Things you learned playing DCS: F-14B

CheckGear

At that time it was extremely difficult to design the flight simulator, not because flight modeling (that was easy actually) but by the user interface. A single low resolution CGA/EGA/VGA display, 16 colors if even that.

And then you needed to get all the important flight instruments on that one screen!

That was just a crazy job!

Image7.gif

That is what I started with, simply a amazing back then. Still have the old joystick, three buttons and amazingly huge throw and adjustable spring strength:

GRAVIS-Joystick--peliohjain-f19cf3523e94e82f-medium.jpg

I should buy the adapter to get that thing working, it is still so amazingly good at hand - no wonder it was reviewed back at the time best joystick you could have. Loosen the spring completely and you have no centering, stick moves smoothly in the high angle of axis and it stays there where you leave it. Just amazing.

Now look at the various other simulators from that era like "Fighter-Bomber" and you had even less data, only way really to show all that was to use a HUD, even when the aircraft would had only a gunsight.

But even today I enjoy a lot to fly a "Hind" from 1996, regardless its so limited these days, it surely does offer all needed data.

And considering that to F-14, it really puts you value more of the aircraft avionics designs as you learn more from that than just wanting a modern HUD.

Hold my beer. :D

My first sim was Psion's Flight simulator, which would be about 1982/83.

My first Joystick was the Kempston Competition pro. All microswitches, but it was dirt easy to fix and rewire when it went wrong, and easy to mod and put in suckers to stick it on the desk. I wish I still had it.

My first combat sim was digital integrations Fighter Pilot. God it was primitive, but didnt I think it was the bestest thing ever back in 1983.

We have all come an incredibly long way.

The forest is old, very old. So old that I almost feel young again, as I have not felt since I traveled with you children. It is old and full of memory....... :D

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache