Cold War 1947 - 1991 *** Limited Edition ***

Alpenwolf

Hi. I think ROSS will be able to get 3-5 boards.

Do you have your own GCI?

GCI speaks English/Russian?

GCI only or ground warfare commander as well?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I wish these were hosted during the week and not on Saturday, as I'm not available during the weekend... :/ With enough lead time I could put together a full Schwarm of JG-1 members to join in on the fun, potentially with GCI support.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

I wish these were hosted during the week and not on Saturday, as I'm not available during the weekend... :/ With enough lead time I could put together a full Schwarm of JG-1 members to join in on the fun, potentially with GCI support.

It's not always on Saturday. So far we had Thursday, Sunday and Saturday.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Do you think the Red side could use a few Egyptian Mirage 2000? They were operational 1984.

Add Egypt to the map and I'll give you more missions.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Do you allow flying on both sides in one mission? For example. First hour for red, next hour for blue?

I'm always against that. In all missions. After 1 hour you already know your coalition's plan, especially the tactics for the ground units, where they are, are they flanking, are they holding position, etc.

It's alright to do that in the first 10-15 minutes maybe if one side is heavily outnumbered. Otherwise very unappreciated.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

It's not always on Saturday. So far we had Thursday, Sunday and Saturday.

Alright, will have a go the next time it's on Thursday.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Update:

So far at least 7-8 members of the 104th Phoenix squadron will fly Blue.

Reminder: A total of 14 fighters available for Blue plus several cmdr/JTAC slots.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I will jump in as a Rio in the Tomcat from time to time when it gets quiet on the Gci side, is it ok to do this?

Sure. Within a coalition you can always change slots. Just not while being airbrone. The only exception is the RIO not the pilot. That would result in losing the aircraft and it's not fair to others who might be firing missiles at you.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I'm always against that. In all missions. After 1 hour you already know your coalition's plan, especially the tactics for the ground units, where they are, are they flanking, are they holding position, etc.

It's alright to do that in the first 10-15 minutes maybe if one side is heavily outnumbered. Otherwise very unappreciated.

Ok, cool. Thnx

How long does the mission typically last? I might be between 30-60 mins late since my ArmA group are running an event just before, but hopefully there'll still be stuff left to do :joystick:

First round ca. 3.5 hours.

Second round ca. 3 hours.

Third round ca. 2 hours (Blue were heavily outbnumbered).

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Looks like 104th_tiger together with Mike-Delta will tend to the ground warfare for Blue. Now that's a tough challenge! I'll need someone to help me out. Doing GCI for Red while simultaneously running the ground battles would result in me being rubbish at both.

Shadow can't participate which would've had been enough.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Looks like 104th_tiger together with Mike-Delta will tend to the ground warfare for Blue. Now that's a tough challenge! I'll need someone to help me out. Doing GCI for Red while simultaneously running the ground battles would result in me being rubbish at both.

Shadow can't participate which would've had been enough.

I will do Gci for Red

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Blue Won!

Summary:

The tank battles were incredible!!!

All advancing Red tanks and vehicles were destroyed except for a Tor, 2 x Shilkas and an ammo truck.

Out of the 28 Merkava tanks 21 were destroyed and 2 Humvees (scout units).

Blue did some vital SEAD at the beginning which allowed them to operate at high altitudes unlike the first 3 rounds.

F-18's and F-16's did a good job at providing CAS.

A very well organised Blue team this time.

Red did well enough with what they had. NELLUS was doing GCI -> good job there! And I was tending to the ground warfare -> decent -_-

Many MiG-21 and F-5 pilots! And they got some kills too! Kudos!

Here's the butcher's bill:

50 x MiG-21's were lost (64 available)

21 x F-5's were lost (36 available)

24 x MiG-29's were lost (24 available)

09 x F-14's were lost (24 available)

07 x Ka-50's were lost (12 available)

22 x F-15's were lost (36 available)

21 x F-16's were lost (36 available)

10 x F-18's were lost (24 available)

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Some observations from red (before we ran out of planes and I ran out of patience with DCS freezing on me) - with 20+ players all on comms, we really need multiple GCIs on separate channels to avoid comms overload. It was hard picking out my own calls and no doubt difficult for GCI to keep track of everyone as well as respond to requests.

One GCI on imperial units to look after F-5s and F-14s and another on metric would probably be ideal. The conversions aren't hard in cruising flight, but under pressure or near the front, it becomes hard to do even fairly basic arithmetic.

The MiG-29s weren't being used very effectively... some weren't on comms (understandable as they aren't English speakers, but complicates things regardless) and we mostly ended up in the same furballs as the 21s. IMO the 29 is actually worse off in this environment as you're trying to operate the more complex systems, fly, and avoid locking friendlies. Close combat modes were effectively 'jammed' by the airspace being so busy that the radar had a 50/50 chance of grabbing a friendly 5km off the nose, not the jet 2km away and pressing. Keeping 29s high and fast, and 21s on the deck, is a better use of both - blue's strategy of mostly hugging the ground should be suicide against lookdown-capable aircraft, but it just didn't eventuate that way.

Blue SEAD was super effective, while we didn't really have much - so they could sit under their SAM umbrella, which then also affected our ability to use the 29s properly.

The mission was certainly a big departure from the usual format, and did a good job of showing that what works for the normal missions doesn't work in a more complex environment or against a technologically superior enemy. Hopefully next run my DCS decides not to freeze every time I get merged, I was really looking forwards to this but the game's performance (not due to the mission, I think, just DCS idiosyncracy) marred it a bit for me.