SLI/Crossfire? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
JG27_Arklight

Default SLI/Crossfire?

Anybody here running an SLI/Crossfire configuration?

If so, are you seeing a difference over a single GPU setup? How much of difference (positive or negative)?
9900K @ 5ghz
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2
256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)
1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU
34" ASUS PG348
JG27_Arklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
DTWD

I don't think there is any difference using duel cards over a single GPU, sorry.

DTWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
qrazi

There is a difference. It will probably not be 80-100% increase in framerate, but depending on the used resolution and detail settings, SLI/CrossFire will show improved framerates.

Perhaps some people on the forum can actually support this, people who went from single card to same type SLI/CrossFire.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
JG27_Arklight

I would be interested to know if any test of this have been made at higher resolutions.

The reason I am asking is because I am building a Core i7 system and I have the option of picking up 2 GTX 260 cards and running them in SLI or a GTX 280 (or the 4870X2 from ATI) and running it alone. I will be using 1920x1200 resolution (or higher), and I would like to maintain my 4xFSAA and 16xAF level.
9900K @ 5ghz
34" ASUS PG348
Old 11-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
qrazi

I would personally opt for the 4870X2. Performance is better then GTX 260 SLI in most benchmarks, the high resolution ones anyway. Besides, it consumes less energy then two GTX 260 cards, which not only saves you on your energy bill, but also keeps your system temperature overall cooler.

Good review on Anandtech. Unfortunately most review sites don't use flightsims anymore for their benchmarks. Even SimHQ has not used them in their last review. Its understandable, because most flightsims don't use cutting edge engines, and are more cpu limited anyway, but it makes it harder to get a picture of the performance in the sims we love from all the cards out there...
Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
JG27_Arklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrazi View Post
I would personally opt for the 4870X2. Performance is better then GTX 260 SLI in most benchmarks, the high resolution ones anyway. Besides, it consumes less energy then two GTX 260 cards, which not only saves you on your energy bill, but also keeps your system temperature overall cooler.

Good review on Anandtech. Unfortunately most review sites don't use flightsims anymore for their benchmarks. Even SimHQ has not used them in their last review. Its understandable, because most flightsims don't use cutting edge engines, and are more cpu limited anyway, but it makes it harder to get a picture of the performance in the sims we love from all the cards out there...
My biggest concern with the ATI offering is what I have heard about regarding Dual GPU videocards and how at times some games just flat out do not like them. ATI drivers don't seem to be the best right now, but having been an Nvidia user for the past few years and an ATI user before that (the Radeon 9700 was solid gold), I am sort of out of the loop.

Part of me wants to stick with my 8800GTX for the time being and see what Nvidia and ATI come out with next. Blackshark seems mostly CPU limited so I'm ot sure "seriously" beefing up my videocard solution will provide that much of a bonus. On the other hand, I would like to get something new for the build I'm doing so I ca give my wife my current system (in my sig). Newegg has EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked cards on sale right now for $245 each. That is pretty darn good.
9900K @ 5ghz
34" ASUS PG348

Last edited by JG27_Arklight; 11-22-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
DTWD

In that case wait. NV has it's die shrink out soon, plus they are dying a bit of a death with the 200 series so expect something new pretty soon from them, they have too although I haven't heard of anything.

ATI seem to be stealing the lead at the moment and ED games seem to prefer ATI architecture, and on that subject ATI apparantly has something new in the works and if this is the case NV have lost this round and need to regroup.

The NV cards at the moment seem like good cards, but have a few problems, one being the price. The ATI cards have there own problems but they cost less.

The 4870x2 is a great card and is the fastest on the market at the moment (when it used to it's full potential).

I am due a new GPU and I am just waiting until the new year, new card and BS in the same few months.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
qrazi

The Radeon 4870X2 and a GTX 260 SLI setup are both dual dual GPU solutions, and therefor both are affected by dual gpu 'problems'.

nVidia is known for its good drivers, but ATi has definitely improved a lot on its driver. They have to, if they want to keep pushing dual gpu cards.

Dual gpu improves framerates a lot if the game is specifically supported in the driver. If not, it usually still improves framerates. Then there are off course certain games that give glitches with certain dual gpu setups.

There is a user on these forums somewhere who uses a 4870X2, perhaps he good give some more insight on the stability etc.

Also, I've seen more then a few users with SLI or CrossFire setups, but nobody complaining that dual gpu work like sh*t on Lockon (or BS).

So dual GPU should be definitely be a working solution for you...
Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
DTWD

Quote:
There is a difference. It will probably not be 80-100% increase in framerate, but depending on the used resolution and detail settings, SLI/CrossFire will show improved framerates.

Perhaps some people on the forum can actually support this, people who went from single card to same type SLI/CrossFire.
What your talking about is the extra oomph at resolution but I don't think they see any real advantage over current (and even last gen to a degree) GPUs in BS/FC.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
JG27_Arklight

Quote:
The Radeon 4870X2 and a GTX 260 SLI setup are both dual dual GPU solutions, and therefor both are affected by dual gpu 'problems'.

nVidia is known for its good drivers, but ATi has definitely improved a lot on its driver. They have to, if they want to keep pushing dual gpu cards.

Dual gpu improves framerates a lot if the game is specifically supported in the driver. If not, it usually still improves framerates. Then there are off course certain games that give glitches with certain dual gpu setups.

There is a user on these forums somewhere who uses a 4870X2, perhaps he good give some more insight on the stability etc.

Also, I've seen more then a few users with SLI or CrossFire setups, but nobody complaining that dual gpu work like sh*t on Lockon (or BS).

So dual GPU should be definitely be a working solution for you...
The ATI X2 has dual GPUs on each card, that is what I meat. This seems to cause quite a few issues in some cases including horrible performance on some games (they talk about it at HardOCP in the forums), that is a concern of mine. The Nvidia offering is a single GPU solution running in SLI so it does not suffer from the same issues (though it does have it's own issues they do not seem to be as prevelant as what many seem to experience with ATI's X2). I think no matter which side you choose, there are going to be issues somewhere along the line.

I can see the SLI/Crossfire solution coming into play at higher resolutions such as 1920x1200 and up (especially when you start throwing in silly levels of FSAA and AF).

One of the toughest parts about this is I can get 2x EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked cards for less than 1x X2 and only $60 more than 1x GTX 280. lol
9900K @ 5ghz
34" ASUS PG348