How to use DCS..... very confused!

Never had the urge to use stable after I switched to beta. Both versions have bugs, but beta gets the fixes earlier and the new toys.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Man I switched from the stable a long time ago and never looked back. Do yourself a favor and go beta, get the new stuff and not wait months for it. Bugs will be in all of them live with them.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Both installed in parallel.

Everything related to the squadron is exclusively Stable. On squadron night, we want to fly and train, not discover the latest bugs.

Fun flying and trying new toys, OpenBeta, with all its pros and cons.

I assume after the next merge we'll get back to a much higher rate of updates from OB to Stable, so it won't be as bad as it is now, with JF-17, Supercarrier, new TGP features for the Hornet and a whole slew of bug fixes that are exclusive to the OB right now.

Steam have six options in beta tab.

- no beta

- final-1.5.8 - Final 1.5.x version

- final-32bit-1.2.16 - The last 32-bit version

- open beta - Public beta version

- open beta-2.5.5.41962 - The last 2.5.5

- stable 1.5.6 version

What is difference between public beta and open beta-2.5.5.41962?

open beta-2.5.5.41962 was the last version of 2.5.5 (15th Jan), so works with the JF-17 and most DLC campaigns.

public beta = Open Beta (i.e. 2.5.6.49798, 27th May) and includes lighting changes, new Ka-50 cockpit, Supercarrier support, new fixes/bugs, etc.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2249076&postcount=2

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You can change from stable to open beta or back again very easily with this great utility .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

You can also download both versions if you have the storage room , and fly all your aircraft and maps in either .

(Except the ones only available in open beta)

Either of these options allow you to have the latest and greatest , and to fly stable if you have a particularly bad open beta release .

I watched that video as best I could. It didn't really explain that it actually does what you said it does. If it did, I couldn't make head from tails out of it.

Since I can't understand the instructions on the vid ...do you think the program is easy enough to figure out just by tinkering around with it?

Install the program .

Click "advanced" and point the program to your DCS and saved games\DCS folders .

Select the build , you will see a blue bar on either side when selected .

You will also see reversion and version options in the advanced menu .

It is a very powerful , easy to use and useful utility .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I wonder how you guys fly DCS... I meant... ED didn´t update the stable version for AGES!!!

Everything new goes to the Open Beta and people with the only stable version stay behind.

So... What do you fly everyday, the openbeta o the stable version?

What do you use the most?

If you can get a handle on how to keep it from crashing, and get over the various bugs and oversights that are inherent in software that is a perpetual-work-in-progress, then OpenBeta *IS* DCS World :D :joystick: :thumbup:

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Only OB for me.

Stable version is too arcade. REAL flight simulations have bugs! :thumbup:

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I have both installed, but 95% of my time is on stable. I'm fine with having less updates. I don't need to constantly be downloading files and changing things. ED has a good system as of now. Let OB sort bugs out and when a patch is finally ready it can come to stable as a large infrequent update.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Problem is that we have now lots of modules in Early Access and lots of technologies in the early phases. So the Stable version can't have all unstable features.

But, situaton changes once the modules comes out of Early Access and new features for DCS are ready, as then there is not so much reason to be in Open Beta to have access to new modules and features.

But if you want in future an Early Access module, prepare to install Open Beta.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Install the program .

Click "advanced" and point the program to your DCS and saved games\DCS folders .

Select the build , you will see a blue bar on either side when selected .

You will also see reversion and version options in the advanced menu .

It is a very powerful , easy to use and useful utility .

Thanks! .....But someone was just mentioning on another thread that the file size of this program is about 40 GB ...does that sound right? Or did I get that wrong.

Thanks! .....But someone was just mentioning on another thread that the file size of this program is about 40 GB ...does that sound right? Or did I get that wrong.

Absolutely wrong ! 6.4 MB

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just found that post you were referencing . It refers to the DCS download size , which is quite large in this open beta release prolly due to the new lighting and possibly supercarrier support . the installed size , however , is not that much bigger .

Moot point with the stable release today , but may prevent confusion in the future .

Still highly recommend the utility though....