So I have upgraded my PC

Hey guys im not that good with computers and have decided to upgrade a few components. Im going for this setup:

2x8GB Adata XPG Spectrix D40 3000Mhz RGB Gaming RAM

Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 120EX AIO Liquid Cooling

Intel Coffee Lake Core i7 8700K

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F

From this

i5 4670k

AsRock z87 extreme Mobo

16gb ddr3 2400mhz

My GPU is a Strix 1070 and I think that'll do me for a bit. I was thinking my old setup was limiting what my GPU could do just of reading some stuff on the net. I was going to go for a more expensive cooler but I would of had to go for the i5 8600k and am looking at doing a bit of streaming of DCS and a few other games and heard that i7 are better for it.

Please tell you're thoughts and any advice from you lot is appreciated.

I recently made a similar upgrade from a considerably older 6 year-old PC and the % of increased performance on DCS was only 24% on average (maximum fps increased 2% and minimum increased 40%) ... which to be honest was a modest improvement when compared to the cost of it.

You have a much newer processor, so my hunch is that your improvement will be lower than mine percentage wise .... my opinion is that you would get a better result upgrading just the Gpu to a 1080TI and maybe you could purchase an oculus rift with the change money.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You should setup and run

FraserNZL to see bottlenecks, we were just playing around in this thread HERE with bottlenecks and changing our overclock settings. Me with the 1070 and dureiken with a 1080ti, as you can see there are limits at the moment with the DCS engine even @ 5.1Ghz on the CPU and running a 1080ti. (Large mission)

DCS needs more optimizing and we are waiting on the Valkcan api at some point that should really help DCS. I'm waiting for the next gen GPU's now for my next move.

You should start by checking with MSI and overclock that CPU if you haven't already? Get it up to 4.5Ghz and that should match the 1070 fairly well I'm thinking. You need a good cooler if your going down this route.

This guy in the video above is running a Scythe Apsalus2-90 (AIO) All in One Liquid Cooler.

You can still add a little overclock, you will need to check and monitor temps tho when overclocking, have you got some tinkering experience?

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I’d consider moving up to 32gb of system ram. DCS gobbles a lot of mem right now.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I’d consider moving up to 32gb of system ram. DCS gobbles a lot of mem right now.

Nowadays the RAM is being very expensive, and ED is working on fixing the excesive use of RAM; so probably its best to wait a little before going this route.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You should setup and run
FraserNZL to see bottlenecks,

You can still add a little overclock, you will need to check and monitor temps tho when overclocking, have you got some tinkering experience?

Very little experiance woth overclocking but want to know more. My current cpu is running at 4.2ghz. Thanks for the advice and ill get onto tgat msi afterbutner tonight and see how i get on.

The ROG Strix F is very similar to mine, it's not that complicated to boost it to 4.7G with Asus embedded tools or even further with a few tweaks.

You must have good cooling to do that. What is your cooler ?

Get those apps as well, you will need them if you overclock:

Aida64

prime95

HWinfo

MSI Afterburner

RealBench

Get back to us once you feel ready to OC. This means lots of hours testing btw...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Its a relatively cheap one but will upgrade my cooler later if I need to. Im not going to go hardcore into it, I just wana find somthing stable. The cooler I have purchased is the Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 120EX.

Thanks for everything so far lads.