DCS on Linux??

DmitriKozlowsky

Many, and it's not hard to investigate - as an example Assetto Corsa, which also doesn't have a linux client. The hard part is usually dealing with graphics & audio, dedicated servers are generally much simpler.

20 servers? have you even looked at the browse list? and that's just the public ones.

And how many of those other titles are niche games running a custom engine like this one? If having this Linux version was beneficial ED would have done it already. I think there are many other higher priority items than this.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Why a server? Again the people who buy this game don’t use Linux.

Linux servers are better performance wise. Especially for the big MP ones. If you want to run a small personal machine in your basement for you and 3 friends thats one thing. But from what I can tell the big MP servers are actually rented rack space and you need some serious HP and network speed to run them right.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Linux servers are better performance wise. Especially for the big MP ones. If you want to run a small personal machine in your basement for you and 3 friends thats one thing. But from what I can tell the big MP servers are actually rented rack space and you need some serious HP and network speed to run them right.

So you still have to pay to rent the server. How much addition cost is Windows?

The problem is that ED already supports two versions of the game.

Open Beta and Stable. So with a Linux server version does that become 4?

And the online population of this game is not big at all. All that considered this doesn’t seem like a very feasible suggestion.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Wrong. Especially since you mentioned the word “server.”

And the online population of this game is not big at all.

No. They're currently supporting one version of the game: Windows. They distribute different snapshots of that version. With a Linux server version, that would be become roughly 1.5 versions.

The online population of this game is big enough that they're willing to implement, support, and maintain a headless mode — one that doesn't gel well with how windows works and is used. They've already cut out the part that would be annoying to migrate to a different OS.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

So you still have to pay to rent the server. How much addition cost is Windows?

And the online population of this game is not big at all. All that considered this doesn’t seem like a very feasible suggestion.

Well according to the other guy 60 euros a month on top of renting the server space. I mean its not a fortune but thats 720 euro's a year (~800 USD). So... Thats not insubstantial either.

I'm not sure on the ins-outs of the dedicated server, but its a separate entity anyway, and while a linux version might be a bit more work its Very common to have server back-ends for most games to be on linux for a million reasons, improved performance and stability key among them. And it may be as simple as a recompile for linux so not too much more work.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Because 99.9999% (low estimate) of all servers run on Linux. It is super easy to rent a Linux server. I myself run multiple Linux servers. Some of them even host games. I now a ton of people who do the same. I know only one person who has to run a Windows server. He is not happy about it.

Best

Mathias

My System: Intel Core i7-4770K, Asus ROG Strix RX480 O8G, 24GB Ram

I'm not sure on the ins-outs of the dedicated server, but its a separate entity anyway, and while a linux version might be a bit more work its Very common to have server back-ends for most games to be on linux for a million reasons, improved performance and stability key among them. And it may be as simple as a recompile for linux so not too much more work.

Fair enough. What about all the 3rd party modules?

Fair enough. What about all the 3rd party modules?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The server runs ALL planes, ED or 3rd party.

I'm not sure I understand the question. The server runs ALL planes, ED or 3rd party.

Just curious if that’s a factor. If this Linux Business was so easy and such a good idea they’d have done it by now.

My guess is they have their hands full with higher proprieties.

IMO I’m pretty much against any suggestion that doesn't involve finishing the Hornet.

How does this suggestion contribute to finishing the Hornet? :smilewink:

And if we're talking about mods, those are mainly a bunch of Lua scripts being run by the server's interpreter and are wholly platform agnostic. The only exceptions are auxiliary servers (eg. tacview realtime) which obviously by very definition are their own thing.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Just curious if that’s a factor. If this Linux Business was so easy and such a good idea they’d have done it by now.

My guess is they have their hands full with higher proprieties.

IMO I’m pretty much against any suggestion that doesn't involve finishing the Hornet.

How does this suggestion contribute to finishing the Hornet? :smilewink:

It doesnt. And for ED they probably think MP community is probably small enough to mostly ignore, mostly based on the numbers. Though at the same time i think their sales would tank without it.

One of the better internet stats sites shows Windows currently having 87% Desktop and Laptop market share with Linux at 2% - might give an idea of what is actually being looked at.

:thumbup:

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share

We shouldn’t be looking at the general market, but at gamers specifically. That’s why the Steam survey is more relevant. Regardless at 2% or .83% it’s doubtful that this is a worthwhile segment for ED to be pursuing.

We shouldn’t be looking at the general market, but at gamers specifically. That’s why the Steam survey is more relevant. Regardless at 2% or .83% it’s doubtful that this is a worthwhile segment for ED to be pursuing.

I have never used Steam and the only games I have are flight related - you think the required target demographic are general gamers and less so Aviation enthusiasts?

I have never used Steam and the only games I have are flight related - you think the required target demographic are general gamers and less so Aviation enthusiasts?

Steam is a very large marketplace so it’s statistics are certainly relevant. Flight sim players are probably even more likely to be using Windows because afaik the only major flight sim that supports Linux is X-Plane. There are some Linux titles but they look like a total joke. And among combat flight simulators there are only two major products currently supported and both are only on Windows.

Regardless you’re looking at a difference of 2% general market and .83% gamer market.

PS maybe you didn’t see the news recently but everybody who’s into flight sims is going to go with Windows in 2020...

Edited by SharpeXB

I don't own any version of MSFS, so count me as a statistic in the "won't be" column. That said I use Windows for gaming just because there's no sensible alternative - you can run a windows VM on a unix desktop with full 3D at only a very slight performance decrease ( a few % ) these days, so that's the best of both worlds.

Servers are vastly less work than game clients - part of the problem with DCS is there hasn't really been a seperate server ( in fact the current dedicated server still doesn't appear to be a seperate piece of software ), just the client run in a mode that turns features off. A dedicated server would involve branching the code *somewhat*, but it'd be mostly removing unused sections of code entirely, and it's quite probable what's left would be fairly OS-agnostic. I could suggest the team working on that could look at Combined Arms & AI in general too, because that'd be a fairly big part of what's left...

Last thing to point out is there's a number of games which run in client-server fashion even in single player single desktop form. I run DCS like that myself because it means all the AI can run on a different CPU core - it costs 3GB more memory but it's improved performance considerably.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Servers are vastly less work than game clients -

The problem in DCS is that there are two game versions with servers, Open Beta and Stable.

So that’s added extra work to create a separate server version and double that for the two game versions. When you say “vastly less work” it’s still work that has to be done. This doesn’t seem to be a very efficient thing for them to do and they already have many higher priority items IMO

It is not just about the players, it is as well the different game businesses that could benefit from Linux support. Like now when we got the DCS World Server that can be headless (not requiring 3D card), the requirements for the server got smaller. And one can far more easily build a Linux system to run just the DCS, than they can with Windows.

But this is all about ED that knows that how possible it would be to do a such a port, and then maintain a such port. If it would be well done in design, then it wouldn't be a big problem at all. But, if it is even questionable could it be done, then better forget the whole idea.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 4 weeks later...
Since Windows 7 is nearing an end, I wanted to give DCS under Linux a try again.

I actually got it to start using Steam (I'm not using the stand-alone version), proton, protontricks and winetricks.

He're is what I did:

1. Install DCS using steam (obviously), first without any DLCs (to exclude activation problems)

2. Add vcrun2015 and corefonts:

protontricks 223750 vcrun2015
protontricks 223750 corefonts

3. Run it, it starts up in windowed mode.

No it's far from running perfectly, but at least it started. That's progression, I'd say. :)

There are rendering issues. MXAA doesn't work (gives you weird coloring) and even without, it looks very strange.

Performance was horrible, but I think it would be better if using DXVK.

After that, I added the Huey DLC to see if activation also works and indeed it does.

So there is hope for us Linux users that at some point it'll actually work. :thumbup:

(Obviously a proper port would be even better, but that'd be a long way to go. A very very long way.)

Edit: I tried with an updated version of radv and now DXVK/radv works. Visual glitches are gone as well.

Performance in high profile is ok, 35-40 fps with my RX Vega 64, but a bit worse than on Windows 7.

Arount 60 fps in Medium profile.

Joysticks work as well.

So … good progress. :)

${1}

Others info:

https://lutris.net/games/dcs-world/

https://www.protondb.com/app/223750

I am considering moving to Linux and would like to know more about the compatibility of dcs world on linux. Do you have any other info?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

• 2 weeks later...

:megalol:

Best trolling in ages. Love it!

Joking aside: id absolutely buy again any module i own if DCS was running on Linux, even at twice the price. Every other game i play already runs on Linux or is close to.

Windows (10) is just pure cancer, filled with forced bloatware and advertisments and with installing you agree that cortana and other forced components can monitor your mic and files 24/7 and send copies of everything to MS servers without further notice.

DCS really is the only thing that keeps me from wiping that MS bugging device from my SSD.

Maybe Steam, as much as i dislike it, can solve this in the future via Proton.

Edited by Kailux

Gone for good.

id absolutely buy again any module i own if DCS was running on Linux, even at twice the price.

You’ll never see ED make modules for Linux when less than 2% of this market uses it.

and with the vulkan API? Any possibilites?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

and with the vulkan API? Any possibilites?

Why would that make any difference? There’s still only .67% of this market using Linux.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey