F18 GUN SIGHT ACCURACY

Badger633

Any news on this? Is it being reported and acknowledged?

Zuni rockets seem to hit a bit short (30m or so). I tried different approaches. Shallow, steep, in between, firering just as in range appears, firering a little later, a little sooner. Always short. Only when I had the pipper a little bit above the target, would I hit the target.

Was just some practice, where I had deployed some Mk83's and a Mk 84, then Zuni rockets, and lastly, gun runs. Gun was way long again. Tried switching back and forth, CCIP to Man and back etc. ARM safe, armed, AG on and off. Would always be long.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Would like to bump this as well. It seems the entire calculation method for most (if not all) A2G weapon platforms are off. Mk82s are always long, Mk84s are always short, Mk83s seem most reliable but are still typically off during AUTO runs, the gunsight pipper is always well below actual impact point, and on the rocket pipper the rockets always fall short.

At least all of the weapon systems are consistently off, but is this at least acknowledged?

Yes thats right. Almost all weapons in Hornet are very inaccurate. CCIP gun is absolutly terrible and i cant hit nothing in with canon.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I dont have any problems with Mk 82, Mk 83 and Mk 84 CCIP accuracy. I can hit any sized target - I drop in pairs.

The gun though, thats a strange one. Some times it works, and accuracy is quite ok (spreads them bullets like a water hose though). But other times, well the pipper sits lower (as already displayed by Gnat11 further up), and accuracy is way off. And I cant for the life of me find a procedure to give me one or the other result. Ive tried different loadouts, different order of deploying them. On and offline. Just no luck.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 3 months later...

This happens consistently to me, I just stopped using the A/G gun all together until they fix it. I would say it may be due to the pipper not readjusting after dropping your weapons but others have said it still does the same thing if you don't take a loadout. Very odd.

Always overshoots.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Just out of curiosity, how does the CCIP gun calculate a solution? If you want an accurate solution you need to know your slant range to the ground, and with the absence of a ground radar or a targeting FLIR, I can't think of any reason the Hornet should have an accurate gun pipper

;3710850']Isnt it to do with the seat height?

Try setting your seat higher so the markings on the top right of HUD line up.

Interesting theory. I'll test it out. In reality however, HUD projections are not affected by parallax so it's still a bug regardless.

I set up the strafing range, and with practice, am now scoring significant hits with the canon. You need to make sure the pipper indicates ´IN RANGE’ or you’re never gonna hit anything. Roll in at 4000’ AGL and pull out before 1500’ and it works. Also can do some pretty nice pop up attacks too.

I don’t think anything is broken with it.

I set up the strafing range, and with practice, am now scoring significant hits with the canon. You need to make sure the pipper indicates ´IN RANGE’ or you’re never gonna hit anything. Roll in at 4000’ AGL and pull out before 1500’ and it works. Also can do some pretty nice pop up attacks too.

I don’t think anything is broken with it.

Even with it in range it shoots way high, look at the images posted a page back.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Interesting theory. I'll test it out. In reality however, HUD projections are not affected by parallax so it's still a bug regardless.

That's what i thought as well but apparently it has something to do with bore sighting the gun.

Seems to fix the issue either way.

Why they don't set the default seat height in the correct position is a mystery as well.

:(

I think the A-G accuracy with unguided munitions, including the gun, is going to improve a great deal when the Air-to-Ground Ranging (AGR) radar mode is introduced. Right now the WCS is relying on the aircraft attitude with radar altitude to calculate slant range which is highly inaccurate in nature.

Let's wait and see ;)

Are you sure?

A short excerpt from AV-8B Tactical Manual:

When AGR data is valid, an AGR legend will

be displayed on the right side of the HUD above

the delivery mode legend. If AGR data is invalid

(i.e., EMCON, SIL, range limits exceeded, etc.),

the AGR legend is removed. The computed

delivery mode legend (AUTO, CCIP, etc.) is

mechanized to display altitude source in a manner

similar to the Day and Night Attack aircraft.

See Figure 1-46. For the Radar aircraft, AGR

replaces the ARBS as the priority altitude source

for weapon delivery computations. See Figure

1-47. The MC altitude source for delivery computations

is displayed to the pilot as follows:

I know it refers to a different aircraft but the principle is the same.

As far as I understand, you only need to have your radar altimeter running: the aircraft's on-board computers know your airspeed and dive angle. That should be enough information for accurate CCIP-calculations.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I set up the strafing range, and with practice, am now scoring significant hits with the canon. You need to make sure the pipper indicates ´IN RANGE’ or you’re never gonna hit anything. Roll in at 4000’ AGL and pull out before 1500’ and it works. Also can do some pretty nice pop up attacks too. I don’t think anything is broken with it.
Doesn't matter if it works when you roll in from 4000' or do pop-ups. This is not an F-86 where you have to have a certain dive-profile.

Gun accuracy should work if you're at 200' and shooting within & just below max-range, but it ain't working.

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly a strange bug here. I've been trying hard to isolate the cause of this one and I can't find any pattern. For me, about 25% of the time the gun sight works perfectly. The other 75% it is bugged and the rounds hit ~200m long. Most recently, I was practicing gun runs at an NTTR range with a human wingman, both of our aircraft configured identically - his was functioning normally while mine was bugged.

Clearly a strange bug here. I've been trying hard to isolate the cause of this one and I can't find any pattern. For me, about 25% of the time the gun sight works perfectly. The other 75% it is bugged and the rounds hit ~200m long. Most recently, I was practicing gun runs at an NTTR range with a human wingman, both of our aircraft configured identically - his was functioning normally while mine was bugged.

I have had this bug too but can't find what causes it.

It seems to be related to dropping bombs then switching to gun, but sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.

You can tell if the bug is happening even while flying straight, just from the low position of the pipper compared to usual, so I don't think it is related to CCIP calculations.

See the attached image. Both images are actually almost the same moment, it was bugged so I took a screenshot and saved a track, but on playback the bug does NOT happen so I took another screenshot of that. The sight appears in the correct position on playback?!

Edit: OK it's not to do with bombs. I just took off from the carrier, turned the gun on, and it was bugged.

gun_bug.thumb.png.68eb932c18015d5f9703008889e97a53.png

Edited by Py
added image