Rotor System

with 900 of that at night using NVGs

Damn, that's why i've never get occasion to see your's Mi-17's during my deploy in Afghanistan in 2011 :D

Thank you for the explanation and that vid! I love pictorials

Pay good attetion what Alpha One Six give about Mi-17 becouse if Belsimtek Hind will come true one day You will have shorter way to learn Mi-24.

They have many similar or same systems or parts like main rotor hub for example.

For now i can't wait Mi-17 too.

Edited by CYGAN apa.sq

AlphaOneSix, can I ask what kind of missions you do on Afghanistan, and why you fly at night? Also are your pilots using GPS to find their destination?

Thanks.

Maybe classified...? :music_whistling::D

Best regards to you and all your collegues. Have you met our Czech AF Hip pilots and staff? Say hello to them from me, too. :D They should be training Afghan AF Hip pilots somewhere in Kabul.

When in Kabul, I never really get out of my own compound at the International Airport. Although I do have some friends that work with Afghan MoI with their Mi-17s.

AlphaOneSix, can I ask what kind of missions you do on Afghanistan, and why you fly at night? Also are your pilots using GPS to find their destination?

We do all kinds of missions. We fly at night because it is safer. Can't hit what you can't see. Well...unless it's just your time, I suppose. And yes, we use GPS to navigate...but after some time in the same place, you know the area so well you don't really need it.

I'm an Mi-17 crew chief (mechanic, loadmaster, flight engineer, door gunner, etc.).

I have all of the maintenance and flight documentation, as well as quite a bit of training material. The stuff I have been posting so far is from a flash-based training program.

I fly in an Mi-17 nearly every night. I'm in Afghanistan right now, and our two Mi-17s that I fly on and maintain are parked about 100 meters from me right now.

I have 6 years of experience working on and flying in Mi-17s. I've got several hours of flight time, mostly hover practice, but I also have done some pattern work. I am a private pilot (fixed wing only), but that's just a spare time hobby when I'm back home. I only have about 100 hours of flight time as a private pilot. I have almost 1,000 flight hours as an Mi-17 crew chief, with 900 of that at night using NVGs.

I worked on AH-64s in the U.S. Army a long time ago, but that doesn't have a lot of relevancy here. I also work on Bell 412s and a couple of other aircraft types, but I "specialize" in the Mi-17, you could say.

THANKS ! Really glad for you, you really do a super job, I'm sure many of us are jealous ;-)

Take care dude, and come back home in one piece

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Take care dude, and come back home in one piece

Thanks! My trips are only about 2 months long at a time. So basically I go home for 2 months, then go to A-stan for 2 months, then home again for 2 months...etc.

This is my 18th trip to A-stan. So that's about 3 years in A-stan in the last 6 years. :D But then again I'm an evil, war-mongering, money-grubbing contractor, so it all balances out I suppose. ;)

AlphaOneSix, I salute you...be careful over there (do they need any "old" UH-60 drivers over there...I liked the money-grubbing part...lol)

You can try in US. Custom , they flying on UH-1 :)

One day in 2011 in Ghazni i saw formation of six of them . They landing to refuel.... what a sight!!!

I was during run to QRF so I don't have time to take any photos .

I found one here

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-(US-Department/Bell-UH-1H-Huey/1196466/L/&sid=1dc2215d2f63577eadf80988cff01601

You can try in US. Custom , they flying on UH-1 :)

One day in 2011 in Ghazni i saw formation of six of them . They landing to refuel.... what a sight!!!

I was during run to QRF so I don't have time to take any photos .

I found one here

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-(US-Department/Bell-UH-1H-Huey/1196466/L/&sid=1dc2215d2f63577eadf80988cff01601

Most of those are flown by contractors anyway. The one you linked is a Department of State helicopter operated by DynCorp, and DynCorp is HUGE.

• 3 weeks later...
Alpha do the russians continue to supply parts for the Afghan air force or do they get their material elsewhere?

I have no affiliation with the Afghan Air Force, so I have no idea. Although I can say that the supply chain for the Mi-8 is very interesting...most parts go from middle man to middle man, or come from various approved overhaul facilities.

If you are asking if parts are supplied (and paid for) by the Russian government...then heck no. The Afghan Air Force pays suppliers for parts just like everyone else. That much I know for sure. (Although sometimes the parts are paid for by the U.S. government...depending on the circumstances.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Swashplate

Some note on terminology differences from the figure and what some people may be familiar with:

"Plate carrier assembly" = Drive Link (sometimes called Scissors) - This clamps to the main drive shaft and is what drives the rotating portion of the swashplate

"Blade rotation pull rod" = Pitch Link or Pitch Change Rod, etc., controls pitch changes in each blade

"Plate assembly" = Swashplate, sometimes the Russians translate "swashplate" to "wobble plate". Very entertaining!

Mi-8%20Swashplate.png

Is the plate carrier assembly the part marked in the image below? And if so, is it me or is it missing from the model? :unsure:

pca.jpg.213d412e5cc74bc55b71d4bca782c0fe.jpg

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

[...]

The difference is that in a DC electromotor, the slip rings are really an assembly of strips, depending on the amount of poles the motor has. Everytime the brush jumps from one strip to the next, it will generate an arc, which contributes greatly to wear (and inefficiency) on those designs. This is why motors and generators equipped with brushes are becoming more and more uncommon. For motors there are ways to do away with the slip rings.

If you have continuous rings, there are no arcs, thus they make a lot more sense in this application.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!