Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

Could be said that for DIY nothing is "impossible", but to hook an MCG PRO grip on X-55 base will be need do a lot of work, redo their internals and will lost MCG exclusive functions like analog brake axis, analog HAT (in fact will need replace that HAT with by switch type), analog trigger (need find space and way to install switches there), because the sensors used there is VKB proprietary types and not compatible with other brands connections/firmware.

Sounds like a lot of work just to preserve a base that has shitty internals at the end of the day :music_whistling:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because my X56 gives best helicopter control in DCS I've ever had - and I've had the X52, G940, Warthog, CH Fighterstick, VKB Gladiator and Sidewinder Precision Pro (which was suprisingly good in the Ka-50).

And why would it not work on this base? It's just a base.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everybody else doesn't - the X55 and X56 are very popular.

Also, I happen to be allergic to the kind of plastic used on the grip, so exchanging it for one with a layout I like would be a great solution. Especially given the lack of decent but affordable sticks these days.

It's not as simple as screwing the new grip on. The internals are incompatible.

Also, I had an X55, and if it gives the best control you ever had in DCS, I canonly surmise you used a trackball previously, because the X55, while eegonomically excellent, has some of the lowest build quality I've ever seen. Even the X52 was better. That washplate they use for 'centering' completely eliminates precision. It's a cheap and fancy looking, but extremely poorly made HOTAS.

This is kind of like a guy I saw a while back that blew $2k on a PC to play DCS but refused to 'cough up even more' to get a controller made in the last 15 years. He was using some antiquated device that apparently died while it sat in his attic for two decades. He said he 'couldn't afford' even the $50 for a cheap modern 'entry device'. But he could afford the $2k somehow?

Don't be cheap or ridiculous. Trying to jury rig a high end grip to a cheap base worth $50 is stupid. Either go all the way or just stick with the X55. You're not benefiting, and they aren't even remotely similar internally.

-edit

Btw, VKB have explicitly stated they aren't supporting Saitek because the build quality is too poor and it isn't worth the trouble.

-edit

Everybody is always like 'IF YOU'LL JUST DO THIS REALLY POORLY THOUGHT OUT IDEA, THINK HOW MUCH MONEY YOU'LL MAKE SELLING EXTRA UNITS' yeah no. Real world and your imagination don't sync up too well in this case.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Unrelated to above, I just checked out how the site is organised now. Much better, cuts down on potential for confusion by having people identify their base and going from there.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I had an X-55. The build quality is crap so life is limited, but the throttle ergonomics are great (better than the TMWH) and stick is decent (with the lighter strings, actually better than the TMWH)...

And that's why I'm hanging on to my X-55 throttle while I impatiently await my Gladiator Pro w/MCG. Nothing better worth spending money on out there that is well suited to anything from DCS to Star Citizen. I just hope everything continues working (except the mouse nub which never worked right). When it dies I will gladly get either a VKB or Virpl throttle.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

Well then, are they starting to ship tomorrow?

When are we going to be contacted for payment, if we ordered directly from sales_en@vkb?

For reference, I've preordered a 3-pin Pro for Gunfighter Rev.A.

They are supposed to charge our cards on the 15th, not sure when shipping will be.

They must be getting close, as I tried to check out cancelling on the website, that option is no longer there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When are we going to be contacted for payment, if we ordered directly from sales_en@vkb?

That's via VKB HQ - so you might want to contact them again to learn more.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

They are supposed to charge our cards on the 15th, not sure when shipping will be.

They must be getting close, as I tried to check out cancelling on the website, that option is no longer there.

For pre-orders via VKBcontrollers.com, there will be a staggered release - not all items will start shipping at the same time. VKB HQ will update me with their shipping logistics schedule later today.

PS: You should be able to cancel any pre-order so long as it it in pre-order status. Email me with your order number and I will have a look.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Unrelated to above, I just checked out how the site is organised now. Much better, cuts down on potential for confusion by having people identify their base and going from there.

Thanks for the kudos. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

For pre-orders via VKBcontrollers.com, there will be a staggered release - not all items will start shipping at the same time. VKB HQ will update me with their shipping logistics schedule later today.

PS: You should be able to cancel any pre-order so long as it it in pre-order status. Email me with your order number and I will have a look.

Thanks again for your help. I was able to successfully cancel my pre-order of the MCG Pro grip. Maybe someone else will get one a little sooner.

I think I am a little overwhelmed at this time with stick options, so will stick with what I have for a while. I certainly am not in desperate need for a new one. Plus it being Christmas I could use those funds...

I will keep my new Gunfighter in the box in the meantime, and maybe revisit it sometime in 2018.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For Gunfighter Pro's is there a shipping date? A staggered shipping scheme really doesn't give us much info. That leaves the possibility for my card to be charged and the stick to not ship for months.

Also, where are the items being shipped from?

For Gunfighter Pro's is there a shipping date?

Also, where are the items being shipped from?

We will post up an update today (probably you will read it next morning in your time belt).

NO it is not going to be yet another "wait please" update :)

Originally all devices are shipped from our manufacturing base which (surprise!) is China.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

We will post up an update today (probably you will read it next morning in your time belt).

NO it is not going to be yet another "wait please" update :)

Originally all devices are shipped from our manufacturing base which (surprise!) is China.

Thanks for the update! Great communication from VKB so far this round.

A note from VKB HQ: MCG's Arrival is a Fact Now

Fellow Pilots, 15 Dec has come, and here they are.

2fiiKJi.jpg

Conceived by passionate fliers, designed by seasoned experts, and spirited by immortal terracotta warriors, here comes the VKB MCG Modern Combat Grip.

It took some time to make this happen. We never enjoyed those forced delays, but neither did we waste time in waiting; instead we invested it into perfecting the whole environment the MCGs are becoming part of.

Gunfighter Mk.II

Simultaneously with the MCG, but with less hype, comes the Gunfighter Mk.II - yes, the base has undergone some usability tweaking, and received a few invisible but quite useful engineering and technological touches. All pending pre-orders, current orders, and future Gunfighter orders will - of course - receive the Mk.II.

Lp8GDul.jpg

XiQjAHB.jpg

Moreover, working on the MCG series of grips for longer than expected allowed us to give some extra thoughts to future products, such as (but not limited to!) VKB Throttle Controls and other devices. And, not to mention, the new VKB Twist Adapter that we are busy patenting now. We wouldn't have designed it at all if we hadn't had the MCG in the works.

Payments and shipments.

There are 20+ different sub-modifications of the MCG, and due to obvious technological reasons the most popular ones will be produced and shipped out first. Others will follow without any further delays or intervals between these sub-modifications.

While the devices are on their way to you we will write more detailed explanation on using the advanced functionality of the MCG grip. Please do NOT neglect these explanations - the MCG grips received functionality never before available in any joystick, and to fully enjoy it you will need to familiarize yourself with our notes and advice.

Happy Holidays and best wishes for the New Year from VKB HQ. We are absolutely ecstatic about finally getting it done!

Yours,

VKB-Sim Team

Edited by rrohde
Verbiage

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

:thumbup:

That looks really nice, but how do i order one from europe?

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

My release date is Dec 26th, so when does shipping happen?

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Oh, I just love the way you guys just jump to conclusions and can't wait to show us all how incredibly clever you are and must try and make people look stupid without even asking what they mean or intended to.

I don't mean any fancy functions or things that the full set-up here can do.

This grip is great as it is - the shape, the layout of the buttons and hats or 4 way switches. There is nothing like that on the market just now (nothing that I can find, anyway, and I've been looking all year) - put this grip onto the X55/56 base, with those buttons and hats, 4 way switches etc all connected up even as simple PTM switches at the $99 shown and it would sell well - I would bet my pension on it, because there is nothing else on the market like it at that price point.

There are so many people with slightly iffy buttons and hats on their HOTAS (X55 especially, from what I've heard, but X56 too - though mine still works like new after 10 months) who would jump at the chance to put such a grip on it.

Most of the sub £200/$230 HOTAS look and feel like toys or something from Thunderbirds and don't have much use in sims like DCS World and not all of us can afford to repeatedly shell out on top of the range gear.

So - put an X55/56 style connector on this grip, with nothing fancier than the buttons and hats etc connected up like any other joystick, and you will please many people. Including myself.

Sufficiently explained?

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Oh, I just love the way you guys just jump to conclusions and can't wait to show us all how incredibly clever you are and must try and make people look stupid without even asking what they mean or intended to.

I don't mean any fancy functions or things that the full set-up here can do.

This grip is great as it is - the shape, the layout of the buttons and hats or 4 way switches. There is nothing like that on the market just now (nothing that I can find, anyway, and I've been looking all year) - put this grip onto the X55/56 base, with those buttons and hats, 4 way switches etc all connected up even as simple PTM switches at the $99 shown and it would sell well - I would bet my pension on it, because there is nothing else on the market like it at that price point.

There are so many people with slightly iffy buttons and hats on their HOTAS (X55 especially, from what I've heard, but X56 too - though mine still works like new after 10 months) who would jump at the chance to put such a grip on it.

Most of the sub £200/$230 HOTAS look and feel like toys or something from Thunderbirds and don't have much use in sims like DCS World and not all of us can afford to repeatedly shell out on top of the range gear.

So - put an X55/56 style connector on this grip, with nothing fancier than the buttons and hats etc connected up like any other joystick, and you will please many people. Including myself.

Sufficiently explained?

Who is jumping to conclusions? I am not complaining about it, I am just saying I am disappointed that I won't get to use this product as soon as I thought I would. Nothing wrong with that.

I think you are the one jumping to conclusions here.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Wow... January 2nd now? That is pretty disappointing.

Oh well, back to waiting.

I agree this really sucks big time, make you think twice about VKB projection dates in the future and pre ordering their products :mad: This is very disappointing, so with the holidays season coming I guess it will be late Jan. or early Feb. before we receive them, that's if no more delays surface.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

So it looks like the MCG PRO 3-pin (rev b) is in stock now? And if that's what we ordered, should be shipping soon?

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

Hold your fire

Gentlemen,

VKBsim promised right here on these very pages that 15 December the mass production of MCG grips will begin, and we will start serving orders.

We are happy that [finally] we were able to keep this promise.

The grips are already rolling out. Those ones you can see in the picture are real grips in flesh, not computer rendering.

We did exactly what we promised. I don't think we promised that 15 Dec all grips will be ready, or did we?

Mass production is under full steam, we're packing assembled units to hand them over to the shipping agent on Monday.

Seriously, reading these messages about disappointment is something less than encouraging.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Gentlemen,

VKBsim promised right here on these very pages that 15 December the mass production of MCG grips will begin, and we will start serving orders.

We are happy that [finally] we were able to keep this promise.

The grips are already rolling out. Those ones you can see in the picture are real grips in flesh, not computer rendering.

We did exactly what we promised. I don't think we promised that 15 Dec all grips will be ready, or did we?

Mass production is under full steam, we're packing assembled units to hand them over to the shipping agent on Monday.

Seriously, reading these messages about disappointment is something less than encouraging.

The message I got in email suggests mine isn't shipping until Jan 2nd. But you say they are going to shipping agents on Monday?

It's a bit confusing...

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo