Autopilot 3 way switch

I use real switches via a PoKey 57U board for this, sending a CTRL+I for Pitch/UP (ALT Hold) and CTRL+P for Pitch/DOWN (ATT Hold). I have also tried the ATT Hold/AALT Hold options but the switch does not move in the sim. The switch works perfectly in the Options window when testing.. It does "wobble" for a second (in flight) when I hit my switch but does not change position. The mouse works fine, is this related to the issues reported here?

AP Settings.jpg

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, GaryR said:

I use real switches via a PoKey 57U board for this, sending a CTRL+I for Pitch/UP (ALT Hold) and CTRL+P for Pitch/DOWN (ATT Hold). I have also tried the ATT Hold/AALT Hold options but the switch does not move in the sim. The switch works perfectly in the Options window when testing.. It does "wobble" for a second (in flight) when I hit my switch but does not change position. The mouse works fine, is this related to the issues reported here?

I found that the pulse time was too fast.
I've just set up a TM Warthog using TARGET, and had exactly the issue you described. I went to the the configuration options for the profile I was using and reduced the key presses per second to 12 and increased the pulse event to 65 and it works perfectly now.

• Thanks 1

@POLARIS1: There are several ways to skin a cat. I havent' tried Valk's solution. But your statement "You can not have more than one value for a certain switch state in a certain category." is simply not right. I have actually created a 4-position command used with a single 3-position switch like the FLAPS switch on the TM WH throttle. The middle position then produces a different setting depending on whether you switch to MIDDLE from the UP or the DOWN position. There is nothing wrong with Valk's code.

My solution looks strange as well; but it works perfectly with the AUTOPILOT 3-Position switch on the TM WH throttle. When the switch is in the UP position on the throttle it's also up in the sim cockpit, etc. I first tried to match the functions; but since the definitions are different.

I use OvGME to back up and restore my modified files and that's solid. Waiting for ED to fill the gaps is no option for me. I have added bindings to all the modules I fly, and they have rarely been duplicated by additions from the developers. The F/A-18 has seen a number of "Special for Joystick" bindings added recently, so I could retire 6 of my additions. But I still have 20 added lines of code active. And most modules are far less dynamic. These are the 2 lines of code I added:

{down = control_commands.ApPitchAlt_EXT, up = control_commands.ApPitchAlt_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up = -1.0,    name = _('Autopilot PITCH Switch ALT HOLD/OFF'), category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('FLCS')}},
{down = control_commands.ApPitchAtt_EXT, up = control_commands.ApPitchAlt_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = -1.0,    value_up = -1.0, name = _('Autopilot PITCH Switch ATT HOLD/OFF'), category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('FLCS')}},

This creates two new bindings: "Autopilot PITCH Switch ALT HOLD/OFF" and "Autopilot PITCH Switch ATT HOLD/OFF" to be bound to the UP resp. DOWN position of the switch.

Note: I enter all my additions in one consecutive block of lines so it's easy to locate them.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 3/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, ebabil said:

With A-10C, i can use warthog's 3 position switch for autopilot although middle position doesn't have any assigment.

Up = Path hold

Middle = AP off

Down= Alt hold

But with viper it doesn't work like that. Up for alt hold ok but when i push back it to middle position, nothing happens so i can not disable AP

Any solution?

In settings look in special for joystick, i use a wharthog throttle works ok

42 minutes ago, jackdaw said:

In settings look in special for joystick, i use a wharthog throttle works ok

Since when? It didn't see the middle position as "off" on my end. I didn't try recently though. Because I have been using the lua file which was provided here 

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

50 minutes ago, jackdaw said:

For a while, look in special for joystick in settings

Sorry but I still can not see it. Only AP option is STRG att and HDG att on my end in special for joystick section

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

@ebabil you are correct i just updated DCS i have a Mods folder on my desktop that i drop in after updating, forgot about F-16, think i got the extra lua lines from Le Culver.

If you want the lua file i have attached it, the path is DSCWorldOpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\input\F-16C\joystick

IF you do use it remember to back up your default.lua

default.lua

Hi all

I was playing with the switches, and I've seen a weird behaviour with the PITCH Switch:

I've assigned the Up and Down actions to the FLAPS button on the Warthog throttle, that is a three position switch. I've mapped up and down, but not center, that is not mapped in any way.

The other A/P ( the ROLL ), has the "transitions" , that allows to use a three position switch to emulate that switch.

When on the ground, the switch position in the sim is the same as the switch position on the joystick ( so if it's UP, and I move it back to center , the A/P switch is moved back to center ).

When in flight, the behaviour is different, since if the switch on Joystick is Up and I move it to center, the switch in the sim ( as expected ) does not move. To move the switch in the sim to center, I have to move the switch on the joystick to down.

So, we have a different behaviour on the switch if on the ground or if in flight ( I guess WoW ), is this correct?

Also, would it be possible to have the "transitions" as in the ROLL A/P ? Or to always have the behaviour as when on the ground?

Or am I missing something ?

At the moment, I've read that I should modify something to emulate those transitions from my joystick, but I haven't got the time to really try that.

Thanks 😄

AP switch - F-16.PNG

On 4/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, diegoepoimaria01 said:

When on the ground, the switch position in the sim is the same as the switch position on the joystick ( so if it's UP, and I move it back to center , the A/P switch is moved back to center ).

When in flight, the behaviour is different.

Also noticed this behavior, seems strange to me, I wish they would just take the 14.325 seconds it will take to fix this and be done, it's so irritating.

The behaviour of the A/P Pitch switch seems inconsistent indeed if bound to the UP and Down commands. But does it matter? On the ground, before takeoff, both A/P switches should be in the center position and you don't mess with them. It would seem more important to me that they provide bindings for a 3-position ON-OFF-ON switch like the A/P Roll switch.

Personally I use the mod I posted on 21-APR-2021 and that works fine for me. My only real problem is that I do not see the A/P maintaining altitude when the switch is in the UP position.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5