Trim | I know I am missing something

Hallister

When taking off with a hot start plane I have terrible trim problems where the plane lerches nose up and I have to lay on the trim down to eventually fix the nose problem. This is after spawning and re-arm/refuel.

Is there a way to check what trim is set so this doesn't happen.

It has happened once or twice also on a cold start but not as often.

There is a take off trim key "v" or you can map to your stick.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Wags, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Once we check the FCS page and check the STAB setting what is the procedure? Is there a button or something which needs reset?

I have this issue randomly probably two or three times out of four takeoff attempts. I cannot reliably reproduce the issues and the only thing that solves it seems to be getting a new aircraft, and even then it's a crapshoot.

Is there a procedure to address problems and what is the normal range for STAB?

Did you run through the cold start tutorial? Before take off you need to run the FCS BIT test..it will reset stab to 0. Then set half flaps once you hear the test is done (3 beeps I think). Then press take off trim button on the left hand console. Stabs should ready 12.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Wags first off thanks so much for being the tip of the spear for your team, you are doing a great job over there. Second thanks for that info. I found what you mentioned and found from was set way high. Using the NATOPS I can find my trim settings per weight. Thanks again!!

Forgive me if I’m missing something here, but isn’t the procedure to press the trim button on rudder trim knob for takeoff trim? If so, isn’t it supposed to trim it according to what flaps set and weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

No all it does is set Stab to 12 degrees Nose up and neutralise aileron and rudder trim. If on the CV based on other variables you need a different trim setting you then manually set it to the required setting.

When taking off with a hot start plane I have terrible trim problems where the plane lerches nose up and I have to lay on the trim down to eventually fix the nose problem. This is after spawning and re-arm/refuel.

Is there a way to check what trim is set so this doesn't happen.

It has happened once or twice also on a cold start but not as often.

So there's a couple things and we will assume you start with a hot plane:

1. By default, your right MFD will be on the FCS page. Check the status of your control surfaces, to see if you are set up for take off. Your rudders should be at 30 and stabs at 12. If this is so, you should be set.

2. Make sure your flaps is set to half. NOT AUTO. If your flaps are set to half, and you are correctly trimmed for take off, your fcs should retrim your bird once you raise the gear and flaps to auto at take off. If your flaps wasn't set to half from the start, set them to half then press the FCS reset button and take of trim button to set your stabs to 12. (I think it's the V key.)

3. If you take off and you find your bird is fighting you to pitch up, check your flaps first, and set them to auto. Then hit fcs reset and she should calm right down.

• Like 1

Yep pressing TO trim button on CV or Land will always simply set the Stab to 12 deg Nose up. Depending on Weight C of G WOD etc you may need additional trim. There is a Table in the NATOPS the gives you the correct setting. so having First set 12 deg Stab NU using the TO trim button you then use the trim switch on the stick to set the required Stab trim.

CVtrim.jpg

Also Aircraft behavior immediately after take off and in a Flaps Half/Full go around is still being tweaked.

Edited by IvanK

I’ve always used just the TO trim button for every takeoff, regardless of weight and I never got an alert. Just an Adv- Trim which is normal for pushing the TO Trim. No Chk Trim. Strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

The important thing that directly causes the issue (it's not random...) is when you do the FCS BIT when the flap switch is on 1/2. It needs to be in Auto, then when you hear the beeps you reset FCS, set T/O trim, then set flaps to 1/2.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The important thing that directly causes the issue (it's not random...) is when you do the FCS BIT when the flap switch is on 1/2. It needs to be in Auto, then when you hear the beeps you reset FCS, set T/O trim, then set flaps to 1/2.

Do you have to do the FCS test every start up what if you skip it?

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

I noticed this problem as well -- rewatched Wags startup/taxi/take-off tutorial, and if you notice, he "cycles" the controls throughout the stick's range while he is running up the engines right before take-off. When I do this, the pitch problem isn't present -- when I don't, the problem is there. Can anyone else confirm?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have the same problem but worse. if I start the Hornet Cold or in Missions it happens all the time that if I try to take off My Stab setting on the FCS Page goes from „Arrow down 12°“ to „Arrow Up 24°“ and all procedures dont work in my case. I tryed running the FCS BIT Test with the Bit Test on the DDI by key 21 and Keyboard Key Z and I tryed using the FCS reset butto and pressing Z at the same Time for a nother FCS Test but I can Run both or Just one or the other and I will always end up with my Stabs setting to 24° after take off. I also run everytime the 12° Stab bevore Ground takeoff by setting flaps half and pressing T/O Trim "V" bevore I switch to auto after takeoff but everytime "STAB 24" after a few seconds. The other problem is that on CV Takeoff as well on Ground the FCS of the hornet should Lead the plane to a nice starting angle after it build up enough speed but in my case on CV TO I run in the water if i keep the hands of the stick and on Ground To I run into the End of the runway. The next problem „If you take off and you find your bird is fighting you to pitch up, check your flaps first, and set them to auto. Then hit fcs reset and she should calm right down.“ Wont work for me… Same problem if i autostart the hornet, everything is up for TO but if I do so my plane is plagued by the same problems so I think I made no mistakes at this point. I fight 2to3 weeks with my hornet now, have understood the FCS fully but my plane wont work as intendet and this is a real gamebreaker becaus it happens in 99% of all game sessions. I managed just 2 times starting without my STAB turn in to 24° after I switched from half to auto after TO and this sucks so hard becaus you cant fly with your STAB setting to 24! If you managed to fly as long as 2 mins you maybe see over 250 knots with FULL AFTERBURNER...

Dragon,

Before takeoff press the FCS reset button and cycle the flaps from auto-half-full and then back to half for takeoff.. All your problems should be solved.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Dean I think you’re missing Dragons point. He said he does that and it still doesn’t work. I’ve had this same problem on occasion. It’s really weird, and for what ever reason it’s completely random if it happens or not. Take off, land, take off again (making sure that trim is set properly) and the jet goes heavy nose up. No amount of trim helps. It happens on the Carrier for me, with only one time happening on the beach.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah ok thats a different problem to the rest of this thread, perhaps there is a binding issue with his pitch trim? I've done hundreds of takeoffs, touch and goes and carrier landings followed by launches and never had any issues as long as i've reset the FCS and cycled the flaps a few times.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

There - still - is a 'pitch up' bug. You cycle flaps, gear and FCS.

This takeoff might also - possibly - be triggered by F18 weight-on-wheels, when taking off, you need to positively pitch up,

so wheels do not 'bounce' on/off the runway and trigger weight-on-wheels on/off/on, with the additional - possible - problem that gears won't come up with gear lever up, that needs weight-on-wheels also.

Try might this YMMV.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I cycled tue flaps I pressed the FCS Reset button but nothing worked so far After tue takeoff and i can Run any Start up step or autostart or start a Mission where I stand Pitched in the Ground I will end up 99% with my STAB rising to 24. I also checked my Hotas but all seems fine and he dont send strange Signals. I will check the WoW, thats a good point but i still Think thats a Bug.