Is this the right reason to get CA?

fergrim

Potential...

Thats how i would sum up CA. You can have some great coop ideas using it and even get some good missions done. But your going to run into issues and will have to do alot of testing to make sure things work correctly. Whether its related directly to CA or the mission editor or DCS itself with the current changes going on.

It will be a testing experience for now, hopefully in the future once the whole game is a bit more stable it will come into its own, with some more improvment from ED.

Mainly I want to use it as a means of enriching the co-op experience - especially in regards to missions/campaigns that I create and run for myself and friends.

CA is still perfect for this, right?

Yes. Combined Arms is a great tool to enhance the coop MP experience. We in the 132nd use it alot for JTAC's, as you can see in the youtube links below (unfortuantly I dont have any videos from the JTAC, CA perspective):

Basic JTAC/CAS training

CAS training without using TGP

So, I will highly recommend Combined Arms to enhance your coop experience!

Edited by NECK

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

Aside from JTAC, it can also be good to have one or more Opfor ground commanders for short range air defenses and/or ground units that are objectives.

A human player can move a Tor, Shilka, or Igla around, put it in cover where it's hard to see but has a good field of fire, etc. On some of the AAA/SAMs the option to intelligently turn radar on and off is also a benefit.

It can make ground targets more interesting too. Convoy drivers can take alternate routes, hide in the treeline or behind buildings, or in the case of unguided munitions possibly even dodge the incoming weapon. I've actually done this in a tank, saw a pilot rolling in on me and turned hard left at release, and manage to clear the blast radius before it landed.

Live players are devious and imaginative in ways even the best AI scripts aren't. If you give the ability to play with the "targets" using CA as a ground commander, it does enrich the play experience.

It's often surprisingly fun for the ground commanders too. Using a few million dollars worth of ground units to shoot down hundreds of millions of dollars worth of aircraft, or at least frustrate their mission objective, can be rewarding even if the realism and control interface still have a lot of work left to do.

So, yes, very enriching.

It does take a lot of effort from the mission designer though, and you need players willing to play in the ground roles.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

• 2 weeks later...
Mainly I want to use it as a means of enriching the co-op experience - especially in regards to missions/campaigns that I create and run for myself and friends.

CA is still perfect for this, right?

CA is good for exactly that: spicing up the game without (too) complex scripting. You can first destroy the enemy units with your plane and then order your tanks to advance, etc