Trees collision and MP

Tvrdi

What, and have no ground units moving about at all? That's obviously never going to happen.

And how is that different from what we currently have? Trees are there just for show, AI sees straight through them as if it was glass and can fire as well.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Trees without collision have proven to be a problem the first day Combined Arms were introduced and I'm hoping that ED is doing something in that direction with Edge.

Whatever the case, DCS: WW2 is a year away, and until then everything is WIP. I guess it's a positive thing that ideas for trees collision are brought in the open now, so developers of DCS:ww2 can implement this (if possible within the Edge engine platform).

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

And how is that different from what we currently have? Trees are there just for show, AI sees straight through them as if it was glass and can fire as well.

It's not.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

No offense, mate, but I mean seriously? When omitting such a important aspect of ground, helicopter, and low-level air combat, I'm asking why people should not see it as a problem.

Except we're talking about WWII sim here, not a helicopter sim where it's an issue. You WILL NOT be flying through trees most of the time. Most fights will take place way above tree level, as high as 25000 feet, even more. Sure, there'll be also ground attacks but given the terrain - mostly fields and bocage - you will not even notice the problem, same as it's not much of an issue in A10 over Georgia.

Sure, it'd be a bonus to have collidable trees, why not if it's possible in the engine, but it is by no means a game changer in this particular game. Also, I'd much rather have more detailed FM and DM then care about trees which will be way below me most of the time. Hence why I prefer to have it this way then switch to some other games, less detailed, but oh wow with collidable trees :)

I think it's more an issue for the helicopter combat fans out there and it's not stopped them from buying Blackshark, Huey or Mi-8. Sure it's a feature I hope ED will resolve in time but its not a deal breaker when you weigh up everything else that this WWII project has to offer.

Except we're talking about WWII sim here, not a helicopter sim where it's an issue. You WILL NOT be flying through trees most of the time. Most fights will take place way above tree level, as high as 25000 feet, even more. Sure, there'll be also ground attacks but given the terrain - mostly fields and bocage - you will not even notice the problem, same as it's not much of an issue in A10 over Georgia.

Sure, it'd be a bonus to have collidable trees, why not if it's possible in the engine, but it is by no means a game changer in this particular game. Also, I'd much rather have more detailed FM and DM then care about trees which will be way below me most of the time. Hence why I prefer to have it this way then switch to some other games, less detailed, but oh wow with collidable trees :)

With clear emphasis on the ground attack (A-26, P-38, P-47, Typhoon etc.), the problem here is the AI. Currently it can move, see and fire through forest as if it wasn't there. In other words, if you fly over an AAA parked in the middle of the forest you will have a hard time spotting it while it can shoot back uninterrupted as if it was sitting in the middle of an open field. Add in the Combined Arms component, i.e. WWII variant of the same module and you can see where I am going with this...

Even more so since the other camp has this problem solved with every single tree wielding a collision box around it. Or some other trick used to pull it off. It can be done without bogging down the whole system. There obviously is a way, meaning luthier's argument IMHO simply isn't valid. Someone correct me if I am wrong / please provide another explanation.

Edited by T}{OR

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

.....There obviously is a way, meaning luthier's argument IMHO simply isn't valid.....

It is 100% valid with the code he has to work with. Cannot argue that because you can do it with one set of code that another automatically follows suit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was afraid you would answer that. Thanks.

Hoping that some kind of workaround will be found in the future. If for nothing else, at least the AI.

Edited by T}{OR

I was afraid you would answer that. Thanks.

Hoping that some kind of workaround will be found in the future. If for nothing else, at least the AI.

There is still hope.

This 'wish' is a long time coming, ever since I got here 7 years ago and probably even before that. All my submissions in this thread are based on the current engine code and its limitations as explained. Now it does not necessarily follow that EDGE will follow the same path and be saddled with the same limitations. We will have to wait and see and hope that EDGE does indeed address this irritating issue and that Luthier's comments are based on the current code only.

Time will tell.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm baffled as to why lack of collidable trees is such a problem for some people. I played DCS or Clod Multiplayer a lot and it's very rarely an issue.

Most dogfights take place at at least a few hundred feet, more likely a couple of thousand. Sure, it might happen someone will run to the deck and, if you don't have a "gentleman's agreement" on the server not to fly through trees, then he might attempt to hide in the forest. But that's very, and I mean very rarely an issue, perhaps 1-2% of the total fights? So I don't understand why this is a deal breaker for some and they prefer games with much worse FM and DM just because you can hit a tree...By that logic War Thunder is a better sim just because it has trees collision...

well, for me its definitely not a deal breaker, but i would love to have collideable trees, if somehow feasable with performance.

i wouldnt even see the need while in a dogfight, but definitely after one, when you have to emergency land your damaged plane in a field, surrounded by wood.

way more immersive, when you know you gotta stop before the end of the field, or even while chosing the landing area...:)

the 1-2% depends on the server...in clod, ive seen many doing this to espcape.granted, it was the minority, and it were always the same people, but still...

what i still dont understand is, how other sims/games can have tree collision models...

now most people would probably argue, that the games like warthunder have small maps, and therefore its possible to have collideable trees,...

but am i wrong of does FSX have collidable trees as well?

but you are right, its definitely no deal breaker, not even remotely.

• ED Team

Really does no good to compare other or older sims, we dont know what EDGE is capable of, we can all be pretty sure that ED is aware that its an important issue to all of us, I would also caution that when it comes to EDGE its better we get our info from ED, nothing against Luthier of course, but its possible there are things in the works on the engine that he doesnt know or cant share. Really we are discussing something we just dont have enough info on yet.

Now my gut tells me that with the size of most DCS Maps, chances are if we get anything like tree collision it wont be individual trees, the amount of objects that would add would be insane... but lets just see what comes around.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
the subject on trees is as old as this DCS website itself.....the devs dont need to stop what they are doing for you to have a solid answer....you just need to learn to use the search function

Not really, we dont have that much info that we can search for on the capabilities of EDGE yet...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

For me the trees have to look right to add to the immersion.

When/if collisions get implement I will be as happy as the next man but the last thing I want to do is have to go back to the stacked disks in the original IL2 or the spinning Ents in RoF.

Both really kill low level flying for me, and as I do a lot of ground attack I really notice it a lot.