Behavior of AMRAAM - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Thanks, but what constitutes that? Electronics (IFF) or "your eyes"? I just want to make sure I understand what "positive" means
In real life that is dictated by ROEs (Rules of Engagement). Typically it means visually identifying your target. In the virtual world where no real lives are lost you can use Raygun call to your wingman/friendlies, IFF, AWACS when the Hornet gets the declare function - etc...
Old 08-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
chappingbrillopad1

Which AIM-120s are working?

I was flying a CAP mission with my virtual squadron last Wednesday. I put 120B's on, but I had no HUD symbology and my radar wasn't scanning at all.
chappingbrillopad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappingbrillopad1 View Post
Which AIM-120s are working?

I was flying a CAP mission with my virtual squadron last Wednesday. I put 120B's on, but I had no HUD symbology and my radar wasn't scanning at all.
You should see AB for aim120b and AC for AIM120C below on the HUD when each weapon is selected.

You will need to designate a target to get the hud symbologies

Last edited by Eaglewings; 08-12-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #24
WindyTX

In real life we were taught never to fire a Fox 2 if your wingman was in the HUD field of view. A fox 1 was more useable due to stt but still balsy shot and you still need decent angular separation.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #25
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Thanks, but what constitutes that? Electronics (IFF) or "your eyes"? I just want to make sure I understand what "positive" means
That again depends on the ROE for the Theater of Operations. Visual ID has been the go-to requirement for some time in the recent conflicts that the US has been involved in. I cannot speak for other nations as I am unfamiliar with their philosophies when not working in conjunction with US forces.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #26
Alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
That again depends on the ROE for the Theater of Operations. Visual ID has been the go-to requirement for some time in the recent conflicts that the US has been involved in. I cannot speak for other nations as I am unfamiliar with their philosophies when not working in conjunction with US forces.
I see, and that's why I mentioned ROE (Rules of Engagement) a couple posts back when another poster mentioned "some sort of clear separation" before going Fox 2 or Fox 3...in the end, the pilot makes his decision based on his sense of sight and his instincts...there is no mechanical lock or gate that opens when ROE conditions are EXACTLY met, which allow the firing of the ordinance...so, sorry I wandered off topic, but I still am of the opinion that the "maddog method" is something akin to "ejecting"...you never want to use it, but it's there for last resort...thanks for the convo....lots of wise information to be gleaned from you guys...thanks again
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #27
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

This doesn't especially have anything to do with ROE, directly. What I'm saying is there is no IFF component in the missile's seeker, even if you as the launch platform have locked and IFF'd the bandit.

When launched, the missile receives updates from the launch platform about the target's maneuvers until the point where the missile goes active, at which time it turns on its own radar and guides itself to whatever it finds in its field of view...if that happens to be the friendly because the friendly and the bandit are right next to each other, then you're going to wind up committing fratricide.

As Windy says, you're better off restricting yourself to SARH missiles or supporting your wingman with guns if they're that close to the bad guys, otherwise there's a decent chance you'll do more harm than good.
feefifofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #28
wilbur81

Default Regarding Latest Wags' Video

Forgive my ignorance, but is the AMRAAM not truly 'fire and forget?' In Wag's latest video, it seems that he launches and then has to keep his radar lock until the missile goes ACTIVE, which took (by combat standards) an eternity.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

It is not fire and forget at extreme distances. If it stops receiving guidance updates from the launch platform prior to reaching the active state it will turn on its internal radar and attempt to guide itself to the intercept but if the target does any significant maneuvering there is a good chance it won't where the missile expects it to be.
feefifofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #30
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur81 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but is the AMRAAM not truly 'fire and forget?' In Wag's latest video, it seems that he launches and then has to keep his radar lock until the missile goes ACTIVE, which took (by combat standards) an eternity.
Unlike ground targets that are slow for mav to hit and very much a fire and forget. Aircraft are much quicker and your radar is much much more powerful compared to the amaraams. There is a good write up on mudspike about the f15 and how to use these missiles. You can turn away once you guide it to 8 miles or so iirc, there is a count down for this in the HUD.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is online now   Reply With Quote