How best to support DCS

AH_Solid_Snake

I am a huge supporter of DCS and would like very much for the product to continue and thrive, both alongside and competing with the likes of MSFS202 or BMS.

I have purchased a variety of modules starting right at the beginning with black shark and the A10, but most recently the F-14 which has always been the favourite.

My difficulty now is how to contribute to the ongoing development of DCS when none of the modules are of interest. This is not to say that unannounced future modules won’t change that. But for now with no interest in the F16 the only module I am anticipating is the F8 Crusader which is a long ways off.

In the meantime how can I support DCS? I would argue that an optional patreon-esque model would work for me - I would be happy spending £50 a year to subscribe to the sim and feel that my money would go straight to the core development team of the product I spend many hours per week playing.

I realise that I could just arbitrarily buy all ED modules whether they interest me or not but the capitalist in me says vote with my wallet to allow ED to accurately measure what airplane or terrain their customers want to drive selection of future modules.

What is the community feeling on this? Is there an alternative I haven’t considered?

It’s a possibility, however then you run into the people who will do this, then kick and scream when a module that they know is coming - keeps getting put back in favour of other modules. Myself, I have been patiently treading water for several years now waiting for the F-4, but it keeps getting put on the back burner. It may even be around 5 more years before it surfaces, who knows?.

Personally I think that a subscription type affair would cause more problems than it rectifies.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I don't think the OP ment a subscription model. Actually, he quite clearly states so. And I agree with him. I'm getting to the point that I can't purchase any more modules, Christian Eagle will forever not be in my hangar, especially after the free Edge one.

A patreon/donate option might be a solution, but only if one could be sure the donation would lead to better development or choose or vote were to "go next". My opinion anyway.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yes I wasn't explicitly saying the game should go subscription - I was just trying to think of ways to support the game other than buying modules that I'm not interested in.

To be clear without listing them all out I have bought more than 10 modules from ED over the years, and have enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. I'm not boycotting the F-16 out of a problem with EA airplanes or suchlike - its simply not an airframe that interests me.

I'm sure everyone could come up with a list of yearly module releases that would keep them individually happy, some might even overlap. I would also jump all over an F-4, navy or air force.

My patreon idea was just to give those of us that aren't that interested in a currently announced module to still contribute towards features that benefit all of us.

If ED never released another aircraft I'd be happy flying the F-14 till doomsday, but I'd still like to support features that benefit me, like Supercarrier, or core engine, or maps, you name it.

Maybe something more like a Kickstarter process could help inform ED (or other interested parties) what modules would prove popular and drive sales?

Then again perhaps something that would benefit all of us is a study-level modern competitive red air jet - its another thing that under the current model I probably wouldn't purchase for myself, but would be happy to contribute toward under some kind of patreon scheme for the general benefit of the sim.

I just wanted to see other opinions ideas and to see if we could get some healthy debate going.

Some ideas, other than spending money buying more content:

1) More user made content. Missions, skins, whatever your skills may be.

2) Guides, reviews and demonstration text and videos.

3) Evangelism to potential new customers. Positive talk, demonstration in blogs, videos etc.

4) Positive forum activity. Sims are notoriously toxic places as there can be a divide between casual and serious simmers. Particularly when some think any time spent by the developers is wasted on the other, or the game was intended more for one than the other. So forum peace making and quality positive discussion is of value. Also answering noob questions without bad attitude.

I would recommend the 18 over the 16 right now for sure.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

In the meantime how can I support DCS? I would argue that an optional patreon-esque model would work for me - I would be happy spending £50 a year to subscribe to the sim and feel that my money would go straight to the core development team of the product I spend many hours per week playing.

You can participate to community by either directly or indirectly.

Directly, you could join doing various community challenges, competitions, own youtube contents or other flight squadron things (doesn't mean you need to be doing all that alone, but be part of something) where you will gift a various keys for the winners.

Indirectly, search various content creators who are less known (not independent so well) that meet in your opinion the level that good presentation of the DCS, and then gift them a module licenses so they can organize a give-away for their audience and followers.

So target to producers who have means to help you to gain support for DCS.

Like example, contact some non-DCS content creators for a such thing, be it example in the twit.tv podcast "Game On!" or even just some sites that has not so much interest to combat directly, but could be interested if you gift them a L-39, C-101 or Yak-52 for a testing purposes on the Caucasus. There are various sites and such that are promoted by "World of Tanks" who still do lot of serious stuff about real aircrafts etc.

So you can support lots of such by making a good guide how to install DCS World, get the TF-51 (how to purchase an activation key for a modules) and then how to get basics going. And then send those for various promoters if they are interested the keys to be gifted.

You would of course see lots of "Give it to mee!" people who already are for DCS or are enthusiast but doesn't have so serious than "I want to try!", but I see it is better for the overall thing to try get people who would be interested but doesn't yet know about DCS World and still has the skills as the means to fly it.

If all goes just to inside of the community itself, you are not helping so much to "spread the word" and help ED etc, you are just helping individuals. So you would really need to get the word out more out there.

You could even question if some good content creators like RedKite would partner with you, where they make the simple tutorial, you gift the keys. And you approach together then the various other medias with it. Redkite gets credits for the presentation and mentions for his channel, and you get credits and honors for gifting the keys for the purpose.

(And why I say RedKite, is that he is one of the best, if not the best tutorial maker after Wags videos).

Like example Fighter Pilot Podcast is promoted by Thrustmaster. You can as well contact other manufacturers like VKB and Virpil to gift them the licenses for them to organize some special thing that buyer of the Joystick receives a license as well with the cheaper joystick purchases etc.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am a huge supporter of DCS and would like very much for the product to continue and thrive, both alongside and competing with the likes of MSFS202 or BMS.

My difficulty now is how to contribute to the ongoing development of DCS when none of the modules are of interest. This is not to say that unannounced future modules won’t change that. But for now with no interest in the F16 the only module I am anticipating is the F8 Crusader which is a long ways off.

In the meantime how can I support DCS?

Support doesn't need to be financial (ED isn't a charity/good cause) and I'd argue that by buying modules that don't interest you or are of poor quality, you'd be doing more harm than good.

Continue playing DCS, help/encourage new players, be open about DCS's positives and negatives (to set realistic expectations), give ED feedback on bugs and which modules you'd be excited to see in the future, etc.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Lots of fair advice so far - I’m not really a content creator type, but I have encouraged several friends to dip their toe and try DCS with mostly positive responses. Lots of people with not much sim experience can still get a lot of fun jumping into the F-18.

It just seemed odd to me considering how many hours I’ve had out of DCS since my last full module - I’ve never played a free to play game that didn’t have some form of freemium tier.

I have purchased a variety of modules starting right at the beginning with black shark and the A10, but most recently the F-14 which has always been the favourite.

I realise that I could just arbitrarily buy all ED modules whether they interest me or not but the capitalist in me says vote with my wallet to allow ED to accurately measure what airplane or terrain their customers want to drive selection of future modules.

What is the community feeling on this? Is there an alternative I haven’t considered?

It really simple, buy more copies of modules, even if you already own them, then give them away to poorer people who cannot afford them

That way you are helping out DCS/ED and helping people less well off than you clearly are, it is a WIN WIN! for all involved

Qeo7hBD.jpg

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I sense that ED is increasingly giving more and more importance to user feedback to steer their decission making, which is nice. Given that approach, i really think they should send a poll (simple one) when you buy a module to describe your motivation for it, that way they will have data to understand what the community actually thinks when buying something, it could be:

-I really like the module

-I just want to support you but dont do this shit again or I quit :p

-More options

by buying me a av-8 or f-5 :thumbup:

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Building missions, campaigns, skins, etc is probably one of the best ways that you can support ED. Those things can drive up interest in a given module. Putting up videos on Youtube might also help increase interest and exposure. Kickstarter would probably not be a very good idea, because that can create situations where ED would feel that they have to complete a project because it has a certain number of donors, even though doing so would mean putting more resources into it than would be justified solely by expected sales. It also would create a rather warped sense of customer interest and push ED towards products that might be highlu desired by a small number of customers over ones that might hace a much broader but less dedicated fan base.

Find and report bugs in OB. That would be my advice.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 3 weeks later...

by buying me a av-8 or f-5 :thumbup:

Me too, I'm missing all the warbirds except the P-51; MiG-19 and the F-16. And upcoming Syria map and the Hind are welcome too. My wallet thanks you and you keep contributing to DCS. :D

That is enough, isn't it? You don't have to donate money. Just buy what you like, and buy some modules for friends if they're on the fence if you really want to support the sim.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

When ever we have friends over for drinks, and even during parties, I seem to always end up putting people in the pit in VR. They are stunned by DCS in VR, and quite a few of them started flying with budget systems and are slowly improving there hardware. They are also usually surprised how reasonable the cost is for just a Warthog, decent pedal set-up, and a Rift S.

I find it an enjoyable way to support Eagle Dynamics, and our hobby in general, by expanding the community. Surprisingly there is never a funny look about the whole thing, always just interest, and then, awe, when they first get in VR.

The wives are the funniest, as they usually want to try after a few drinks, and they still do better than their husbands. I think it's because they pay more attention when I am showing them on a small model airplane what the controls do and how it makes the plane move.

Just another thought,

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Find and report bugs in OB. That would be my advice.

Nah, it's a thankless job, often more frustrating than it's worth.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I as many of the DCS veterans have supported ED and paid their wages for years , even purchasing modules I've never used.

In the current state customers are pretty upset due to very poor optimized performance and the lack of many many things we'asked for decades.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Nah, it's a thankless job, often more frustrating than it's worth.

That's also why it shows your support though. If it was super easy to do, the devs wouldn't need our help.

As for if it's worth it or not, it's a mixed bag. I've seen several bugs I've reported on the F-18 eventually get fixed and I was happy for it. I also know that I've opened bug threads that haven't gotten an answer or are left to [CHECKING] for months with no update. Like I said, mixed bag. But it helps the devs and it takes nothing more than time out of your day.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro