Saitek X52 PRO or Saitek X55 Rhino? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Gekcojet

Default Saitek X52 PRO or Saitek X55 Rhino?

I am stuck between the decision of two HOTAS sticks right now, this will be my first one I will ever own. I am currently using a XG900 joystick so the build quality of the X55 will be no problem because my joystick is all plastic and hasn't broke yet after about 2 years of use. I just need a HOTAS stick to play DCS games, I currently own A-10C and I am thinking about buying Black Shark 2.

I have read up on both sticks and the X55 apparently has some problems with the twist rudder becoming squeaky (some people say it goes away with in a month or two of use), and also the centring ring doesn't properly centre the joystick and some buttons stop working.

Everyone says it is worth the extra money for the X52 PRO, but people say that some of the buttons on the stick stop responding within 1 week - 2 months or the stick completely dies, but some people love their X52 PRO even after 6-10 years if use.
The Thrustmaster Warthog is out of my price range or else I would buy that, but if anyone has the X52 PRO or the X55 Rhino do you have any problems with your stick? and this really isn't much of a problem with the Rhino because of the changeable springs but how loose is the stick? (preferably the X52 PRO because it seems loose in videos)
Gekcojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Hadwell

I upgraded to the X-55 from the X-52 pro, the X-55 is far superior, only issue i have is the hand rest on the stick isn't adjustable.
Hadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
trietnguyen

I use X-52pro
it has a reasonable price, I have used it for more than four years
trietnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
King_Hrothgar

I'm using one of the original batch X-52 Pro's from around 9 years ago, still works though it is starting to show its age. On mine, all the buttons still work, though a pair of them only work maybe 4 of 5 times. The stick itself still works good as new and remains very accurate. For me the problem area is the throttle. It uses old fashioned pots instead of hall sensors and they are starting to wear out it seems. They are doing a lot of jittering now but as said, the thing is about 9 years old and has been used heavily during the course of that time. So that's pretty good quality imho.

In any case, I'm actually thinking of picking up an X-55 to replace it in the next month or two. Hadwell, can you say what specifically about it is better aside from the obvious "moar buttons!"
King_Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Devrim
Veteran

It's good you to open this thread. I'm thinking to buy X55 too.

Currently I have X52Pro. I'm using it more than 3½ years, and no any problem. Stick, throttle and all buttons work great. But I just realized, if you connect throttle to USB HUB, you see flickering input, remarkably.

Well; I'm planning to switch to X55 next month. I wonder that I will gain more buttons or functions, or lose some of them? I'll be happy if anybody (who has used X52 and 55) can compare or lead me to existed thread about this... {Thank you.}

MY MODS | MY CONTROLLER PROFILE
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
arkroyale048

Does the X-55 have a dual stage trigger ?

That's my only turn off from the X-55.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
Devrim
Veteran

As far as I know, it has single stage, unfortunately.

MY MODS | MY CONTROLLER PROFILE
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
tommytank

I had an X52 pro for many years; after returning an X-52 std because one of the hat switches didn't work.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another Saitek stick, but have a Warthog now. Sold my X52 for a reasonable price, even though I'd removed the throttle detents.
tommytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
Hadwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj_Death View Post
I'm using one of the original batch X-52 Pro's from around 9 years ago, still works though it is starting to show its age. On mine, all the buttons still work, though a pair of them only work maybe 4 of 5 times. The stick itself still works good as new and remains very accurate. For me the problem area is the throttle. It uses old fashioned pots instead of hall sensors and they are starting to wear out it seems. They are doing a lot of jittering now but as said, the thing is about 9 years old and has been used heavily during the course of that time. So that's pretty good quality imho.

In any case, I'm actually thinking of picking up an X-55 to replace it in the next month or two. Hadwell, can you say what specifically about it is better aside from the obvious "moar buttons!"
well it's roughly the same quality as the x-52, the dual-throttle friction adjust is amazing on the x-55, it makes the x-52s look like it was duct taped on as an afterthought, not only does it have more buttons, but its got more rotaries, and the rotaries are also push-buttons, it has two pinky triggers on the stick to make up for the lack of the two stage trigger

but other than that, it's roughly the same quality as the x-52 pro.

basically i like to think of it as an x-52 pro with dual throttle and more rotaries and buttons... = far superior to the x-52 pro

Last edited by Hadwell; 11-25-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Hadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Muttley12

Default X-55

I've had my X-55 for about 2 months. It has allot of cool adjustable settings but has one BIG NASTY glitch. Things randomly turn on & off. Landing gear goes up & down, APU starts in flight, an engine will shut down, speed brakes will deploy. Tried calibrating, wiping out set-ups & re-loading profiles, swinging a rubber chicken in circles over the damned thing....notta. Hopefully MadCatz or Saitek will have an answer if I can get a response from them.
Muttley12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saitek, x52 pro, x55