For Those With Stutter-While-Flying: Check this out!

2x means your graphics card renders twice the number of pixels as your screen. So, if you have a 1920x1080 screen, the correct DSR resolution is 2715x1527.

If you set it to 4x, it'll be 3840x2160.

Thanks a lot ... tried 4x today, and it really works ... in fact, it worked so well that I upped a bit my graphics options, to this:

z1wwYWC.jpg

and then went to the most demanding section of the PG Map, with my middle-of-the-pack GTX970 ... the fps dont seem high, but for this image quality, smoothnes and section of the Map, they most definitely are good fps, totally playable thanks to the extra smoothnes of DSR vs AA:

3-_rHDg8Dm4

The screenshots that DCS produces now are at 4K resolution :) ... big, but downsampled to FHD they look gorgeous. I had to re-configure Shadow Play or the video would have been captured in 4K resolution too :)

Thanks a lot again ... and let mi say that, at least for me, this thread earns top place as "most useful thread of the year" :D

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Greetings everyone,

I sorted this out while messing around for ages with my new graphics card, seems to help a *lot*, and hope it helps you.

The stutter I'm talking about is the kind you get when just flying around--the sim seems to move in a series of small jumps, instead of zipping along smoothly. I have an Nvidia graphics card, but maybe this will help for AMD ones as well. So, here goes:

1) Disable ALL normal anti-aliasing in the sim and in Nvidia Control Panel. That includes in-sim MSAA and SSAA, and all similar features in NVCP. So, no AA anywhere at all. We'll deal with the aliasing problem later.

2)Don't clamp the framerate, for example, with Rivatuner, or anything else. Let your vid card render un-constrained--this also means don't use an autoexec.cfg file (or graphics.lua) maxfps line to limit FPS.

3)Use the VSync feature IN SIM. Don't use anything else.

4)Finally, since you'll have aliasing, with all AA turned off, go to NVCP and enable Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR). I have a 2560x1440 screen, so I set my DSR Factor to 2.25x so the vid card renders the frames as if they were 4K (3840x2160) and this is the new resolution you set DCS World to in system options. Then you have the Smoothing slider to adjust-out the jaggies.

And there you have it! The sim now just flies along smoothly without jumping and stuttering, and gets really nice framerates :) DCS World's built-in AA features are framerate killers (SSAA) and they also cause stuttering (MSAA); just use DSR and you're good to go!

If you don't know what DSR is and/or how the heck you use it, it allows your graphics card to render each frame at a higher resolution than your screen, then down-scales it when it sends it to your screen. It preserves high detail and looks better than MSAA, and the Nvidia driver does a really nice job of it. For example, if you set DSR Factor to 2x, it will render twice as many pixels as your screen (if you have a 1080p screen, it will render as 4K, then scale down to send it to your screen). The DSR-Smoothness slider is now your antialiasing control :)

Just remember to go into the Options, System menu, and choose the new, higher resolution in DCS World. You may have to hit Alt-Enter to fit the new image to your screen.

And there you go!

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Hi...thanks for this i will try when i will be back home next week.

But if my mat is correct for a 2560x1440 screen like mine (and yours ) the dsr factor should be 1.5 for it to render in 4k...am i correct or i am mistaken?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I tried this but I’m not sure I did it correctly...I have a 1920x1080 screen 144hz Asus monitor but I wasn’t too sure what to set it to. I still think that SSAA on 2 and MSAA on 2 and locked at 60 frames gives me the best results. It’s glass smooth and I can’t see how it can get better than that.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Yeah , i wonder how much of the benefit is due to locking vsync rather than the whole DSR thing . I've been running super-smooth since setting up for vsync some months ago .Gonna run some tests next week & see if DSR lowers GPU Usage .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

WOW! What a difference! It even smoothed out my TIR. None of the continuous little pauses as I scan the environment around me.

Awesome man, so glad it helped you! Remember:

1) No framerate clamping with autoexec.cfg/maxfps, Rivatuner, or anything else

2)In-sim VSync only

3)No in-game MSAA (SSAA is good, but you need a "meaty" graphics card)

...and you're good to rock 'n' roll :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Not to take anything away from this method as I’m sure it works but I’m noticing a lot of people on here with high end PC’s like mine, 8700k, 1080ti etc etc and they’re still struggling whereas I’m not. I have a 144hz monitor but I run it at 120hz. Lock the frames in Inspector at 60, choose half refresh rate and that’s it, ultra smooth, doesn’t move from 60. I’m running SSAA on full and MSAA on 2x rather than 4x as that dips the frames to 55 ish over big forests etc.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I tried this out but then could not click anything in the Hornet cockpit...

Press Alt+Enter and it should be ok.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Well , it's not for me :cry: I tried DSR at 2x , slider at 0 , 33 and 100 , and saw a heckuva lot more flickering/shimmering , which i absolutely abhor . Returned to my previous settings of 1.5 SSAA and 2X MSAA and i have-again-almost no shimmering . Unable to test GPU load as Afterburner would not render in DCS with DSR on .

Probably less because judging by the shimmer DSR wasn't doing anything . I think the benefits people are seeing are due to locking Vsync .

All this should not be construed as failing to thank Donkey for his input . I'm always grateful for another's suggestions to potentially improve my DCS experience , and as always , YMMV .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

There are settings in the Nvidia control panel "DSR factors" and "DSR smoothing". Make sure that DSR factors are all enabled and smoothing is a good value (you can only find by trying I personally use 21%).

tbh I tried DSR with a couple of games that have no good Aliasing and have completely stopped using it. DSR makes text very difficult to read (in most resolutions), it can interfere with mouse positioning and user interfaces, incurs a heavy fps penalty by itself (high resolutions) and lastly, it doesn't look good. The image just gets blurry and actually eye straining.

Imo brute force gimmicks like DSR and Reshade are dead ends. You dont just want to blur the image. (if it was for that NVIDIA could just offer a Gauss filter for very little fps cost).

Depending on your system I recommend medium to high settings, MSAA to OFF, SSAA to 2x and leave the image quality to ED.

Edited by Burning Bridges

Probably less because judging by the shimmer DSR wasn't doing anything .

It does something. renders the image at a higher resolution than your screen and then shrinks it while applying a smoothing filter. But this is no anti-aliasing, rather just "housewife anti-aliasing". You're losing a lot of detail that for example SSAA preserves.

Definitely going to play around with this. I'd tried the SSAA in game as well to find it to work pretty smoothly, but this seems like a better option.

The built-in SSAA looks really good, but DSR gives you lots more options and also allows better performance.

I still wish DSR worked with the Ka-50 cockpit. I tried it, and it causes problems with click location--the graphics scale, but the click map does not, so you can't click the cockpit buttons and switches.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

It does something. renders the image at a higher resolution than your screen and then shrinks it while applying a smoothing filter. But this is no anti-aliasing, rather just "housewife anti-aliasing". You're losing a lot of detail that for example SSAA preserves.

I claim no expertise on the matter , but i would have expected some change in shimmer with the various slider settings , and observed none , thus my statement . In any event , I won't be using DSR , but would not presume to dissuade its use by others with , perhaps , differing priorities-and certainly different systems .

Edited by Svsmokey

I tried this but I’m not sure I did it correctly...I have a 1920x1080 screen 144hz Asus monitor but I wasn’t too sure what to set it to. I still think that SSAA on 2 and MSAA on 2 and locked at 60 frames gives me the best results. It’s glass smooth and I can’t see how it can get better than that.

If you're using SSAA x2, there's no reason for you to also use MSAA x2 (or anything). It'll reduce framerates and probably cause stuttering, but if you're happy with what you get, it's cool.

That's one of the nice things about DSR, is you can use the Smoothing function and it doesn't reduce framerates, unlike MSAA, which sucks :)

AD

Kit:

WOW! What a difference! It even smoothed out my TIR. None of the continuous little pauses as I scan the environment around me.

I experienced the same, BUT I did encounter a problem ... the kneeboard displays at about half its normal size and I can barely read it. Tried to increase its size using the utility Kneeboard Builder, but it doesn't seem to work on this DSR configuration.

Have any of you found a solution for the kneeboard? I admit that I use it a lot, even tough I can also display my notes on a Tablet, as I dont need to take my view out of the HUD :)

If you're using SSAA x2, there's no reason for you to also use MSAA x2 (or anything). It'll reduce framerates and probably cause stuttering, but if you're happy with what you get, it's cool.

That's one of the nice things about DSR, is you can use the Smoothing function and it doesn't reduce framerates, unlike MSAA, which sucks :)

AD

Hi mate...I’ve heard this before but when I turn off MSAA and leave SSAA on there’s a definite decrease in image quality, ie a lot of shimmering etc on buildings in the distance for example. The only way I rectify it and make everything sharp is by running them both. Odd.

I’ll experiment again with this DSR technique over the weekend...

Hi mate...I’ve heard this before but when I turn off MSAA and leave SSAA on there’s a definite decrease in image quality, ie a lot of shimmering etc on buildings in the distance for example. The only way I rectify it and make everything sharp is by running them both. Odd.

I’ll experiment again with this DSR technique over the weekend...

I run them both as well , albeit with SSAA to 1.5 (and MSAA at 2)

Not to take anything away from this method as I’m sure it works but I’m noticing a lot of people on here with high end PC’s like mine, 8700k, 1080ti etc etc and they’re still struggling whereas I’m not. I have a 144hz monitor but I run it at 120hz. Lock the frames in Inspector at 60, choose half refresh rate and that’s it, ultra smooth, doesn’t move from 60. I’m running SSAA on full and MSAA on 2x rather than 4x as that dips the frames to 55 ish over big forests etc.

Your running a 1080ti with a 1080p monitor. I cannot run MSAA 2 full and hold 60 fps with max graphics options. I can run MSAA 1.5 with my 1440P monitor and play the F/A-18 campaign at 60 fps.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Your running a 1080ti with a 1080p monitor. I cannot run MSAA 2 full and hold 60 fps with max graphics options. I can run MSAA 1.5 with my 1440P monitor and play the F/A-18 campaign at 60 fps.

Yeah it’s a 1080P monitor, an Acer XB240H. Fairly old now compared to what’s available but still a good gaming monitor....well, so I’ve read.

I’ll point out that I don’t have shadows on, nor mirrors.

Yeah it’s a 1080P monitor, an Acer XB240H. Fairly old now compared to what’s available but still a good gaming monitor....well, so I’ve read.

I’ll point out that I don’t have shadows on, nor mirrors.

She looks much better with shadows, I have it set to med/max and on default, as seen here in my

Perhaps come back a little so you can have a bit more eye candy on. My monitor is a few years old also, good balance at 1440p between eye-candy and FPS.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

just tried this, dont think dsr works, i had it set on 4x dsr and there was 0 performance drop, thats on 3440x1440, the game shouldnt even run at 4x DSR.

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

The built-in SSAA looks really good, but DSR gives you lots more options and also allows better performance.

I still wish DSR worked with the Ka-50 cockpit. I tried it, and it causes problems with click location--the graphics scale, but the click map does not, so you can't click the cockpit buttons and switches.

AD

Unfortunately, the KA-50 is a frequent tool of mine, so I'll be sticking with MSAA for now.

That said, thank you for posting this. I'll probably use this in other games.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!