SU25T store target position ?

metalov

Hello

Switching from A10C to SU25T makes me wonder if there is someway to store

the target position so i don t need to slew again my sensors after losing visual

contact from shkval to target.Something like the POI maybe or like the ka50 datalink ?

Locate and acquire target is rather hard and when done i m often deep in danger zone

, i need to turn back, and my work is lost ... it s getting frustrating.

To be honest after flying the Su 25 I found that for everything except firing the Vkir missile, the Su 25 gunsight is just much better. The Shkval has a poor FoV, only two zoom presets and poor resolution.

What I do to find targets is, in case it is possible, locate them visually and once I got the battlefield situation, use the Shkval to pinpoint mark my targets for laser guided missiles.

Hope it helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

use the level auto pilot to keep her level while you are looking at the screen to target. especially if you have used stores.

makes moving the target point around easier. because your nose is steady.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I worked up a chart showing time and distance according to airspeed. This way as I climb away from my first strike I’ll know how many seconds to fly to achieve the distance I need for the weapon.

I’ve also figured out that turning ~200 degrees (not 180) will get you close to pointing at the target. Throttle back, flaps to maneuver, autopilot on, acquire and lock target, fire...autopilot off, wait for impact (depending on how the situation progresses you may be able to start turning 2-3 seconds before impact. The Shkval will still track the target to its limits).

Turn, throttle up, flaps in, climb >30^ and note the second hand (I use a cheap “car clock” I got at a gas station).

Rinse and repeat.

Special note: Pay attention when your SPO-15 announces incoming tidings of joy during your climb out. It’s too easy to get all wrapped in seconds, distance, altitude, etc. and not notice that little detail.

D6F510ED-170B-4B4F-8FFF-0DF010877263.thumb.jpeg.b06ae4f03f33934d8e1941c14dad7a7d.jpeg

Edited by VZ_342
Upload time/dist chart

Thank you guys for your input,

Yes i guess the key is to study well the flight plan and terrain configuration.

The real life counterpart is known to be rather expensive so only few were produced(and because of the end of USSR ),i can t belive

the real su25T is so much limited.

• 2 weeks later...

It ain't modeled in the DCS.

In reality the Su-25T Shkval system would work like ARBS does in the Harrier and many others. When on approach to target area, the Shkval system would activate and point to general area based waypoints in mission programming. So pilot task is to let aircraft fly the flight plan and then Shkval would automatically target the area and pilot should find and lock the targets in the area.

After the Shkval gimbal limits are reached, the location of the lock was stored and recalled once you came around for a new attack.

There could have been as well the automatic scanning (similar to KA-50) but I think that was one features in Su-25TM, that could use a radar pod to detect the targets on area and lock on them automatically instead pilot finding an locking them by themselves. As well the improved system allowed to engage 2-4 targets simultaneously compared to Su-25T.

What we don't have either is the locking (tracking) capability on anything that has contrast, instead we are limited (as with KA-50 too) that there is a ground unit ID behind gate to get a tracking lock. This limits our capability to use vikhr in its one of many capabilities in Air-to-Air mode where pilot selects A-A and Vikhr missile is programmed before launch to use its fragmentation sleeve instead tandem-warhead and proximity fuze instead impact fuze. This made the Vikhr very capable against helicopters, non-maneuvering aircrafts (up to 500m/s) as well softer targets on ground.

The downsides with the Skhval television system was low visibility after sunset and before sunrise. Rendering evening/morning missions and night missions impossible and the low light "Mercury" TV pod didn't really improve things so much so it was useful mainly for navigation or recoinance.

Some might find the Shkval zooms useless, but for me the 7x and 23x are fairly good ones. In other hand in Harrier I find its 7x almost useless as it gets on the way at the closer range and something like 2-3x I would like (but that is why you have a HUD). But point being that you can see far as that is your benefit, fly around and seek the target.

With a Su-25T (and Su-25) I like to use the smoke rockets if possible. First or last thing I do in the attack is to shoot a smoke rocket to general area (not to block line of sight) as then after it few minutes are super easy to do combat as you can easily perform pop-up attacks and find your bearing visually even when you are between searching possible air targets around you.

If we would have the correct automatic Skhval activation after gimbal limits were reached, it would turn the reason carry smokes mainly for others. As that is one key when you are hunting with friends that you can mark targets and then do a easy combined attack where everyone is swapping target areas based their distance.

If you have trouble to engage targets in time, you are flying too fast and too low. Get some altitude like a 1000-1500m and then you can slow down your speed with flaps and air break (by keeping engines running at higher RPM so you can accelerate quickly after retracting air breaks) and you can maneuver little with gimbal limits. I prefer to just raise nose and fly upward as Skhval gimbal is 80 degree below and that way I am guiding Vikhr to top of the MBT, while keeping the distance closure time minimal and own possibility to dive and speed up.

For bombing runs just use a Autopilot "On-Route" mode. Once you activate the Skhval, the autopilot will keep on level but it will turn to get Skhval to center. So you really can do the bombing runs easily as you just operate the Skhval for target. You can do same for Vikhr or rockets or just for navigation.

And I too prefer the Su-25A gunsight reticle over Su-25T HUD because its thin form. and it is easier to aim in rocket / gun runs.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@opps What does the target store function depend on? Is the last position you lock stored as long as one shuts off the TV monitor before the Shkval goes out of its gimbal limit or did you press some button or something? Or does it simply remember your last locked position and when you don't lock anything new and point your nose towards that last position, the Shkval jumps back to that last lock?

So i tested it myself just now: as already shown by Opps in the video, you seem to need to lock something or lock on the ground when you have selected the Vikhr or KH-29, then switch to the gun and shut off the Shkval. On the next run when looking in the same direction make sure to be in gun mode before pressing O again an the Shkval should be on the same position you locked before. Then switch back to whatever missle you want to use. Its a funky way of doing it and i reckon its a bug and not by design. Would be great to have this funtion for real!

Edited by sc_neo