Pal locking onto chaff?

WelshZeCorgi

It's new to me that radars in DCS can lock onto chaff. AFAIK chaff isn't lockable in DCS at all. Are you sure that's what's happening? A screenshot or a trackfile would be great to verify!

Because PAL is a pulse mode, meaning its gonna lock anything with a signature, including chaff.

If it has a signature it should appear on the radar screen...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's new to me that radars in DCS can lock onto chaff. AFAIK chaff isn't lockable in DCS at all. Are you sure that's what's happening? A screenshot or a trackfile would be great to verify!

If it has a signature it should appear on the radar screen...

Happens to me all the time. The thing is, if you start spamming the PLM button, it keeps locking the next closest chaff to the target (assuming the radar is scanning towards the motion of the target; i.e. scanning right when the target is moving right relative to you, or scanning left while the target is moving left) and if you hit it enough, it'll catch up to what you actually want to lock onto.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

Happens to me all the time. The thing is, if you start spamming the PLM button, it keeps locking the next closest chaff to the target (assuming the radar is scanning towards the motion of the target; i.e. scanning right when the target is moving right relative to you, or scanning left while the target is moving left) and if you hit it enough, it'll catch up to what you actually want to lock onto.

Interesting, I didn't know that, because I don't have a PLM button to spam in my rear part of the cockpit :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg