Frontlines Georgia Campaign

This Campaign intrigues me, but there is almost no information yet about it, all I know is this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/campaigns/ca_frontlines_georgia/

Has anyone purchased it yet? I'd love to hear his impressions :)

Thanks

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

not impressed

So only tried mission 1 but so far NOT IMPRESSED is my first thought. Very few of your units are crewable, I can only find 2 platoons of T-55's, this seems a bit stupid as you are facing T-72's. In fact if you go to spectators in the mission not only are all of the enemy units displayed but there are more crewable units on red than blue.

So only tried mission 1 but so far NOT IMPRESSED is my first thought. Very few of your units are crewable....

Thanks a lot for the insight ... does the campaign came with any documentation, or it only has the in-mission briefings?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I’ve only just started this campaign, but here are a few first impressions.

The Campaign briefing is short, and to the point. Overlooking the obvious typo’s, it does convey the situation, and your role. There is an external 26 page PDF describing the campaign, and each mission, along with the in game briefing screen, with a few pictures, and the mission planner.

You need to be experienced with CA! The initial battle has you controlling multiple land, and air groups with multiple objectives. Having a lot of CA time myself, I was able to get on top of things, but someone not experienced in CA would be lost, and most likely very frustrated. There’s no learning curve here. I would not recommend this for anybody just starting out in CA.

The voice overs are helpful for keeping situational awareness, and sound good.

All the old CA problems are still present. Unit pathing, bad tactics (BMP’s firing AT missile at infantry), unresponsive groups, and other issues will challenge the players patience.

Edited by Paganus
PDF correction

Just tried it again. It's really crummy. Apart from the lack of units that are crewable there are lots of units which you can't even control for some reason. There are aircraft which you can control but do nothing. Also for some reason you are not assigned any recon assets. Wish I could refund TBH.

Thank you both for your views and experience. It looks like a missed opportunity for ED :(

Best regards and thanks again.

Use the \ + F10 + menu to activate Air assets. Make sure you arm them in the mission planner before you start. Set an altitude, speed, and waypoint after they activate, or they will stall.

The first mission has you in control of a lot. You really don't have time to crew anything anyway. I think some of those missions come later.

Don't give up on it after 1 of 11.

Edited by Paganus

• ED Team

The campaign was set to experience all aspects of CA, not just driving vehicles, there are missions where you command many units, and some missions where you drive a vehicle and command only a few. Restricting some units is to keep you focused on the mission area.

It comes with documentation to expand on the briefings.

This campaign is really a new idea for DCS, and as such is a test bed of what can be done, and what we want to see done. SO all feedback is appreciated for sure, what you want to see in the future, etc.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

You need to be experienced with CA!

I had thought of that as well, that its meant for you guys that have had CA forever, and not had much to do with it, I am thinking of approaching ED with a small, more training type campaign for CA, to be free with CA. Thoughts on that?

All the old CA problems are still present. Unit pathing, bad tactics (BMP’s firing AT missile at infantry), unresponsive groups, and other issues will challenge the players patience.

Many reports were made coming from the work itself on the campaign, I got a bunch of stuff fixed, and attention on many others, some of what you list above. At the end of the campaign, I submitted a nice report of what we need to focus on with CA to make it better, so the plan is to address a lot of this.

• Thanks 1

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The campaign was set to experience all aspects of CA, not just driving vehicles, there are missions where you command many units, and some missions where you drive a vehicle and command only a few.

I understand ... I own CA for quite some time, and besides learning to drive and combat on the vehicles, havent really touched on the command abilities .. perhaps some training missions would have eased the learning of these more advanced functions.

It comes with documentation to expand on the briefings.

Thanks for clearing this up ... I do enjoy a Campaign much more if can have expanded Briefings on PDF that I can study on a Tablet when I'm away from the Computer.

This campaign is really a new idea for DCS, and as such is a test bed of what can be done, and what we want to see done. SO all feedback is appreciated for sure, what you want to see in the future, etc.

At least for me, I would LOVE to have a proper interior for at least some of the vehicles AND be able to use it with VR ... tough I can understand that the command aspects of CA dont lend well to a low resoilution display.

I had thought of that as well, that its meant for you guys that have had CA forever, and not had much to do with it, I am thinking of approaching ED with a small, more training type campaign for CA, to be free with CA. Thoughts on that?

That would clearly be a step on the right direction, such a Campaign is what made the Mirage 2000 one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on DCS :D

Thanks a lot for explaining all this and best regards.

ALL controlable units should be crewable you may not need to use them but you may want to use them (manned i mean).

Map graphics. These are hugely important, you should never have to refer to the briefing mid mission. In the first mission it was very hard to track where the contact reports were.

First mission needs recon. You do not want to be using your main force to find the enemy. BRDMs or some other expendable assets.

Better way of identifying which units you can control and better naming of the assets.

There needs to be some real work done on unit spotting routines. The AI can see through fog and woods way better than a human can.

Better Arty control. See my thread in the combined arms thread.

• ED Team
ALL controlable units should be crewable you may not need to use them but you may want to use them (manned i mean).

I did go back and forth on this, I felt in some missions, it would be a mistake to have a user jump into one unit, and not focus on the entire battlefield.

Map graphics. These are hugely important, you should never have to refer to the briefing mid mission. In the first mission it was very hard to track where the contact reports were.

Do you mean in the F10 map view?

First mission needs recon. You do not want to be using your main force to find the enemy. BRDMs or some other expendable assets.

Recon does come later, I wanted it to be a little more unknown going in.

Better way of identifying which units you can control and better naming of the assets.

This is a good suggestion, these options are new, and may need developing further, I will think about this one and see what could be done.

There needs to be some real work done on unit spotting routines. The AI can see through fog and woods way better than a human can.

This is one thing that is a big todo, and very much pointed out to the team, LOS issues are really in need of attention.

Better Arty control. See my thread in the combined arms thread.

Yes, arty needs some love in CA, I have feature requested some changes in line with this as well already.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

64Sig.png

This is one thing that is a big todo, and very much pointed out to the team, LOS issues are really in need of attention.

Happy to read this!

My general feeling about CA has been a general disappointment... but it's not a really hopeless module either. The action is slow and has a clear simulator feel into it - you have to view it in a different light than your typical RTT game nowadays - the value is in integrating it with the rest of the DCS.

In particular I think a much improved CA would make DCS the #1 platform for helicopter warfare as well. And maybe the other way round - give the CA player in the campaign a couple of obvious opportunities to save his/her bacon with an application of helicopters and you make the whole experience click for a moment.

Back to topic: What I feel that kind of kills the CA experience is not that there are not enough units or the mechanics are bad, not to mention obvious engine/terrain limitations, or even that something key like the infantry stealth factor or transports un/loading infantry is missing. It's more the playability issues and quality of life things like you can't figure out a tank's LoS from above and then they get popped one by one because there is very little AI to work around the limitations. Artillery UI is not convenient, there doesn't seem to be a persistent "main camera" position, etc...

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Many reports were made coming from the work itself on the campaign, I got a bunch of stuff fixed, and attention on many others, some of what you list above. At the end of the campaign, I submitted a nice report of what we need to focus on with CA to make it better, so the plan is to address a lot of this.

Not bad think on a "basic" campaign with some gunnery (gun and missiles), fire and move learning tactics, recon, infantry deployment, artillery, attack and defence drills. And after extend them as platoon, company and battalion combined arms and "vertical warfare" lessons, but the last can be similarly to the A-10C training campaigns on successive on a aka Fort Benning / Fort Irwin command qualification course.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

revisiting these might be a good place to start, the original Matt Wagner tutorials etc...updating or adding to these would help

Here is a very nice tutorial on the vehicle control aspects of CA by Mr. Wagner himself ... strange that it is not on his YT channel:

GD42mRY51SU

I made a HOTAS profile to be able to drive without using the keyboard :)

This video says "Part 1" .. Does anyone know if the remaining parts were ever made?

As a guy who has had CA forever, the last thing I'm thinking about is training with CA or wasting time in a campaing with the same old CA problems. By this time most of us have figured our way around. (the ones who haven't give up with this module)

There is, just to reference one with CA user experience, a 71 page thread with all kinds of requests, reports and suggestions from users dating back to mid 2012. By the way you explain the convenience of doing this campaing, it seems like CA was released three months ago.

About that bunch of stuff you fixed, may I ask if this it is something fixed only for this campaign or we will enjoy it soon in the current flow of updates? Thanks.

At the end of the campaign, I submitted a nice report of what we need to focus on with CA to make it better, so the plan is to address a lot of this.

That is really heartening to read! means CA is not some abandoned piece of furniture in the basement!

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Hello,

would anyone help me figuring how to activate the aircraft in mission 1: I arm them in the mission planner, but when starting, they are invisible.

The A-10 stationed in the east are there, but are not manned?

Thanks

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

• ED Team
like you can't figure out a tank's LoS from above and then they get popped one by one because there is very little AI to work around the limitations.

Yeah, I want AI to better adapt to where you send them, obviously, you should have some sense on where they are going, but they should also better adapt to their surroundings. Improvements to LOS and pathfinding really need to take this into account, right now a less tank can take out a superior tank in numbers just because the superior tank walks into trouble.

So yes, it's all things I want and needs to push to be dealt with. as I said elsewhere, I am hoping the dynamic campaign, and elements of RTS put some spotlight on these issues, as will campaigns like this.

64Sig.png