DCS on Linux??

DmitriKozlowsky

:(

I personally use windows only for DCS World ...

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

and with the vulkan API? Any possibilites?

They still use Microsofts C++ libraries. If they replace those with boost, Qt, etc. then it could work, but at this point, no.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 1 month later...

I am confused. How can people tell that there are not enough gamers on Linux to justify porting a game to Linux? I ask that because there are not enough games of this genre that are ported over for people to play to even give a hint as to the amount of games on Linux. You have to port the game iver to really tell how many there really are. That is about like that argument against multiple gpu's. I don't know how many times I read how not enough people have multiple gpu's to justify having a game support them. Luckily, developers have realized they can utilize hardware in users computers to blister there games hence the move to Vulkan with DCS. Hopefully, the Vulkan move will make it much easier to port to Linux. I am going to predict that if DCS makes the move to Linux, those anti Linux people are going to be surprised at how many there really are on Linux. Or how many that are holding onto Windows just because their game has not been ported to Linux yet... As for the anti multiple gpu people, I have to laugh since many of them spend $500 on HOTAS and head tracking. Lol

Edited by DrNo
Hit enter too soon.

I play to a lot of games on Linux (Xplane 11, Metro Exodus, GTA V, the Witcher 3...) but DCS is only windows for now. Hope it will change some day :)

Edited by nanucq

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS

I am confused. How can people tell that there are not enough gamers on Linux to justify porting a game to Linux? [snip]

Easy, people can tell because things like the Steam Hardware Survey exist.

It's pretty easy to look at the user count who use linux and weigh up if the sales of a linux version would recoup the money you spend on developing said linux version.

The answer is generally: no, it's not worth it.

If you're developing a new game from scratch, and you architect your code from the outset to be platform agonstic, so get a linux version for minimal effort, then it might be worth it. Unlikely though as support has a cost too.

I am sorry, but I have to laugh at the logic on this. There are more gamers that play on Windows because most games (especially AAA titles) are made for Windows Only. If the games people are playing are Windows only, then people are not even given the chance to play games in Linux for you to get a proper idea of how many Linux games there are. As for the Steam Hardware Survey, it seems that you have not boticed that Linux players have constantly been growing and would have been growing faster than Windows gamers. Because the Steam Survey shows the mass influx of Windows gamers located in the Far East such as China, it kind of obscures that fact. This was discussed in quite a few Youtube videos already.

I am sorry, but I have to laugh at the logic on this. There are more gamers that play on Windows because most games (especially AAA titles) are made for Windows

It doesn’t matter why the demographics are that way. It’s just a fact that they are.

So a DCS port to Linux would sell to less than 1% of the market. Simple. That’s not likely to be financially worthwhile.

I can’t fathom why it takes 6 pages to explain this... :doh:

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I am sorry, but I have to laugh at the logic on this. There are more gamers that play on Windows because most games (especially AAA titles) are made for Windows Only. If the games people are playing are Windows only, then people are not even given the chance to play games in Linux for you to get a proper idea of how many Linux games there are. As for the Steam Hardware Survey, it seems that you have not boticed that Linux players have constantly been growing and would have been growing faster than Windows gamers. Because the Steam Survey shows the mass influx of Windows gamers located in the Far East such as China, it kind of obscures that fact. This was discussed in quite a few Youtube videos already.

It doesn’t matter why the demographics are that way. It’s just a fact that they are.

So a DCS port to Linux would sell to less than 1% of the market. Simple. That’s not likely to be financially worthwhile.

I can’t fathom why it takes 6 pages to explain this... :doh:

Exactly what SharpeXB said.

Unless you have deep pockets and can take the risk, it just isn't worth it financially.

Don't forget that flight sims are a niche market anyway, which makes it even harder.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see DCS on linux, but I'm realist, it won't happen. Probably can't happen without ED rebuilding the engine too.

DCS on Linux??

Obviously Intel X86 and AMD only.

DirectX11/12 on Linux. DCS with OpenGL4.5

Come on... Now that too! As ED had not enough to do.....

Stick with windows, wich is running very well, or leave DCS!

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 1 month later...

If they could project the cost of having a dev work on building it natively for Linux and run a Kickstarter I'd contribute to that.

That way they wouldn't have to put any money toward it unless it already paid for itself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

T.Flight HOTAS | Custom DIY Cyclic and Collective | AMD FX8350 | 16GB RAM | 4TB HDD | 2x 128 GB SSD | NVidia 1080

Sadly, I agree with responders. I thought I'd ask. No harm in that. DCS is getting pretty large as far as data sets. Though my so-called career is in 3D CGI (for non-real time), I do not consider myself expert on pro and cons of DX12 or OpenGL, except that OGL is designed for large datasets and large tex maps.

I would definitely be against WINE port, I see how AdobeCS runs on WINE.

But something else is happening in software licencing. Running straight in WebGL. Example is SculptGL, an open source 3D sculpting, that runs inside Chrome or WebGL compatible browser. There is no need to install it. Works same on Win10, MacOS, and Linux distos. Perhaps that is the future of all applications. Everything is in the cloud. But that would require 5G broadband or faster.

No, look at X-Plane. Always ran on OpenGL (to be able to support Linux/MacOS) and performance has been abysmal, ran out of memory etc. Now they're moving to Vulkan but my impression is the code is so borked in OGL that the perf improvement in Vulkan is suffering from that anyway (e.g. the sim, non graphics code still needs to be heavily refactored). So, no. I'd rather see a good DX12 version of DCS.

No, he made clear false claim that Linux is 1% market share on operating systems, while it couldn't be further from the truth. He didn't define that he meant only GAMERS ON DESKTOP combined. As this "demographic" includes everyone using Linux anyways.

But look my point #3.

Oh jesus. you need best quality bait, m8.

Been a Linux admin since the 1990s - really couldn't give a rat's whether DCS was ported to Linux.

Windows 10 works well enough once you rip out / block the spyware portion. That plus the benefits of having the gaming rig totally separate from the systems that do actual work is nice.

If there was to be some Linux in DCS's future let it be a Docker container for the multi-player server setups (.NET Core potentially an easy port?).

I have a VM running Windows on one of my bigger DMZ hosts now and it bugs me that it is a full VM and not a simple container. Such a waste of resources.

Anwyay, for the front end the existing Windows stuff is plenty fine.

$0.02

X-Plane was originally written as Macintosh System first (as in the vintage operating system coded in Pascal) with Windows as an afterthought later on and Linux as low-hanging fruit once MacOS X became UNIX. These days, with Vulkan as the target, I'm assuming macOS and it's Metal-only graphics stack has become the second-class citizen.

Either way, the biggest single issue with a Linux port is support. One mid-level indie game company, I don't feel like looking up who, recently dropped Linux support because the Linux bug queue was so much longer than the Windows and macOS support queue, with such a tiny fraction of users, that dropping Linux support made more financial sense.

It was squarely on the fact desktop Linux has less than zero standardization. It's easy to say "If it runs Steam, it can run this game" but the reality is far from that and the fact is if there's 100 Linux distros then there's 500 different versions of desktop Linux "in the wild" given different releases of a core distro and it's impossible to support all the weirdness that even one distro might exhibit over time, much less all of them.

What desktop server should DCS use? The decades old XOrg that has a decrepit feature set, but no one can seem to stop using because it Just Works... kinda...? Weyland, that despite years of development is still barely past alpha in usefulness? Oh, right, nVidia graphics don't work with it. How about the one Ubuntu tinkered with for years and stopped supporting?

What desktop toolset? Qt? GTK+? Which version of each? What if they roll their own? What if they choose to use one that might spotty support from a single developer, despite useful features? More than a few popular FOSS projects ended when their developer got a full-time job. Or a girlfriend. Or bored. (One tabletop RPG utility I like died last December for that reason.) Just because you can read the code doesn't mean you know what it does.

What about sound? I swear for a while Linux distros change sound servers more often than I change my underwear.

What about network stack? What about network security?

Jeeze, what version of libstdc do you support? That single question can end a program's compatibility dead in one mismatched library.

Needless to say, it's easier and cheaper to say "We support Windows" and hit 99% of the desktop gaming audience with next to no additional support needed.

Edited by panton41

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I'd say it doesn't make financial sense for the game to run on linux as there are just too few users.

What does make a lot of sense is a linux dedicated server.

A significant proportion of the expense of a DCS server is windows licensing (for our server anyway), and it constantly wants to be updated.

A linux server would be lower cost, more reliable, and there are more hosting options available.

I doubt ED staff are still reading this thread, but I hope they eventually consider the idea.

That is simply not true... You reading the stats wrong...

No it’s clear in the Steam Hardware Survey. That’s the most relevant data for the demographic that DCS is selling to.

What stats are you referring to?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

No it’s clear in the Steam Hardware Survey. That’s the most relevant data for the demographic that DCS is selling to.

What stats are you referring to?

Well, in disclaimer is that to get into the pool you must be steam game thru native linux client and native linux game... So basically it throws away anybody who does wine or proton etc... Which is quite a lot... Every other publicly available statistic shows that around 20% gamers use linux theese days. Please see for example statistics from gog.com etc.

Well, in disclaimer is that to get into the pool you must be steam game thru native linux client and native linux game... So basically it throws away anybody who does wine or proton etc... Which is quite a lot... Every other publicly available statistic shows that around 20% gamers use linux theese days. Please see for example statistics from gog.com etc.

I’m gonna doubt 20%

and even 20% probably isn’t high enough to make it feasible.

Is anyone here running X Plane 11 on Winblow's, and also it's Linux version? Have you performed any side-to-side comparison?

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

• 1 month later...