D9 - SU 27 - F15 - F 16

For the F16 a startup, takeoff, landing and a few ground attack training lessons are available. In order to understand A-A systems , the TGG, the radar, navigation systems and so on you can either watch youtube tutorials or read the F16 guide for DCS. It is not too hard to learn those things without training missions. Just create a custom mission with the mission editor and try new things after or while watching the tutorial.

This is the link for the guide: https://srv13files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-F-16C_Early_Access_Guide_EN.pdf#page105

Here is a link to the youtube tutorial series from Wags:

He’s obviously on stable if only seeing 2 TMs.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It was on sale, so why not. Went to youtube and found a few videos where they review it and recommend it. So why not?

Go in to training... only 2 missions. I can start the plane, I can taxi and take off.

Now what?? Where do I learn how to do anything else... where do I learn how to land... dog fight.... ground attack... etc? Where do I learn how to use and set up the MFD's?

And then to top it off... my controller throttle will not work with the simulation. Have to use NUM PAD + and - to throttle up or down... WTF?

It fly's pretty! But that is all I can seem to be able to do now...

It's not even close to finished. Training missions are kind of a ''later in lifecycle'' thing, for obvious reasons, just like manuals. That said, minimal effort on your part should be able to turn up manuals, tutorials etc from real aircraft or something like Falcon, even if it's not 100% accurate, it should definitely get you started in the right direction.

As for your throttle, provide some details. It works fine afaik, and all game controllers are functionally the same on the backend. There's no reason one would work and another wouldn't unless something was corrupted or malfunctioning.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

There are about 10 training missions now in the OB version.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

... which was in development and released literally years before DCS F16 work even began and only focused on mainly one plane ever.

Right, and we are talking of the F16....:megalol:

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

First things first..... Invest in mastering take-offs and landings... Dare to crash over and over again. Since DCS is a sim, you can simply restart and try again.

Only after you feel comfortable with the bird, you can step up to weapon systems and how to use them.

Whenever I get a new module I spend a lot of time at Nellis AFB on the NTTR map. Have some trucks and tanks placed 20 miles north in the training area and start with Mk82 bombs. Later go with LGBs or JDAMs.... I like that feeling of learning the plane, systems and weapons at that authentic area.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

As for your throttle, provide some details. It works fine afaik, and all game controllers are functionally the same on the backend. There's no reason one would work and another wouldn't unless something was corrupted or malfunctioning.

No, it's true.

I had the same problem with the F16 and a number of other aircraft. There is something funky about the throttle. I usually have clear it and remap it once when I first get a new aircraft. I'm not certain what's going on.

I usually have clear it and remap it once when I first get a new aircraft. I'm not certain what's going on.

Clearing the default mappings and axis and remapping them is a must for practically every AC. I really don't know why ED insists on providing bogus default mapping like POV and trigger on every single controller that is connected.

Danger zone!

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D pro.

The throttle slider works on F-18 fine. I tried the Hornet when it was available to try. Got Viper because I spent 10 years in USAF... it's a pride thing!

When I go to control setup, it will not recognize the slider when I move it. If I click in the box it shows ALL the other buttons in the joystick except the slider.

I been using the + and - in the num keypad and it works fine. It just feels awkward as I have to either let go of the stick to press the buttons or reach over with my left hand.

Herkyman,

What you're describing is the binding process for joystick buttons. The slider is not a button, it's an axis. I use the exact same joystick for the Viper.

BuzzU and Herkyman, moving the control doesn't work for axis commands, you have to select it from the drop down list for the device.

Choose the F-16C Controls, select the category "Axis Commands," scroll down until you see the appropriately named "Thrust/Throttle" (I'm away from my PC to find the proper terminology, use some common sense here).

Delete all bindings for all controllers for this input (leave the keyboard commands unchanged if there are any).

For the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, the slider axis is identified with SLIDER_1. Double click on the Thrust axis in the joystick column, and from the axis drop down select the correct axis ID.

Herkyman,

What you're describing is the binding process for joystick buttons. The slider is not a button, it's an axis. I use the exact same joystick for the Viper.

BuzzU and Herkyman, moving the control doesn't work for axis commands, you have to select it from the drop down list for the device.

Choose the F-16C Controls, select the category "Axis Commands," scroll down until you see the appropriately named "Thrust/Throttle" (I'm away from my PC to find the proper terminology, use some common sense here).

Delete all bindings for all controllers for this input (leave the keyboard commands unchanged if there are any).

For the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, the slider axis is identified with SLIDER_1. Double click on the Thrust axis in the joystick column, and from the axis drop down select the correct axis ID.

You got me curious. I have a 3D Pro that someone gave me a long time ago. I just plugged it in and went into axis commands. The throttle was assigned to Z axis and didn't work. I cleared it and hit the add button. I then moved the throttle slider and DCS saw it. Just like any other controller i've setup. I'm not sure why that doesn't work for you guys?

Buzz

No, it's true.

I had the same problem with the F16 and a number of other aircraft. There is something funky about the throttle. I usually have clear it and remap it once when I first get a new aircraft. I'm not certain what's going on.

This should be done for every aircraft.

The fist thing to do is go to the controls menu & map your axis commands then your buttons. Then go through & clear all the duplicate commands in the other axis eg: rudder ect.

You cant just jump into an aircraft & expect everything to be bound set up & everything to be happy This is PC simming. DCS is a complex beast & sometimes needs a bit of a tickle to calm her down.

:D

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D pro.

Might be time to invest in a new controller. It will let you get more out of DCS. if you don't want to spend to much $$$$$$ on a Warthog HOTAS & rudder pedals.

May I suggest the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS. It has good amount of buttons :thumbup::D

thrustmaster-tflight-hotas.jpg.65651a4b64ed84729f677108d7bd2c46.jpg

Herkyman,

" (I'm away from my PC to find the proper terminology, use some common sense here).

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

Sorry couldn't help myself :D:thumbup:

Edited by mrmat01