• Create mission (Caucasus, Modern)
  • Place F/A-18C (Player, Hot hot on ramp
  • Place SA-15 next to F/A-18C with LATE ACTIVATION ticked
  • Launch mission
  • Display SA Page

Track

test-fa18-lateactivation.trk

Edited by Dunx
Removed issue with Object.destroy(), SA page correct if A/C switched, not if restarted/repaired

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

You have to check "hidden on planner" to do that.. I don't know if it's intended behaviour, but it would be partially wrong in both cases: if you late-activate a sam site and late-activation makes it not visible from the start does it mean that it will "pop-up" in the sa page mid-mission?

A solution would be to chain late activation and hidden on planner checkboxes.

Hornet's sa page displays "pre-known" sam threaths positions, doesn't matter if the threath moves or it's not there anymore (or yet ahahah)

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried your workaround, HIDDEN ON PLANNER + LATE ACTIVATION, however the exclusion zone is still displayed on the SA page at mission start.

This bug appears to be specific to the F/A-18C. Late activated SAMs do not appear on the F-16 or AV-8B situational pages.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

How is that not a bug. If it’s late activation, it’s not there. It could be ‘in transport’ to the location so you can’t say it’s a preloaded Threat ring. It’s not there.

It shouldn’t be there until it is spawned in. 5 mins, 12 hours or never. Or, at the very least, it should then never be on the SA because it couldn’t be preloaded because it wasn’t there to begin with.

• 9 months later...

Jeez glad I found this post - I have the same issue. Late Activation set on 3x Sam Sites and they get activated after a 30min flight and you go through a trigger zone. BUT on the ground you can see all the Sam site threat rings on your Viper SA page....

On 6/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, VFA41_Lion said:

did you try using HIDDEN ON MAP, as I suggested? Because that blocks it from showing up in SA. Not HIDDEN ON PLANNER.

This does work but when it activates you want it to appear in the SA, you dont want it appearing before.

This does work but when it activates you want it to appear in the SA, you dont want it appearing before.
You don't want it appearing at all. The SA page threat rings are not dynamic. Think of them as marks on the map, for SAM sites that you already have intel on, before the mission.

Either you have intel on a SAM site there and you have a ring, no matter what that SAM is doing at the moment (maybe it's not there anymore, maybe it's inactive, waiting to ambush with its radar off etc, you don't know) or you don't know there's a SAM site there (HIDDEN ON MAP), so whether the SAM is active now or comes online later, it doesn't matter, you didn't know about its location or existence before you started the mission.

And there's no way to update the SA page by adding or removing threat rings, while in the air. Best you can do is use one of the MREJ profiles.
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Another technique one could perform is to set the mission up to simulate ambiguous intel. If you know that there's a unit located somewhere in an area, but not its exact location, you could use a visible, late activation unit that never activates to create the threat ring in the desired, ambiguous location, while the actual unit remains hidden.

• Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

25 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Another technique one could perform is to set the mission up to simulate ambiguous intel. If you know that there's a unit located somewhere in an area, but not its exact location, you could use a visible, late activation unit that never activates to create the threat ring in the desired, ambiguous location, while the actual unit remains hidden.

Now that idea deserves a pint. 🍺 Great idea, thanks.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tholozor said:

nice

im gonna use this

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Yup, as both Harker and Tholozor have said, this is actually completely realistic and even desirable behavior. 

The Hornet's SA Page and Viper's HSD Page will not update mid-flight. They can't, threat rings are programmed into them on the ground and that's what they display for the whole flight. 

Late Activation in DCS is a tool used to control AI behavior and mission resource utilization. You should use this option if you only want the unit to become loaded into the game partway through the mission, or potentially not at all based on random events or the player's actions. A late activated unit could represent a known SAM site that simply won't engage any enemy units unless certain conditions are met, in which case it should be visible on navigation displays. Or it may represent an unknown threat that pops up as a surprise during the mission, in which case it should never appear on the navigation displays. Using the Mission Editor's Hidden options is how you accomplish this. 

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried your workaround, HIDDEN ON PLANNER + LATE ACTIVATION, however the exclusion zone is still displayed on the SA page at mission start.

This bug appears to be specific to the F/A-18C. Late activated SAMs do not appear on the F-16 or AV-8B situational pages.
AV8B does not have a situational awareness page, nor data link.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk