Open Source Helios

[FD]Ripper

Much obliged BlueFinBima. I will try this tonight when I’m back from work. Will let you know.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Thanks for monitor work, BlueFinBima, but it turns out that's not the problem. I've just spent another few hours on this. The profile simply isn't communicating with DCS, and I can't figure out why. I've watched the Capt Zeen video tutorial at least six times now; it's not really as clear as it seems. I just can't figure out where to place your mods file, how to integrate OVSGME, or what I'm doing wrong. At this point I'm just mentally exhausted.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Hi Franx,

Take 3:15 to chill-out and watch

. I won't guarantee that it will answer all your questions, but hopefully it will explain why all the pieces exist.

It is probably useful to understand that Capt Zeen's profiles, by necessity, have had to take a different approach to the exports.lua than native Helios, however I notice that in his latest Exports (2nd May 2019) it does claim to be compatible with the AV-8B. I've never used Capt Zeen's exports, but I have no reason to think it won't work.

If no data is flowing to the Helios Control Center at all, then it is almost certainly related to the export.lua either crashing (look in DCS.log to see if this is happening), or the export.lua is not being invoked (typically can happen when someone has multiple installations of DCS and the exports.lua is in the wrong location for the DCS version being executed).

If I get a few moments, I'll try to put up a video on YouTube about viewing the data flowing to/from DCS because this might be of general interest to people struggling to get Helios working.

Stick with it...

BlueFinBima

Latest Helios Virtual Cockpit Team version of Helios can be found on Github

BlueFinBima Helios YouTube

Thanks B. Yes, I've watched your video several times. I've worked on this for about an hour this morning and still no comms between the interface and DCS. The Capt Zeen export does nothing to help. Maybe I'm messing up your mods folder. In your profile, where are you putting the mods folder that you include in your profile? I'm also assuming that your inclusion of the iris installer is only for use with a second computer; I'm using only one computer with two monitors.

Edited by franx

Hi Franx,

ignore the mods folder for the time being - it is only going to influence the exporting of viewports. If nothing in the profile is responding to DCS, then there are more fundamental problems - and we should address those first. IRIS is only for a second computer.

Do you have multiple versions of DCS installed - eg Beta, Alpha, production?

BlueFinBima

No just vanilla DCS. Standalone not Steam.

Edited by franx

I don't seem to be getting an export.lua in my Saved Games\DCS World\Scripts folder when I reset monitors and save. Weird.

Hi Franx,

It is not reset monitors that puts the export.lua into the scripts directory, it is "Add Interface" from the interface panel in the Helios Profile Editor (see

) . If you're using the export.lua from other sources - eg Capt Zeen - then you need to follow their instructions.

Cheers

BlueFinBima

I am looking for advice from someone who knows Helios (1.3 and 1.4) well.

I have used Helios (1.3.190.448) for some years, and over that time have built up displays for most of my DCS aircraft, many of them modified versions of other's efforts (thanks a million Capt Zeen).

I am considering whether I should switch to the latest version of Helios, but am reluctant to do so from fear of screwing up all my current profiles. (Needless to say, I did not document the changes I have made to my proiles over the years.)

May I ask for views on whether the change over from 1.3 to 1.4 Helios can be effected reasonably simply, and whether existing profiles can be used in their original form. I have reached the stage of life where I am forgetting more than I can remember, and am reluctant to risk having to fly without Helios or wade through complex modifications.

Thank you, in advance.

Hi Flyco,

take a backup of your %userprofile%\Documents\Helios\ directory and sub directories and you have an insurance policy.

The goal has always been to retain backwards compatibility with profiles from earlier releases, although there are no guarantees. I can't think of anything in 1.4 that might catch you out for DCS. I can't make many claims for the non-DCS aspects of Helios.

You can always install Helios 1.4 in a non-default directory without uninstalling 1.3 if you want to go down that route.

Hope this helps.

BlueFinBima

Helios & Phidget

Hello BluFinBima,

Are the Phidget controllers supported in other modules besides the original A-10 and Ka-50?

Just curious. Thanks and good luck with what you are doing.

I have to confess to being rather ignorant of all things Phidget. My gut feel is that anything that works for the A-10 and Ka-50 interfaces should work other interfaces but I could be wrong. The release of Helios which is close to shipping includes an update to increase the level of Phidget to 2.1.9 Build date Feb 15 2018.

Regards,

BlueFinBima

Thanks BluFinBima,

Finally got back online with this computer to answer. When I get time, I'll try working with it and let you know how it goes.

Another question: Capt Zeen had great artwork with his modules. Is there any chance of using this gauge artwork for the L-39 when using the generic profile? I know it would be up to him... just a thought.

1.4.2019.0616 is now available with the new Phidgets.

I can't see any reason why you can't take gauge artwork from a profile using one interface and bind it against a different interface. There may be extra work if Capt Zeen has put extra Lua logic in the profile to support the gauge, but I can't see why with a bit of ingenuity, you could not achieve what you want.

Cheers

BlueFinBima

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need Helios to do that. Search for MonitorSetup.lua

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 4 months later...

I have recently updated my Helios to 1.4. However, when using Capt Zeen's latest Huey profile, there is no slip ball shown on the panel - the instrument is there but the slip tube has no black ball in it.

Anyone else getting anything similar or any suggestions as to what might be the cause?

i've a small question guys : i run a 3 monitor F14 SIMPIT. i use helios for few hours and want to thanks a lot CPT ZEEN !

But actually the right panel appear on my monitor number 2 when i push the right panel button. ( on the monitor 1 is the main view ).

I would like to see the right panel on my monitor number 3 .how to do that ?

using the profile editor the right panel is only available on monitor 2 ..; i try to make a screen shot to join to my question.

Sans-titre.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...
I am not familiar with the A-10, but I believe that is an exported viewport from DCS. The frame is placed around the location you display it.

So I can put the bezel wherever I want, that's no problem. The issue is that the symbols displayed on the RWR are not repeated behind the bezel, and I cant find any bindings to perform that. I end up with a 'dead' RWR, and apart from the bezel cannot find any other reference to it anywhere in Helios

Any ideas where to find it? Is there a profile somewhere that I can refer to?

Cheers

Les

Hi Les,

@JG14_Smil states the situation correctly. The "contents" of the RWR have to be a viewport (ie nothing to do with Helios). Typically when DCS exports a viewport, there is no bezel, so Helios offers the bezel and a transparent area for the exported viewport to be seen through. Is the area inside the bezel transparent? Have you placed the exported viewport correctly underneath the transparent bezel? Typically what I do is take a screen shot with DCS running, but without Helios Control Center to see if the viewport is displayed in the correct position.

Hope this helps, BFB

BlueFinBima