TM HOTAS 3-way AP Switch for F-16 AP 3-Way switch

So can anybody tell me why this doesn't work in TARGET SE?

//Autopilot Select Switch *************************
MapKey(&Throttle,APPAT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_ALT_HOLD);
MapKeyR(&Throttle,APPAT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_A_P_OFF);

MapKeyR(&Throttle,APALT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_A_P_OFF);
MapKey(&Throttle,APALT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_ATT_HOLD);

But this does does?

//Flap *************************
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPU, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_HDG_SEL);
MapKeyR(&Throttle,FLAPU, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_ATT_HOLD);

MapKeyR(&Throttle,FLAPD, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_ATT_HOLD);
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPD, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_STRG_SEL);

I'm using DirectX commands in the macros, but AP control switch will only twitch when activated. The Roll selection works fine. As you can see it's the same setup just on the Flap switch.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

So can anybody tell me why this doesn't work in TARGET SE?

//Autopilot Select Switch *************************
MapKey(&Throttle,APPAT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_ALT_HOLD);
MapKeyR(&Throttle,APPAT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_A_P_OFF);

MapKeyR(&Throttle,APALT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_A_P_OFF);
MapKey(&Throttle,APALT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_ATT_HOLD);

But this does does?

//Flap *************************
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPU, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_HDG_SEL);
MapKeyR(&Throttle,FLAPU, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_ATT_HOLD);

MapKeyR(&Throttle,FLAPD, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_ATT_HOLD);
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPD, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_STRG_SEL);

I'm using DirectX commands in the macros, but AP control switch will only twitch when activated. The Roll selection works fine. As you can see it's the same setup just on the Flap switch.

I no longer use Target, but it seems I need to set the button press duration in joystick gremlin which does similar thing for this to activate. Try 0.5 second for each execution.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

None of the ED's F-16 switches are setup this way, making the real 3 way position switches of the warthog somewhat useless for a 3 way switch in the F-16.

Most 3 way switches are now set up for "Either / Or" operation. Either in the Default Category or under the "Special For Joystick" category. That being said some may not be working at the moment. For example Anti-Skid works between Off and Anti-Skid but doesn't work Anti-Skid to Parking break...I'll report that in the bugs section and let them sort it out.

I just tested this.

Instrument Panel Category

Autopilot PITCH Switch - ALT HOLD JOY_BTN27

Autopilot PITCH Switch - ALT HOLD JOY_BTN28

Switch Forward/Up selects - ALT HOLD

Switch Center Selects Center/OFF position

Switch Aft/DOWN selects - ATT HOLD

Switch Center Selects Center/OFF position.

Which I believe is the operation you are looking for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Most 3 way switches are now set up for "Either / Or" operation. Either in the Default Category or under the "Special For Joystick" category. That being said some may not be working at the moment. For example Anti-Skid works between Off and Anti-Skid but doesn't work Anti-Skid to Parking break...I'll report that in the bugs section and let them sort it out.

I just tested this.

Instrument Panel Category

Autopilot PITCH Switch - ALT HOLD JOY_BTN27

Autopilot PITCH Switch - ALT HOLD JOY_BTN28

Switch Forward/Up selects - ALT HOLD

Switch Center Selects Center/OFF position

Switch Aft/DOWN selects - ATT HOLD

Switch Center Selects Center/OFF position.

Which I believe is the operation you are looking for.

Sorry for necro'ing a thread back from October, but I feel like this thread could be merged

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257245

and https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256167

I know the ED team is catching up after their holiday break, and that the Viper is still a WIP, I've had a bit of a break from DCS myself for a bit and coming back to check out the F-16 - I had some thoughts to share

Pitch A/P still not functioning as a 3 position switch while in the air.

On the ground - it doesn't seem which way I try to bind the 3 pos switch - either ATT Hold or Alt hold or the "Down" "Up" controls - it functions as a three position switch. While in flight however - it behaves as the binding describes, not as a 3 position switch. As described by posters above

I'm going to add that some of the naming schemes for controls are kind of confusing. Two position switches seem to only allow for a toggle function and should be labeled as such... CAT I/CAT III switch for example, or the Laser Arm. In the menus they are labeled CatI/CatIII - which to me says it works as a two position switch. But it's a toggle. This imo should be labeled "Stores Config Toggle", and hopefully we'll see a "Stores Config CAT I/CAT III" that works as a two position switch in the future, as well as other 2 pos switches like Laser Arm. If my memory serves me, the Hornet has some confusing control binding titles like this as well not that I can recall them off the top of my head.

While I'm all for functionality for pit builders and WH and Virpil or Saitek users (if they even use positional switches) - ideally some switches are more important than others and would be nice to see asap.

Like I have almost no reason to touch the anti-skid/brake switch when I'm in the air, or actually in combat.

The Master Arm, Laser Arm, Stores Config and Auto-pilot switches, however, are all heavily used in flight, some of them pretty vital when combat situations occur.

I'm sure Eagle Dynamics will address this eventually, and it's not my intention to sound like I'm demanding anything or panicing.

But I am saying - 2 position and 3 position functionality for controls in flight have become a nice luxury to have in DCS, which ultimately the sim is a reason for many of us purchasing the Hog in the first place.

Perhaps I should mention it in the wishlist thread instead, but while a minor issue, it would be nice to see a quick fix addressing the function and labeling of control bindings that are more vital to flight, that could shave an extra second or few in preparation for battle.

I personally don't really mess with LUA files and don't use Target, so hope to see an update that addresses this.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this bird.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

The problem with binding the TMWH switch to the AP pitch channel switch is that the input is constant. This means that when your TMWH switch is in a non-central position the resulting sim action is as if your pilot is constantly holding the switch against the spring with his muscles.

The real switch is spring-loaded such that it falls to off position unless the electromagnet holds it there which depends on electricity and the logic of the software determining when or when not to hold it.

With the simplistic implementation of the switch the logic of when the switch would normally fall to off in the real airplane is lost because no real human pilot holds the switch in one position with tenacity of our video game controllers. Weird stuff starts to happen.

Instead I've made a "pulse" profile for the TMWH which causes moving the controller switch to set the switch in the desired position and then release that input. If the airplane allows the switch to stick it sticks, if not it falls back to off. The downside is that the controller switch can be on but the airplane off but it does allow the airplane switch to fall to the off position naturally resulting in more reasonable behavior.

The problem with binding the TMWH switch to the AP pitch channel switch is that the input is constant. This means that when your TMWH switch is in a non-central position the resulting sim action is as if your pilot is constantly holding the switch against the spring with his muscles.

The real switch is spring-loaded such that it falls to off position unless the electromagnet holds it there which depends on electricity and the logic of the software determining when or when not to hold it.

With the simplistic implementation of the switch the logic of when the switch would normally fall to off in the real airplane is lost because no real human pilot holds the switch in one position with tenacity of our video game controllers. Weird stuff starts to happen.

Instead I've made a "pulse" profile for the TMWH which causes moving the controller switch to set the switch in the desired position and then release that input. If the airplane allows the switch to stick it sticks, if not it falls back to off. The downside is that the controller switch can be on but the airplane off but it does allow the airplane switch to fall to the off position naturally resulting in more reasonable behavior.

If ED can implement a way for the switch to go to center regardless of whether it was up or down if you do something that would disable auto-pilot while still allowing for the switch to operate as a 3 position switch otherwise, I think that'd be preferable for me.

Only time I ever brought out TARGET prior to this was for that other sim with a jet of similar fashion, and if anything makes me appreciate that DCS has it's own modifiers and I haven't reached the limit yet on controllers that work with it at once. That and for the most part ED and 3rd party devs eventually get things working for all the Hog owners in the long run. :)

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

If ED can implement a way for the switch to go to center regardless of whether it was up or down if you do something that would disable auto-pilot while still allowing for the switch to operate as a 3 position switch otherwise, I think that'd be preferable for me...

But then the sim's cockpit switch would be in the center position, while your HOTAS switch is in the UP or DOWN position. Wouldn't you mind this out-of-sync situation?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It would be nice to have the possibility to make your own adjustments in the lua without them getting overriden by updates.

Just the possibility to merge the own added commands, in a own lua file in your saved games folder, to the existing ones like the game automatically creates for button assignments.

It would be nice to have the possibility to make your own adjustments in the lua without them getting overriden by updates.

Just the possibility to merge the own added commands, in a own lua file in your saved games folder, to the existing ones like the game automatically creates for button assignments.

I agree. That would do away with the extra work of managing the additions with OvGME. And it would simplify the process when ED has made additions/changes to the stock files, especially in modules that are still in evolution (early access), but also bug fixes. Today I have to compare the new "default.lua" with my modified ones. And if the new stock files have additions/changes I must either carry these into my modified files or add my mods to the new stock files. With user files under "Saved Games" that process could be simpified or eliminated.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just my 2ct on the situation:

The fix edits the default.lua control scheme, wich is an insanely useful thing to know how to do in general esp if you're not fond of Target.

You could essentially make any switch a 2 or 3 way "Special For Joystick" switch by modding that.

BUT!

It might break some functionality for solenoid / spring loaded switches that are supposed to return to position but you just hold them in place with your HOTAS.

(Witch is actually the case for the AP switch, it flips back if the AP turns off!)

Thinking about it, that really explains a lot! I had some very funky behavior when leaving the AP on and going off course in game:

It would trip the AP to turn off, but the TM switch held it in place so the game would treat it as if it got turned back on making me flip-flop around with the AP stuck in an on-off loop.

Edited by BaronZ