Am I reading my Core Clock Correctly?

I've manage to get my 3930k to 4.8Ghz with relative ease; I haven't touched any voltage settings yet am able to get the high OC by simply changing the multiplier across all cores to 48. Thats the only thing I've touched apart from setting the XMP profile

I've checked CPU-Z, Core Temp etc and they're all reporting the same 4.8Ghz, does anyone know if this is a mistake? The reason I ask is that all the posts online about the same CPU and mobo combo (Asus R4E) struggle to get up to 4.4-4Ghz range.

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

have you stress tested it yet?

just because it boots at 4.8 does not mean it will be stable.

give it a good hammering and see if it blue screens or has other issues.

also check the heat. you want to stress it till the heat plateaus at a safe maximum.

especially on air cooling.

other than that. congratulations. you have done well in the silicon lottery. :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Yes you are at 4.8 with a multi of48.

As Quadg expressed though, does not mean you have a stable overclock at that speed.

Prime95 is a good stress testing tool whilst keeping an eye on core temps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You can't trust what CPU-Z tells you if you are looking at VID, that is only showing you what the CPU is requesting, not what it is getting. You do NOT want to keep your voltage settings on auto though, since that will sometimes allow higher than "safe" voltages. Change that to manual and find a good safe place to start (I personally I would start around 1.30V but that is for MY chipset), then if you are able to boot into windows run some stress tests (Prime 95 without the AVX workloads, AIDA64, etc) to see if your OC and voltage is good, if it is try dropping the voltage by .01, if it fails up it by .01.

Each chip is different so I won't try and give you safe voltages for yours, but for the 9th gen CPUs you generally want to stay under 1.4V (1.35V is even better). The other important portion you want to read up on is LLC, you want to set this high enough that it doesn't droop, but not so high that it allows more voltage than what you set (usually a setting 2 under the max setting).

Heat is important to watch, but it doesn't tell the entire story, voltage is what really matters, you don't want it to go beyond a certain point....

Edit: Just a quick google search for your CPU, this thread may help you: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1189242-sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-support-all-x79-overclockers.html

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

my 8700k loves LLC6 and manual Voltage.

Start at 1.35v, LLC6 and prime it, see how it holds, if it BSODs, give it 1.36v, then 1.37 if need to be till 1.40v to see if that WOULD hold it. If you wanna use it if it really needs 1.4 is another story, I wouldnt.

Use HWinfo and check "vCore", that is the real voltage fed. It will be HIGHEST in idle and only DROP when under load. LLC catches the drop but dont overdo it witj max LLC, that again is too much in 99% of the cases.

YOu might also wanna disable SVID, it overrides your voltage settings depending on the SCENARIO you have choosen further up in the same menue, WCS, BCS, ACS worst-best-average, or Auto, it all interferes with your settings, turn it off to have full control .)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X