Leo Bodnar BU0836X & Linear Pots

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked already but I'm trying to figure out if linear pots will work with DCS?

Specifically, I already have 4 rotary encoders that I'm using for panel/MFD brightness on the F18 but their lack of proper control (spinning the encoder quickly sometimes fails to register properly in game) and the fact that you can keep spinning them are starting to annoy me.

I understand that you have to use pots as an axis control but the question is, does DCS have the correct axis assignment options? Has anyone used pots to control things like panel brightness before? I fly mainly in VR and pots over rotary encoders would enable just a little bit more tactility

Thanks!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I understand that you have to use pots as an axis control but the question is, does DCS have the correct axis assignment options?

Depends on the plane, really. But in general, options are quite limited. A-10C has practically no bindable axis (apart from the obvious flight controls, of course...), MiG-15 has some choices for the radio etc. Check the Axis page for the plane in question.

I have only tested with the cheapest ebay pots with Leo Bodnar board - and they do work (if supported by the module). But in my case they do cause some issues that I suppose is related to the low quality pots themselves - they seem to block some other commands because of the jitter/noise/whatever (I'm no expert...). Like in my instance they seem to interfere with my in-game radio communication not getting thru.

My next step is to order the pots Leo Bodnar is selling and test with those.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

I made a internal/external lightning panel with 6 100K linear pots and a LeoBodnar Bu0836 board from 2010(!).

As @rainyday commented, it depends on that particular aircraft.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

As an FYI in case any wants to do that same thing as me, the F18 has a bunch of axis controls but specifically the ones I'm interested in are the left & right DDI brightness controls as well as the instrument and consoles panel lights

To test before I pulled the plug on a Bodnar board and a bunch of pots, I tried mapping the TM Warthog throttle feux tension/resistance lever to a few axis' and they worked a treat!

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale