Compared to the other aircraft in DCS the F-16's RCS is relatively low:

In-game the RCS value are the following

F-16's RCS Value = 4

F/A-18C RCS Value = 5

F-14 RCS Value = 6

Mirage-2000 RCS Value = 5

F-15 RCS Value = 5

Su-27 RCS Value = 5.5

The low RCS value in the F-16 allows it to easily notch missiles: https://streamable.com/1i4vf

I can understand the Viper's RCS being lower than the F-15 and Su-27 but lower than the Mirage-2000?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

One notch below the F-15... Seems reasonable to me for a much smaller aircraft.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This was a design feature of the aircraft and other similarly small light weight fighters... small visual and radar size. It should be smaller than most modules in the game. Tiger, mirage, hornet, mig-21, al small fighters should be on the smaller side of rcs as well.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

This was a design feature of the aircraft and other similarly small light weight fighters... small visual and radar size. It should be smaller than most modules in the game. Tiger, mirage, hornet, mig-21, al small fighters should be on the smaller side of rcs as well.

I agree but that doesn't reconcile with it being lower than the Mirage. They're both relative size.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

RCS is only partially dependent on physical size. Shape and materials can have a bigger impact. A sphere has a smaller RCS than a disk with the same radius, if the surface of the disk is perpendicular to the radar source.

Then again, a static number for a RCS for a complex shape like an aircraft is a very, very, veeery much simplified model of reality. You really can't say 'this aircraft has a lower RCS that that one', because the only real answer is "it depends".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IRL the RCS difference between F-16 and big fighters like F-15, F-14 or Su-27 is even bigger. A lot bigger. And it is a factor.

F-16 due to it's small size, non-regulated air intake, blended body shape and canopy with gold particles has a lot smaller RCS than most fighters.

The RCS in the real world would change with aspect, if you were trying to notch then you are presenting a side profile to the radar source, although now better hidden in ground clutter so this would offset its RCS to a degree.

Nose on the f16 and the m2000 are probably very similar as well as side profile. Those rear fins are fairly big in size and being flat giving a good radar return.

The difference would be when one or the other rolled showing plan form, the delta design on the m2000 would have a larger cross section than the f16 because of this.

The question is does DCS account for this and do load outs effect the RCS returns? I would probably say not at this time given the arbitrary number for each airframe, which would mean that it would have no impact on plane aspect as the radar just sees a bubble of a particular size.

Probably..

Load outs don’t effect RCS in DCS. It’s one of my dreams for this sim. Most missiles seem to already have an RCS and be able to be targeted, you think it would be as simple or enough to just “add” the RCS of the missile to the air frame.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

One of the biggest contributing factors to RCS, especially head on RCS, is fan blades on N1 compressor stage of the turbine engine. This bigger the intake, the more exposure blades have to emitter , the higher the RCS. F-15, SU-27, and Mig-29 have huge raked intakes to maximize airflow from level flight to high AOA. Mig-21 has single large intake.

Compared to the other aircraft in DCS the F-16's RCS is relatively low:

In-game the RCS value are the following

F-16's RCS Value = 4

F/A-18C RCS Value = 5

F-14 RCS Value = 6

Mirage-2000 RCS Value = 5

F-15 RCS Value = 5

Su-27 RCS Value = 5.5

The low RCS value in the F-16 allows it to easily notch missiles: https://streamable.com/1i4vf

I can understand the Viper's RCS being lower than the F-15 and Su-27 but lower than the Mirage-2000?

I wonder, if DCS is simplifying the RCS of all aircraft, would the USAF F-16C block 50 circa 2007 have one of the many "HALF GLASS" paint job?

If it did have one of the many "Half Glass" paint jobs, shouldn't it lower RCS slightly?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

how does the RCS affect the ability to notch missiles? I mean the notch relies on giving back a radar signal without a doppler shift and not giving back no radar signal....Speed is therefore more important than RCS values. Less speed = bigger notch "window" (deviation from 90 deg fligthpath to missile)

I bet you can do what is shown in the video with all planes in dcs. IMO its not an issue of RCS values, its an issue with missile guidance and reaction to CM in DCS

I would hazard a guess and say those figures from DCS determine detection range more than anything else. As mentioned by others RCS has little deterministic value (in sim) when trying to notch radar emissions or when perpendicular to the radar source.

I agree but that doesn't reconcile with it being lower than the Mirage. They're both relative size.

The Mirage wing is "yuuge" relatively speaking. I assume that RCS is some sort of "average". Rather than aspect based.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The F-16's blended body and frameless canopy are probably fairly helpful in the RCS aspect. The F-16 also has some RCS reduction measures built in, at least on some versions. I'm not sure about the Mirage, but the one we have is a bit old so I'd imagine it's less likely.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files