Old Sim Pilot Coming Back

Coming back to the flight sim world from being away for the last 5 years and will be new to DCS. Upgrading my rig and I already have trackerIR 5, HOTAS X52, etc. I left when I was pretty good with IL2 and started with Falcon 4, MSCFS I, II, and III. I'm looking to get into DCS and learn a few planes. Looking for a squadron to joint and have a ton of training questions such as:

• Best hardware setup to build (gaming rig vs. gaming laptop)
  • How is Steam involved with DCS?
  • How does everyone connect with coms? (team speak vs. in game coms)
  • What are the planes to download and install (low and high models)

I'm in Phoenix, AZ and It would be great to have a local mentor/coach to contact to help me get up to speed...

Welcome!

What sparked your interest in DCS? What type of flying/aircraft do you expect/desire to do in DCS World?

I think these questions would help narrow the advice.... thanks.

EDIT: Here are some answers to your questions while waiting for more information.

Best hardware setup to build (gaming rig vs. gaming laptop)
Desktop rig is probably preferred, but that's highly dependent on your situation. You can generally get higher performance, more durable, components for cheaper prices with a desktop. Desktop is probably also better for posture/ergonomics. The consequence is a bulkier setup. Desktops also have room for upgrades/expansions which might come in handy. Here are the hardware requirements for DCS.

How is Steam involved with DCS?
Steam allows DCS World to reach a wider audience, by integrating with an application common for thousands of other games. Steam allows for the management of the software involving such items as downloads, updates, DLC (called "modules" here), purchasing, support forums and the regular Steam stuff. Once inside DCS World (I believe... I use stand alone) the interface is identical to the independent version of the software. All players can fly together, share missions, etc... DCS has it's own account system, and I'm not sure how that interacts with the Steam account. Years ago you could import Steam purchased modules into the stand alone profile, but that stopped. It might have started again though.

Steam has more general "computer game" rules which can sometimes clash with a flight simulator, and DCS does it's best to fit into those guidelines. This usually translates to steam getting less frequent, but higher quality updates to the program. Some modules might take longer to release on Steam, some sales will be shorter, and "release dates" must often be provided for steam... which usually never get met anyways. This can lead to pissed off and confused Steam users, but steam offers a lot of convenience especially if the engage DCS on a more casual basis, and own a lot more Steam games.

How does everyone connect with coms? (team speak vs. in game coms)
This is highly specific to the server you're using. The best way to determine the appropriate means is to READ THE BRIEFING which loads immediately after you join an aircraft slot. It will include information on the desired program to use, and the addresses to connect. You can always use text chat in all missions, and work is ongoing on a built in VOIP system (hardly used right now).

What are the planes to download and install (low and high models)
Going to need a lot more information from you to even makes some guesses here.
Edited by randomTOTEN

Welcome!

What sparked your interest in DCS? What type of flying/aircraft do you expect/desire to do in DCS World?

I think these questions would help narrow the advice.... thanks.

What sparked my interest? All of the youtube videos out there.

I plan on purchasing and learning the F14, F15, F16, F18, A10, Huey UH1, P51, and P47, maybe the Corsair F4. I do want to add that I would eventually like to join a squadron and do carrier landings and mid air refueling. I will be a novice - new trainee in DCS but not as a combat flight simmer. I started with Falcon 4, MSCFS 1, 2, and 3, IL2, etc. and I know how to fly but will probably need training on the different aircraft and missions etc. I also will be upgrading my rig and will have separate questions. I have a Tracker IR and HOTAS butwill post in seperate threads about hardware. Looking for help in what to buy and install... For example, "what is the difference in the aircraft that come with flaming cliffs 3 vs. buying them separately?" Seems like they's different models out there of the same plane. Reviews? What to buy and why?

Edited by Maverick1202

I plan on purchasing and learning the F14, F15, F16, F18, A10, Huey UH1, P51, and P47, maybe the Corsair F4.

That'll probably hold you over for a couple years. Sounds like you already have a good idea of what you want to get. You can either get all of those modules together, or one at a time. You'll probably by learning them one at a time anyways. Don't forget about the Russian aircraft, they can be a blast to fly too.

For example, "what is the difference in the aircraft that come with flaming cliffs 3 vs. buying them separately?" Seems like they's different models out there of the same plane. Reviews? What to buy and why?

They are the exact same aircraft (I'm specifically talking about the ones with "for DCS World" in their titles, and match the models in Flaming Cliffs 3). The aircraft were split into individual modules for sales, packs, and users that don't want to buy the entire FC collection.

Really it's a much better deal to bite the bullet and get the entire Flaming Cliffs 3 Module all in one go.

That'll probably hold you over for a couple years. Sounds like you already have a good idea of what you want to get. You can either get all of those modules together, or one at a time. You'll probably by learning them one at a time anyways. Don't forget about the Russian aircraft, they can be a blast to fly too.

They are the exact same aircraft (I'm specifically talking about the ones with "for DCS World" in their titles, and match the models in Flaming Cliffs 3). The aircraft were split into individual modules for sales, packs, and users that don't want to buy the entire FC collection.

Really it's a much better deal to bite the bullet and get the entire Flaming Cliffs 3 Module all in one go.

I heard on youtube that there might be a difference in the aircraft that come with cliffs 3 vs the "high fidelity version of the aircraft". Is there difference in some of the versions of the aircraft - Low vs. High fidelity?

confusing. there is this super carrier you can buy but then carriers come with some of the aircraft (probably the F-18). Then there is the maps you can buy (Las Vegas, Normandy, etc.). what is the best F-18 package to get? Etc...

Steam allows DCS World to reach a wider audience, by integrating with an application common for thousands of other games. Steam allows for the management of the software involving such items as downloads, updates, DLC (called "modules" here), purchasing, support forums and the regular Steam stuff. Once inside DCS World (I believe... I use stand alone) the interface is identical to the independent version of the software. All players can fly together, share missions, etc... DCS has it's own account system, and I'm not sure how that interacts with the Steam account. Years ago you could import Steam purchased modules into the stand alone profile, but that stopped. It might have started again though.

Steam has more general "computer game" rules which can sometimes clash with a flight simulator, and DCS does it's best to fit into those guidelines. This usually translates to steam getting less frequent, but higher quality updates to the program. Some modules might take longer to release on Steam, some sales will be shorter, and "release dates" must often be provided for steam... which usually never get met anyways. This can lead to pissed off and confused Steam users, but steam offers a lot of convenience especially if the engage DCS on a more casual basis, and own a lot more Steam games.

In short, Steam takes a 30% income cut from the developers just for playing pass through gate. If you don't use Steam, give everything to the developers by buying directly from them, it's they who develop DCS, not Steam. Just "my" two cents.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

confusing. there is this super carrier you can buy but then carriers come with some of the aircraft (probably the F-1cool.gif.

Supercarrier is a module (which at a given points may include the F/A-18 but normally does not) which will provide "life" on the carrier (Stennis) that already exists in DCS. With life i mean animated deck crew and the lot. Yet to be released. Basic Stennis included in DCS is lifeless, like a ghost ship.

Then there is the maps you can buy (Las Vegas, Normandy, etc.). what is the best F-18 package to get? Etc...
Maps are just part of the worlds to fly in. Normandy is ment to be used by the wardbirds that are on offer. Vegas is build around NTTR (Nevada Test and Training Range) area.

Best map to fly the F/A-18 in is either Caucasus (included in basic DCS) or Persian Gulf, each have land and sea so you can place a carrier in it to have carrier ops (hard to do in the Nevada dessert).

If you go F/A-18 i would say Persian Gulf.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I heard on youtube that there might be a difference in the aircraft that come with cliffs 3 vs the "high fidelity version of the aircraft".

This is not true. High fidelity (DCS: branded) aircraft are different models than those at the Flaming Cliffs level. The two exceptions being the Su-25 and A-10.

This Su-25 attack jet exists in two variants, Su-25A and Su-25T. Both are Flaming Cliffs level of fidelity (simple systems, cannot click cockpit)... so the difference doesn't matter.

The A-10 attack jet exists in two variants, A-10A and A-10C. The A model is Flaming Cliffs level, the C is 'high fidelity.'

Supercarrier is a module (which at a given points may include the F/A-18 but normally does not) which will provide "life" on the carrier (Stennis) that already exists in DCS. With life i mean animated deck crew and the lot. Yet to be released. Basic Stennis included in DCS is lifeless, like a ghost ship.

Maps are just part of the worlds to fly in. Normandy is ment to be used by the wardbirds that are on offer. Vegas is build around NTTR (Nevada Test and Training Range) area.

Best map to fly the F/A-18 in is either Caucasus (included in basic DCS) or Persian Gulf, each have land and sea so you can place a carrier in it to have carrier ops (hard to do in the Nevada dessert).

If you go F/A-18 i would say Persian Gulf.

What should I buy to get the best experience with the F-18 and Persian Gulf?

I heard on youtube that there might be a difference in the aircraft that come with cliffs 3 vs the "high fidelity version of the aircraft". Is there difference in some of the versions of the aircraft - Low vs. High fidelity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Combat_Simulator

The planes in the "Flaming Cliffs 3" module do not have clickable 3D cockpits, or advanced avionics/systems. They do all have full fidelity flight models.

When people reference "full fidelity", they mean clickable cockpits, realistic avionics (start procedures etc.).

Only the A-10 Warthog has both an FC3 (A-10A) and Full Fidelity (A-10C) version in the game with the "C" being fully clickable with all the bells and whistles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Combat_Simulator

The planes in the "Flaming Cliffs 3" module do not have clickable 3D cockpits, or advanced avionics/systems. They do all have full fidelity flight models.

When people reference "full fidelity", they mean clickable cockpits, realistic avionics (start procedures etc.).

Only the A-10 Warthog has both an FC3 (A-10A) and Full Fidelity (A-10C) version in the game with the "C" being fully clickable with all the bells and whistles.

So if we want full high fidelity clickable cockpits buy the aircraft separately is what I'm reading...

It's currently impossible to get a high fidelity F-15, just like it's currently impossible to get a Flaming Cliffs (low fidelity) F-16. Doesn't matter if you buy them separately, or in some pack.

Can you go to to simple start and fly mode with the high fidelity flight modules the same way to can fly the low fidelity modules?

Can you go to to simple start and fly mode with the high fidelity flight modules the same way to can fly the low fidelity modules?

Sort of. ASM (Advanced Systems Modeling) aircraft don't use the same commands as SSM (Standard System Modeling = Flaming Cliffs fidelity), but can be started with a single keyboard combo. You'll have to wait a little longer for the process to finish.

You (or mission makers) can have mission start with your airplane completely shut down, ready to move, ready to takeoff, or already in flight.

There are an assortment of "Instant Action" missions for each module to save time.

But in ASM, using weapons won't be as easy as a couple key presses like with Flaming Cliffs 3. You'll have to properly configure the sensors and weapons to successfully launch.

I've never touched the "Easy Avionics" mode, but it might simplify a lot of the weapon and detection procedures. Very few people use that mode.

Cant see anyone has mentioned this but budget allowing - DCS in VR is amazing if your buying a high end rig.

Rift S cannot go far wrong - will be amazed at how you become part of the environment - far cry from Falcon 4. Advice, if your ex Falcon 4/BMS hold fire on buying the Viper you will in its current state be disappointed as its very early access. Go for the F18 and A10c, both are excellent and will get you back into sims.

Also look at the JF17, a very complete and well done module.

Lastly goes without saying study the manuals and also the chucks guide will give you a brief synopsis (just google them).

Lastly good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

So if we want full high fidelity clickable cockpits buy the aircraft separately is what I'm reading...

No FC3 planes are the same bought individually or combined in the FC3 module.

If you are unsure just look for how to tutorials on YouTube for planes you are interested in. All the helos are full fidelity.

* DCS F-15c startup (FC3)

* DCS F/A-18C startup (Full Fidelity)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note regarding the STEAM: So far you should be able to pair your STEAM account with your DCS one thus fly modules bought on STEAM on DCS-standalone.

What was changed is that in before KEYs were issued with modules and those could be typed in DCS standalone and activate there those modules. Now everything is keyless thus this pairing in necessary.

It doesn't work in opposite way - module bought on DCS cannot be activated on STEAM platform.

In short - what you buy on STEAM it can be used on both platforms, what you buy on standalone works there exclusively.

It is a long time that I bought anything for DCS on Steam but whatever it was I simply incorporated in my DCS standalone. Thus there should not be a problem.

But as it was said here - I also prefer to rather support DCS and partners directly than through the STEAM platform (but I made no oath to do it all the time :greedy: ).

I'm smart enough to control my own platform instead of Steam doing it for me.

BTW, another no go for Steam is that they have the monopoly on some games, like almost all the race sims. Besides Life4Speed there's isn't much to get so you get stuck with Steam or nothing. I went for nothing (except L4S) since monopoly is not the way to go. That on the Steam side... now we we're talking about what again...:pilotfly:

I'm smart enough to control my own platform instead of Steam doing it for me.

BTW, another no go for Steam is that they have the monopoly on some games, like almost all the race sims. Besides Life4Speed there's isn't much to get so you get stuck with Steam or nothing. I went for nothing (except L4S) since monopoly is not the way to go. That on the Steam side... now we we're talking about what again...:pilotfly:

I also have issue with Steam as I was unable to start it offline when I wanted to play a game and I was few days out of the internet. But it is the case for the several games locked to the main platform. DCS included - unfortunately if you forget to switch to offline. (That's why I even bought 2nd copy of some games i.e. on GOG. But they do not sell DCS :D )

Yet, if someone want to have the module for the both platforms for whatever reasons - he has to go through the Steam (or pay twice). It is fair to understand the options

• Best hardware setup to build (gaming rig vs. gaming laptop)

I would go gaming rig with good cooling over a laptop, unless you are moving around all the time. DCS / well all flight sims are very hard on PC hardware.

So we have seen heat throttling on laptops. It's when the laptop cannot disperse the heat generated, so it limits it's performance to cool down.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• 1 month later...

What I have noticed a lot on these forums is that the attitude towards the FC3 models can often be very dismissive because they are low fidelity. So anyone new coming to DCS can be forgiven for thinking that they are ultra-basic. They are absolutely not. They adhere to the same sets of physics for their flight models as the full fidelity models. Take-offs, landings, and all of the bits in between are just as challenging And, although simplified to a fair degree, these are not your War Thunder planes.

Check out some of YouTube tutorials for the SU25-T to see just how involved these planes can be. There are months and months worth of play out of this plane alone. And it’s FREE! Yes, of course the full-fidelity models are more taxing, and take things to the next level. But the FC3 models are a fantastic springboard. Not only that, but if you buy the full FC3 package, which is incredible value, you get a good spread of planes to try. At the moment, with the sale on, the FC3 full package is $24.99. They are almost giving it away! And that can then be used to steer you towards your full fidelity purchases of the future.

And also well worth listening to the guy that suggested VR. It is a total game-changer. The difference between looking at a picture of a world, and being IN that world. Most people who have sampled the delights of VR never, ever go back, myself included. I don’t think I could play “flat” now, even for a bet. Once in, your whole mind and body is fooled. Even when taxiing, when I bring the plane to a stop, my head and upper body nods forward a couple of inches. I just can’t help it. Such a weird feeling. And, after a long sortie, getting back to base and opening the canopy, and genuinely feeling that you are sucking in fresher air, and feeling less claustrophobic. VR is one of those things that you try your best to imagine, but cannot even come close without trying it. It does demand a fairly hefty system to run it though, which is it’s biggest pitfall.

FC-3 aircraft mostly lack the detailed clickable cockpits or the detailed systems modelling. There is a lot of fun to be had in flying the F-15C or Mig/SU they are a lighter aircraft but they are still good fun to fly.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

In short, Steam takes a 30% income cut from the developers just for playing pass through gate.

Many forgets that everything that Valve does with its speculated 30% cut, is provide everything the developers needs to do business.

Valve host files, they provides all the servers, networking, marketing, forums, feedback, payment etc systems for the developers to utilize.

All the developer itself really is required is to just upload files to Valve's offered service and Valve takes care of rest.

But if the developer itself already has everything else in the place, all the electronic stores, backup servers, beta programs, forums, support systems etc etc and are paying all their networking and servers all across the world.... It might not be benefit to have Valve there too.

But if Valve brings more buyers that wouldn't otherwise come, then it is always benefit for the developer. And each user using Steam is not away from Developer, as it is as well less requirement for investment to developers services and systems.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.