Help with hover mode and trim.

truebrit

Ok, so I manage to get in to a nice stable hover, but as I'm searching for a target, my chopper will yaw right(with no input on the control indicator). So I yaw left while in hover mode and single press trim, that doesn't work, so I disengage hover, hold trim and try it that way, still it wants to yaw right. I restarted and it does the same thing, it must be me, I am very new to the BS. Also, auto turn does not help this.

What am I doing wrong?

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Do you have auto turn enabled in the targeting panel?

Yes, but it does the same whether anything is targeted or not.

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Couple things to check. Did you set multiple rudder in control options? If so that doesn't work. Also, if you don't have rudder pedals, I highly recommend not using the twist rudder and use the top rotator on throttle as rudder. I wish someone told me this earlier.

Also do not use trim rudder in Ka-50 options.

Another reason you might rotate may be wind. It would do that in high wind and have to compensate with rudder. This is also why I recommend using the rotator.

Make sure heading, banking, and pitch hold autopilot is on. And that flight director is off.

You can also open the control overlay, I believe RCtrl + Enter to see exactly what's happening with your rudder.

Just saw your wheel. Make sure you remove any assignment to your wheel in DCS control options. Unless you are using the pedals as rudder in which case, make sure it is only control assigned to rudder.

Edited by Taz1004

Thanks for the tips. I use my Thrustmaster pedals for yaw, I use the overlay and when it rotate right there is no yaw input. I have rudder trim on, I'll turn that off, I have everything as you have suggested, so maybe that's it.

I used to use the top rotator on the throttle as rudder with my old X52 as the yaw twist was glitchy as hell, such a bad HOTAS that was, no probs with the Logitech x56.

Thanks.

Couple things to check. Did you set multiple rudder in control options? If so that doesn't work. Also, if you don't have rudder pedals, I highly recommend not using the twist rudder and use the top rotator on throttle as rudder. I wish someone told me this earlier.

Also do not use trim rudder in Ka-50 options.

Another reason you might rotate may be wind. It would do that in high wind and have to compensate with rudder. This is also why I recommend using the rotator.

Make sure heading, banking, and pitch hold autopilot is on. And that flight director is off.

You can also open the control overlay, I believe RCtrl + Enter to see exactly what's happening with your rudder.

Just saw your wheel. Make sure you remove any assignment to your wheel in DCS control options. Unless you are using the pedals as rudder in which case, make sure it is only control assigned to rudder.

If none of that works, I wonder if your actually getting any input from your rudders to actually create the yaw? Is there any indication of that in your Controls Indicator Overlay?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

There's no input on the overlay, it must be something wrong I'm doing with the trim? When I use auto turn(to target) it always has me pointing about 10 degrees off the target, trying to trim dead on does nothing.

If none of that works, I wonder if your actually getting any input from your rudders to actually create the yaw? Is there any indication of that in your Controls Indicator Overlay?

When you move your pedal input do the pedals on the floor of the cockpit move or not? It sounds like you are not making pedal input into the sim at all.

I recommend using the rudder trimmer checkbox option in the special tab. When trimming fly the helicopter into the desired parameters, hold the trimmer button and adjust controls as needed until the helicopter settles and holds those parameters with your held input. Only when the helicopter is flying the desired parameters steadily should you release the trimmer button. Due to the way the system is programmed if you tap the trimmer button it is likely that the physical control state and the captured autopilot attitude values won't match up.

There's no input on the overlay, it must be something wrong I'm doing with the trim? When I use auto turn(to target) it always has me pointing about 10 degrees off the target, trying to trim dead on does nothing.

That's how it is with auto turn to target. It's never dead on. You always have to fine tune with rudder. That's why I prefer rotator as it works like a trim.

Rudder trim in options I don't recommend because once you trim it, it's difficult to bring it back to center. and trim again. And you're linking rudder with all other autopilots. Whenever you want to trim the rudder, all other autopilot gets trimmed at same time. Like wise, you want to trim pitch or bank only but it will trim your rudder again if you have that check box.

Edited by Taz1004

As stated already, turn to target does NOT put you dead onto target, i have to input rudder as well to put the sight on target.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Rudder trim might actually be a good idea.

The pedals are spring loaded and mechanically independent. If you combine 2 pedals into 1 rudder axis you basically have a self-centering axis, similar to a twist stick. This is what rudder trim is great for. After trimming you just need to lift your feet.

Without it you'd need to hold the pedal in the exact position all the time, which is much easier when using proper rudder pedals or a rotating knob. The Ka-50 rudder can be really sensitive, even in heading hold mode.

Another advantage would be curve settings. Once trimmed you'll have more precision when making small adjustments.

The PVI set to waypoint won't change your autopilot unless you're in route mode. The diamond on the HUD heading tape will be toward the waypoint but the heading hold will still capture values that are different.

Check your controls indicator (right-control+enter). See if your pedal position center is updated by pressing the trimmer button or not. If not then the pedals do not get trimmed and you will have to apply constant manual pedals.

The PVI set to waypoint won't change your autopilot unless you're in route mode. The diamond on the HUD heading tape will be toward the waypoint but the heading hold will still capture values that are different.

Check your controls indicator (right-control+enter). See if your pedal position center is updated by pressing the trimmer button or not. If not then the pedals do not get trimmed and you will have to apply constant manual pedals.

No need. I was not in route mode, and I don't use rudder trim. But thanks!

Edit: I got so frustrated that I even search this forum, and found the fix. Checking route mode was the first thing I did. But I agree, I would expect that I did that wrong, but now I have my fix.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Edited by MAXsenna

Rudder indicator in controls indicator do not return to center with "trim rudder" option. At least not for me.

This is why I did not like trim rudder option. Without controls indicator window, I do not know what my rudder is trimmed to. And having that controls indicator breaks immersion for me.

I did get pretty good with the twist rudder and rudder trim. But using the rotator instead was revelation.

I removed the springs and detent from my Saitek rudders, works wonders in helicopters!
Se fore. I have the cheapo TM rudders. They have a small plastic plate on the bottom, which when removed gives access to the spring. And I takes me two seconds to remove it, and about ten seconds to install it again. They don't have a detent without the spring. Might be the best thing about these rudders.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk