Heatblur A-6 Intruder

I would so love this, during my days in the Operation Desert Storm and Southern Watch days, I was attached to 2 A-6E Intruder squadrons.

Needless to say, this bird could carry a metric ###-ton of ordnance. I should know... I loaded damn near everything that bird could carry.

This was also an interesting aircraft because the B/N (Bombardier/Navigator) sat next to the pilot instead of behind. This was also the first all weather attack aircraft in the Navy to utilize Night Vision technology.

Heatblur, if you need some ordnance information (non-classified of course) on the bird, let me know, I still have some of that information rattling around in my head, somewhere in there.

Oh the stories I could tell you from my time in the Persian Gulf...

Nice. The APQ-156 on the A-6E TRAM and onward was also a beast of a radar from what I've read.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Needless to say, this bird could carry a metric ###-ton of ordnance. I should know... I loaded damn near everything that bird could carry.

Of course, you had to keep a few hundred pounds in reserve to account for the Pilot's and B/N's balls once they stepped into the cockpit! :smartass:

All weather was definitely where it was at. I wanted to be an A-6 B/N, but they retired the bird about the time I started flight training. Stupid A-12. :(

The Intruder is definitely one of my favourite aircraft and very capable in it's day. Regarding the APQ-156/APQ-148. I've read that some of the 'A' pilots preferred the earlier system (independent search and track radar/displays) and this helped with low altitude flight, because the pilot could back the B/N up by calling up the search radar display. Apparently pilots weren't as comfortable with extremely low level flying with the new system because this feature was lost.

It's interesting to wonder what could have been if the A-6F had been produced since it brought a new radar that would have allowed the A-6 to carry AIM-120s:D along with being fitted with F404 engines which no doubt would have improved the thrust-to-weight ratio.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

It's interesting to wonder what could have been if the A-6F had been produced since it brought a new radar that would have allowed the A-6 to carry AIM-120s:D along with being fitted with F404 engines which no doubt would have improved the thrust-to-weight ratio.

One of the proposed upgrades:

fa46f85caeff73c587c45562ef4aacfb.jpg

Agree , no need to be scared of MiG 15s when you fly at night

And for a Day Alpha strike ? Do your Mission! And let the fighters do their job. A F-4 with A-A configurations is better for fighting migs than a intruder with guns .

Multirole kills diversity ;)

I know A6 isn't supposed to fight MIgs. you mistook what i meant. Self defending against interceptors thats closing on your trail isn't trying to play an F4. its simply entails evasive maneuvers or firing back weapons in self defense purpose. I simply said in that regard A7 is probably better suited.

and afraid of Mig15's? when the A6 went into service well after the korean war. the threat at its initial service would have been Mig19's and Mig21's ranging from day fighter Mig21F13's to the radar equipped Mig21PF. Depending on the intruder variant added, A6E is certainly within the realm of Mig21BIs and Mig23 and given the A6E's long service life can lead well into the era of Flankers and fulcrums.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

lol it is kinda funny setting here reading peeps response to the A6 and its variants. CAP and strike are two totally different worlds. At some point the strike teams will get going and the EA6B will needed to spoof the MIG's its great that the governments of the world make a design requirement that an aircraft be a Air Superiority Fighter and then the budget lumpy get in there and say "we just cant afford a new strike AC" and they hang bombs all over an F-15 i just wonder how long it will be before the 34 is scrapped and they put bombs in the f-22.

fire up the foundry at Grumman Iron Works and let's get those Intruder's on the flight deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With all this talk about KA-6D's why had no one brought up Buddy stores? I was Assigned to A-6's from August of '81 until October of '88 As a Marine Aviation Ordnaceman. I managed to rack up 18 months of "Blue Water" time on the Ranger in '87 -'88. we never had any KA-6D's. The old War Hovers did most of tanking. Our sister squadron an us did some tanking with buddy stores from time to time.

"Strikes Deeper,Lingers Longer, And carries a Bigger Load!"

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know,I don't remember. I know it was on the B/N's Right and down. We had to arm a "guillotine" that would cut the hose in an emergency, then lead-wire seal the switch cover on the panel. I'm not sure if it was left in the bird or removed when not in use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The A-6E along side the Tomcat and Hornet would certainly be a dream come true as well someday...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

The A-6E along side the Tomcat and Hornet would certainly be a dream come true as well someday...

The funny thing is, flight sim'ing is making a full circle. Gunship to Jane's Longbow to Huey/and hopefully Cobra.

F15 Strike Eagle to Falcon 3.0 to F16 from ED.

And Flight of the Intruder to A6 from Heatblur.

May MicroProse and Spectrum Holobyte rest in peace! :joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Funny enough I just read this in a book by a Gulf War I pilot flying off of Ranger. Yes, the panel is on the B/N's side, and they did not have KA-6's either.

I know that the KA-6 was a dedicated tanker, which hinders the air wing ultimately by using valuable space on the boat that could be used by strike or AWS aircraft (S-3) to put on buddy stores. Maybe that was the reason, kinda like how the B's were strictly SEAD birds. When were either or both phased out?

As I said above,I worked on SkyPigs for 7 years back in the 80's and I never saw ether one.

When I first got to VMA(aw)242 in August of 81,They only had a few strait E's left. They were changing over to the E CAIN's. It has the Hard points for the TRAM,but no ball. You can see a small section just forward of the nose wheel with no opening. Slowly,E CAIN's were replaced by the E TRAM's. That's what I worked on most of my time in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know that the KA-6 was a dedicated tanker, which hinders the air wing ultimately by using valuable space on the boat that could be used by strike or AWS aircraft (S-3) to put on buddy stores. Maybe that was the reason, kinda like how the B's were strictly SEAD birds. When were either or both phased out?

The KA-6D was phased out because they were the highest hour airframes and the aircraft was being retired as they wore out. So for the last few years of A-6 service they applied centerline buddy stores to to A-6Es which meant carrying a bit less gas between the higher empty weight of the A-6E and the lower center tank capacity due to fitting the hose and reel into the tank itself (vs fuselage for the KA-6D).

Certainly the KA-6D was far more valuable than the space it consumed. Tankers are essential aircraft for combat operations and the KA-6D could give away far more gas than the S-3B. So most airwings had to task about twice as many tanker assets per cycle compared to before the KA-6D's retirement. The KA-6D could launch with 26,000 lbs of fuel and give away 16,000-18,000 lbs depending on the cycle length. This is twice as much giveaway as the S-3B!

The KA-6D was phased out in the early 90s, perhaps a deployment or two before the A-6E depending on the squadron. The A-6Bs were either converted to A-6Es or retired in the late 70s since the A-6E was given the same SEAD capability.

I agree, Angles of Attack is a good book. :)

-Nick

How did the buddy store system work from a switchology perspective? Was a new panel mounted or did it work off of already existing controls?

Hi Tirak.

I believe a new panel, the Air Refueling Store Control Panel A/A42R-1 (a slightly different, older panel had been used previously in conjunction with the air refueling store) was fitted to the BN's/Observers right side console on late A-6Es. This was pretty much the only area available to place it. For KA-6D aircraft that could carry a buddy store (not all were cleared/equipped to do so), a buddy refueling panel was fitted to the BN/Observer forward instrument panel, just to the right of the standard air refueling panel.

Edited by Blaze1