Development Update September 2015

Ells228

Hi Guys,

Whilst we are maintaining a no WIP screenshot policy on the forums or FB feed, we think it is only fair to you, our customers and potential customers to keep you updated on progress.

I've made the aircraft titles bold and the sections in italics so you can find what you want to know easily.

With that in mind I'll jump right in....

Hawk

EFM...EFM....EFM...that is all I keep bashing Pete and our team over the head with.

So, let me give you some background info on why it's been so long getting to you.

As you know the ASM was developed over several years; learning how to integrate with DCS, changes in the core sim, protection issues, all stuff you've heard before.

It's only recently that when we looked at integrating the ASM into our new base "Single Engine Non After-burning Jet" EFM (that was developed separately) that we noticed a few holes here, a few cracks there.

Suffice to say the ASM was not going to be an easy "drop-into" the EFM that we thought it would be using the method that was planned out with our ASM programmer.

We had to change the route of how that was going to work and we needed the source code to do it. Due to contractual reasons we only recently acquired the source code and found it was not compatible.

In addition, the relationship with the programmer broke down to the point it was untenable to work together and we brought in new blood.

Suffice to say we now have the source code and those holes and gaps are being plugged and a new way of getting the ASM and EFM talking to each other is being worked on.

When? I hear you scream at the screen...well...soon TM

Sorry, I had to...

In fact, in theory, it should take 2 weeks to integrate....yes I know....

However; we have to go through a set process, so please bear with me to explain it.

Step 1, we integrate the ASM and EFM now the gaps and holes are plugged.

Step 2, we test the hell out of it.

Step 3, we give it to our testers to make sure all ASM and EFM integration is working correctly.

Step 4, we give it to our Hawk pilot friends who will fly it, fly it some more and then fly it some more again, all the while making notes for us on it's performance on the ground and in the air; stalls, spins, take off, climb acceleration, dive acceleration, drag...the list goes on.

Step 5, we tweak it based on their feedback and they sign it off...champagne falls from the heavens, fireworks light up the sky and the VEAO team jet off to the Bahamas for a beach party to celebrate...wait, I didn't sign off those expenses Pete!!!

Step 6, we give it to ED to verify the flight model to their standards, be it EFM or PFM.

Step 7, we get it to you.

Now, any one of those steps could go very easily or very horribly wrong. Development is not as easy as it said it would be when I spoke to the recruiter back in the 80's when leaving school.

As we progress through those steps, I will let you know and keep you informed.

You may remember seeing a video of the Hawk on the ground using the EFM, that was the old way of doing things which simply did not work. So whilst we made progress a brick wall sprung up and halted the development.

My intention when we started this project was to have it to you far far sooner than now and everyone would be enjoying flying it. But sadly due to the problems I've mentioned above, plus a few more headaches, and as frustrating as it is for me to still not be flying it, it will be coming to you soon, you have my word.

Bugs...bugs...bugs...well we squashed quite a few recently. With the patch of DCS 1.5 on the horizon we have been hard at work fixing things that either didn't work, didn't work properly or needed tweaking. I've recently posted up what is expected to be released with 1.5 and we are still working on more so thank you to everyone that has posted up their issues, we are listening to you.

New Skins

In addition, with the introduction of new countries into DCS 1.5 we will be adding to our collection a Swiss skin pack. Our talented research assistant Dominic surprised me this weekend at Duxford showing me the skins he has produced, that I had no idea existed.

I have yet to bring them into DCS 1.5 which I will be doing over the next few days and hope these will be released with the patch once I've checked all is OK with them. I'll be posting some screenshots soon.

Which brings me on nicely to Cockpit Textures.

We listened to your feedback and updated them, we listened again (after texturegate) and decided to bring into the team a new texture artist to start from scratch. He has been hard at work making new textures for the P-40 and now that he has finished those he has started on Hawk ones. In which time we managed to get some photos of some in-service RAF Hawks.

So, when he is finished with them and we sneakily integrate them into a future DCS patch without telling you, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised when you spawn in the cockpit.

Rear Seat...hmmmmm

We now have indication from ED on how rear seat integration works within DCS 1.5 and unfortunately it's not good news for us.

I'll keep it short. We would have to start our ASM programming again from scratch. The current code structure we have for Hawk will simply cause more problems than if we started again and will not work with ED's structure.

Right now we will not be doing rear seat integration into the current Hawk module.

P-40F

One good thing is that we have learnt a lot of lessons from developing Hawk for DCS. Those lessons have paid off developing P-40F.

However; one drawback is that a prop aircraft is vastly different from a jet aircraft in more ways than is obvious.

With that being said we have experienced problems with P-40 EFM that we don't see in Hawk, namely wheels and suspension on the ground and how they move. Our team is tirelessly working around the clock, with help from ED to solve one major bug which is gear suspension.

The problem with the gear is that the aircraft suspension code isn’t working properly and that the P-40F rides around with its gear at full extension at all times making it unstable.

Right now all focus is on that. The rest of development will fall in very quickly behind it as not much is left to do as those that have flown it at Duxford over the past two air shows can attest to.

What it does mean is that I cannot guarantee that it will be out in September. No one is more disappointed with that than Pete, the team and I am, trust me.

I can't even do the promo video, unless you just want to see it taxiing around the airfield. P-40 Wacky Races anyone?

As with Hawk EFM, we have to go through the same steps as 3 onwards above and we should be at step 6 by now.

One thing I can guarantee is that we will not release the aircraft until it is right, nor will ED let us.

Again, I will keep you updated on progress.

Typhoon

A general update is that work has started on the digital displays. I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Priller to the team who is working with me on the digital displays.

I've spent the past several months evaluating what avionics suite functions we can and can't put into the aircraft, for security reasons, and I will be working full time on Typhoon personally from October as I have left my day job to work on VEAO full time.

What this does mean is that we will not meet my personal 2015 deadline for Typhoon release. I wanted to be flying around in DCS with it by Christmas but apparently Santa thinks I've been naughty and so it is not to be.

The new external model is almost complete and work on Typhoon cockpit will start soon. For now, we are using our military demonstrator to work on the systems which will simply plug into the new model.

I'm looking forward to my next trip to Conningsby in the coming weeks to play some more with the MHDD displays.

Staff and Recruiting

In addition to Priller, I'd also like to welcome Kevin "Gibbage" Miller to the team. Gibbage is renowned for his work on the original IL2 games with Oleg Maddox. He worked on models for Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters and 1946 all under the IL2 banner and we are very pleased to see his excellent work for DCS, which his first aircraft is being animated right now by our team.

If you've flown IL2 you will have likely flown in one of his models.

From what I saw this weekend of the aircraft he has modeled and textured, you will be blown away. Oh yeah, that's one of the surprise ones you'll hear about soon ;)

Welcome to the VEAO team guys.

We are constantly looking for talented people to join our team and right now is no exception.

If you have aeronautical engineering background or experience and can program in C++ then please contact me via PM to have an initial chat.

As we work on more complex aircraft we need to expand the team.

I know there are some very talented people in this community and I'd like to reach out to you before I go to the wider market.

Come and join us on our DCS journey.

In Summary

I'm sure there is some news above that you didn't want to hear but if you know me by now, you know I like to tell it how it is, truth, fact and what I would want to know if I was a customer or generally interested.

We are working on some great but complex aircraft and with a new DCS engine we are going to come up with obstacles. But we have a great team that are dedicated to bringing these products to you and I am proud to work with them.

I hope you got some useful information from above and I look forward to flying with you in DCS Soon TM, maybe in two weeks...who knows....

Chris and Pete

• Like 1
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good news on the Hawk! I can't wait to try out the EFM. Disappointing regarding the rear seat (for you and us I'm sure) but it is understandable. Will we at least be getting the rear seat modeled so that we can fly it from the back seat at some point? I love the view from the rear of the Hawk. Oh and very good news on the textures, I don't think the Hawk is bad at all as is, but I wont complain about any improvements. Thank you very much for the update, always appreciated. :thumbup:

Edited by Python

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Man, reading your story it feels like a hurdle contest where every time you think you cleared it, the damn thing hooks your pinkie toe and you fall face down smack on the gravel, onyl to get up, brush yourself off and run to take the next hurdle... Rinse and repeat. Oh the frustration, you must've thrown something out the window at some point?

Anyway, it's straight up and honest, I appreciate it, hence I'll keep buying modules, be it VEAO or another third party. We all benefit from it in some way or another.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Sad to hear about the rear seat, on of the big items we had planned to use if we adopted the Hawk as our training aircraft in the 476th.

Trust me buddy I'm gutted too. But sometimes we have to make harsh decisions based on what's in front of us.

Depending on how ED implement it, you may still be able to "sit" in the back seat. We'll see.

Take your time Chris. Release the planes when they are ready and up to DCS standards. Everyone forgets about the delays when the end result is excellent, but most people don't forgive a not-so-spectacular result.

Great to hear that you have someone from the original IL-2 series with you. Presumably he is working on a prop-plane other than the P40, correct?

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Ells228,

Thanks for the update and educating us on the trials and tribulations of software development.

Keep up the Excellent work!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

You made my decision for me.

I really do appreciate the updates and most are positive. I have a buddy who is putting together a basic flight training program for me and he recently asked if I'd prefer to train in the Hawk, or the L-39. I own both, and was leaning towards the Hawk being a western cockpit and all. This new info about multi-Crew not going to be available changes things drastically. I know you guys are just as disappointed as we the consumers are. The simple fact of the matter is, I already purchased the Hawk, and it IS an enjoyable aircraft to fly around. I just can't use it for it's intended purpose. Again, thank you for the update. We look forward to many more great modules and maps from VEAO. -Woog

I'm looking into that in the next few weeks. Trying to get the controls indicator working at the moment.

Thanks Chris, please keep us informed on that aspect, I've been looking forward to climbing into the rear seat for a long time. I'm excited for pretty much everything you guys have going, best of luck.. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the update. Tough road. Keep digging. We will all benefit from your hard work and the umbrella drinks in the Bahamas...

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Thanks for the update! Good luck!

Still enjoying the Hawk and can't wait for the P40F. :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord